Bailey at 7?

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or we win with Wakeham, Jake, etc. It doesn't matter who plays, we just need to start winning and building combinations.
Hmmmm, I think BBO has the most potential to be a longterm 7 so if that gets fast tracked all the best for us IMO.

Avo would have to change his style to ever succeed as a gun 7. Not saying he can't given time, but the skillset required are not his strengths and seems a waste of his talents and risky to try and reinvent him at this stage.

Wakeham is massively inconsistent and prone to brain farts so I don't see a sucessful future with him at 7.

And Flannagan hasn't shown me one single thing to think he could ever be a class halfback.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Averillo definitely first crack but im opposite to alot on here and think bbo can make 7 his own next to burton and surprise alot on here with a better team to help him ,sam w is an example

Diatribe 2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey Guy

What do you guy think of offering Dylan Napa a lifeline to play that impact winger role at the beginning of each half?
He could be devastating and he would come cheap

Regards

D2

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I think BBO has the most potential to be a longterm 7 so if that gets fast tracked all the best for us IMO.

Avo would have to change his style to ever succeed as a gun 7. Not saying he can't given time, but the skillset required are not his strengths and seems a waste of his talents and risky to try and reinvent him at this stage.

Wakeham is massively inconsistent and prone to brain farts so I don't see a sucessful future with him at 7.

And Flannagan hasn't shown me one single thing to think he could ever be a class halfback.
What's a halfback though? Look at Hughes and Cleary, most people would agree they were the two best halfbacks in the game this season yet their styles are totally different, so much so that if you slotted Hughes into the Panthers system he wouldn't be anywhere near as effective as he currently is.

Rugby league is a different beast right now with all these rule changes and I think people need to stop being so focused on positions and focus more on roles and look at what's most effective for us. I still see so many on here with the mindset of a halfback needing to be a a great organiser and kicker and we need just that so Burton can focus on being a runner...it's just such a simple way of looking at things. If Burton can put up those monster bombs from our own half then why wouldn't he be our primary kicker?

I agree that in terms of skillset and in the traditional sense BBO looks the most promising as a halfback but i just don't see him being the most effective choice right now. As I said in my previous post we don't need to rush him, let him develop in the lower grades and/or be blooded in off the bench.

I just hope that whatever Baz does he decides to plays to our strengths. I absolutely hated his cookie cutter approach with the team this season and I'm praying he doesn't do the same next season and looks focuses on what's most effective for us rather than just how he wants us to play.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guy

What do you guy think of offering Dylan Napa a lifeline to play that impact winger role at the beginning of each half?

Regards

D2
Fool

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree. BBO is my boy, but he needs time to develop and not burn out. So he either plays C Cup, or he plays off the bench. Averilo has had some good touches thisbyear, but doesnt seem to be an a hb. This being said though, he did shoulder the playmaking duties, which i think kind of stifled his natural game. With Burton coming next year i think he can do a good job there. Players like Burton make the players around them better, so with some luck averilo will develop nicely there.
BBO could be anything, so I think some development in reserves would be the best thing for him with a few games off the bench. I know that Barrett is the "halves whisperer" so they say, but I would get Matty Johns or Cooper Cronk in to polish his game.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey Guy

Regards

D2
He's not available. He's going into the movie business & has tossed in his footy career.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
BBO could be anything, so I think some development in reserves would be the best thing for him with a few games off the bench. I know that Barrett is the "halves whisperer" so they say, but I would get Matty Johns or Cooper Cronk in to polish his game.
He certainly looks to be a star of the future, and we have him signed up for a few more years, so he appears to be our long term prospect.
These youngsters have really suffered over the past 2 years due to covid restrictions, so he really does need some time in C Cup. Some astute halves coaching would be great for him too!

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah would be great getting someone in to work with Burton, BBO, Averillo and Rajab - I wonder how much time Barrett spends with his halves..

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought shifty was helping our halves out ?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My only concern for BBO'S long term future is the way barret play's him and coaches him, that's the only thing that could fuck him up long term.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wherever BBO ends up playing his best football whether it be 7 or 9 I think time will tell. Until then I disagree strongly with the opinions he‘s best off spending a year in Reggies to find his feet or whatever the reason.

He’s played NRL and excelled, he’s not gonna learn anything in Reggies that he‘s not ready to learn in NRL now. He should be in the 17 (bench as THE utility) as long as form and injury allow. He can play minutes, most of them I’d assume, at 9 and get a run at halves and maybe even elsewhere as needed.

Not only be best for BBO, it’d be best for the team.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wherever BBO ends up playing his best football whether it be 7 or 9 I think time will tell. Until then I disagree strongly with the opinions he‘s best off spending a year in Reggies to find his feet or whatever the reason.

He’s played NRL and excelled, he’s not gonna learn anything in Reggies that he‘s not ready to learn in NRL now. He should be in the 17 (bench as THE utility) as long as form and injury allow. He can play minutes, most of them I’d assume, at 9 and get a run at halves and maybe even elsewhere as needed.

Right now I don't believe that BBO knows what is truly required to fully develop his body and, as many would say his mind, to play consistent level NRL quality every week, for 80 minutes, week in week out, against all opposition. Talent only gets you so far, after that it's puting in the time, to learn, do the gym work and train so that he is able to use that talent consistently. I'm sure he will be training with the NRL squad and coaching staff every day, learning from the experienced players how to do recovery, so that he can play at his best in the next game and the one after. Learning how to manage the inevitable niggling injuries, avoid them and overcome them when they do occur. Just training and hanging with the NRL squad he will learn what he has to do every day in every game to earn an NRL spot, to demand that he be picked.

To be frank "he’s played NRL and excelled" for a few minutes here and there in the odd game, maybe 5 out of the 9 games he played, but consistently over a whole game, let alone game after game, not even remotely close.

Always a Bulldog

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Avo's been done to death and isn't even close to a half. I don't know if even he know's what position he is. BBO and i'd even have Wakehman in front of Avo in that spot.

Diatribe 2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Oh I see what’s happening here
You didn’t come up with the idea so you don’t like it
That’s the trouble with these internet forans, it’s the silly ones who spoil it for the good ones
Ask Kieran Forum

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

It's partially about developing his game but it's also a good opportunity to get game time and combinations with Alamoti, Topine and (I'm hoping) Averillo at FB. they could all be in the first grade team in the next 2 seasons - if it all works well.

The other factor is Burton. He needs a competent halves partner to take 40-55 possessions a game and make a lot of them effective. Is BBO ready to do that? I think Wakeham is in a better position to support him in that role.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah would be great getting someone in to work with Burton, BBO, Averillo and Rajab - I wonder how much time Barrett spends with his halves..
Yep. I know Barret is the "halves whisperer" but now he is a first grade coach, so he has to learn to delegate some of these things.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This award is more concerning from a coaching standpoint. Baz watched all games live and at least a couple of times on tape. How he could come away thinking averillo was his best player this year. Is a massive worry[emoji848]

BBO hasn’t played any hooker in his development until he was thrown in at NRL level this year. I ageee he is much more a half prospect than a hooker.
Coaches award isn't necessarily about "best" player.