Bailey at 7?

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If we can’t recruit Pearce for next year, would anyone suggest Bailey Biondi Odo at 7 and Averillo off the bench?
Bailey needs time to develop and play some reserve grade. We dont really need to rush him into first grade same with alamoti, the step up from sg/ jersey flegg to first grade is big and they need to develop toughness and to adapt to the environment of playing against men and not just skinny boys.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I like him in his role off the bench but he’d benefit from a year in mounties with the odd call up for firsts. Hopefully by the start of 23 he’s knocking down the door to be starting first grade 7.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t want to ruin him. Out of our halves left (Averillo, Wakeham and BBO) he has the most potential. If we don’t recruit a half I’d give Averillo first crack at 7. And have BBO on the bench. I’d be happy for Wakeham to play 14 and have BBO in reserve grade to plight his craft.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We're starting with a Burton/Averillo pairing unless something massive happens between now and round 1. It would be awful management not to play Jake in favour of another rookie after throwing him into the deep end this season. BBO doesn't need to be rushed like we've done with so many others, let him develop in reserve grade and/or blood him off the bench.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d have averilo &bbo both of the bench they can both cover multiple positions,with a couple of big boppers also on the bench.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we can’t recruit Pearce for next year, would anyone suggest Bailey Biondi Odo at 7 and Averillo off the bench?
I think BBO has a much higher ceiling than Averillo. (He at least is a natural half - Averillo is NOT a half)

BBO needs time to develop in reggies or as 14. To throw him into the starting 7 to start the season. won’t be of the benefit of either himself or the club.

I don’t know who is the 7 next year. Whoever it is from the current roster is a poor option

I think Averillo should be the 14 to at least start the season. Hopefully he can find his best position by playing a variety of positions off the bench.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think BBO has a much higher ceiling than Averillo. (He at least is a natural half - Averillo is NOT a half)

BBO needs time to develop in reggies or as 14. To throw him into the starting 7 to start the season. won’t be of the benefit of either himself or the club.

I don’t know who is the 7 next year. Whoever it is from the current roster is a poor option

I think Averillo should be the 14 to at least start the season. Hopefully he can find his best position by playing a variety of positions off the bench.
I think there are a few players who got games this year who need some development time in reserves. They might not like it, but it would be in their best interests for a longer, more successful career. There aren't many players who are like Lamb who can come from U18s to first grade & star from the get go.

Last edited:

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I liked him way more off the bench into 9. Wasn’t impressed with any time he spent in the halves lol

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Would prefer BBO get a season as starting half under his belt in reggies than be coming off the bench in firsts. Need him learning that role properly.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would prefer BBO get a season as starting half under his belt in reggies than be coming off the bench in firsts. Need him learning that role properly.
Somewhat agree but not all year hopefully, i dont think he got much licence in the one or two games he started at half in FG? A whole year though if your right and that happens, if it does I can see him leaving the Dogs due to getting fucked around too much with us.
I could be wrong but sensed he doesn't like being a 9/tackle bitch really.Hopefully playing there was just out of necessity and to ground/toughen him up a bit because long term he is too small and potentially(not assured)has much more to offer us than playing/benching there.
Plus we have possibly have a shitload of other options at 9 with 3 confirmed and others mooted to coming on board.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Somewhat agree but not all year hopefully, i dont think he got much licence in the one or two games he started at half in FG? A whole year though if your right and that happens, if it does I can see him leaving the Dogs due to getting fucked around too much with us.
I could be wrong but sensed he doesn't like being a 9/tackle bitch really.Hopefully playing there was just out of necessity and to ground/toughen him up a bit because long term he is too small and potentially(not assured)has much more to offer us than playing/benching there.
Plus we have possibly have a shitload of other options at 9 with 3 confirmed and others mooted to coming on board.
If he wants to be a halfback in the future, this season has really stuffed him. I wasn't surprised that he was fairly ordinary in the halves for the 2 games he played there at the end of the season. The unfortunate thing in a team that is going so poorly is the pressure to change things up is immense. But most players do best with a consistent role in the team. He did quite well in the utility role, all things being considered, and he showed he wants to be playing at NRL level. But if we want him as a potential long term halfback, he needs time in reggies (has he even played a game there yet?) learning to be a halfback at that level.

If we are really struggling come halfway through the season, then you might be right, we might see him back in NRL. But it takes time for most players to develop, and as things stand Averillo and Wakeham are both currently above BBO in the pecking order for who partners Burton, they have to fail first, but the way to take advantage of that is for BBO to be playing 80 minutes a game consistently in the halves role designed to compliment Burton. If that means playing reggies, so be it, but that is preferable in 2022 to him coming off the bench in a utility role in firsts, and missing out on valuable halves development time as a result.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully we will get a full season of NSW Cup next year, having missed out for the last 2 years. That will give a number of our younger players much needed game experience, as well as training time, to work on their skills. I don't see BBO having an issue with training with the NRL squad every week, plus being the full time halfback in NSW Cup for the start of next season, with the occasional call up to NRL games if required. BBO plainly isn't ready mentally or physically for a full time, every week, NRL gig, he seems smart enough to realise that. His time will come, if he is good enough, works hard enough, and by doing that demands to be picked.

Always a Bulldog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind it but I think Averillo gets first crack.