Back 5

Wiggs

Waterboy
Reaction score
Is this the best back 5 we've had on the park at once in the NRL era?

Yep, big call, and early days.

We've had plenty of individual stars at different times, however cant recall a superior 5 to current.

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is this 'potentially' the best back 5 we've had on the park since maybe the 04 GF?

Yep ok, big call, and yep very early days.

We've had plenty of individual stars at different times, however cant see 5 all in the same team that would be superior to current.

If so, what 5, what year?
I do like our current back 5

2012 was a good back 5 too some workers mixed with X factor
1. Barba
2. Wright
3. J Moz
4. Inu
5. Perrett

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is this 'potentially' the best back 5 we've had on the park since maybe the 04 GF?

Yep ok, big call, and yep very early days.

We've had plenty of individual stars at different times, however cant see 5 all in the same team that would be superior to current.

If so, what 5, what year?
Was about to go back to some pre 04 teams. I'd struggle to name a better backline at any point in the last 20 years. We've had some good ones. But right now I think we're good even if we're down a couple of first choice backs. Haven't had any part of the team in too long where it felt that way.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our backline is great at the moment but nothing will beat this back 5 from 2004.. The year before that we had Vagana instead of Tonga..

1: Patten
2: El Masri
3: Harris
4: Tonga
5: Utai
2004 roster was almost unbeatable. Haz and Utai might struggle to establish themselves in today's game I think. But back then before every winger had to be 100ish kg or an absolute freakish athlete if they're smaller they were awesome. End of the era with small wingers when they were getting about.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
2004 roster was almost unbeatable. Haz and Utai might struggle to establish themselves in today's game I think. But back then before every winger had to be 100ish kg or an absolute freakish athlete if they're smaller they were awesome. End of the era with small wingers when they were getting about.
Man I loved Utai but he would be owned now in aerial contests. Bloke was a beast though.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
In the 04 semi finals the cowboys exposed utai under contested high balls.

I think that was the beginning of the current Trend for tall athletic wingers

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow big call yes but yeh back 5 looking the goods, like to see them against Penrith. Think we r getting better from here. I’m just intrigued as to how we hold out against the top weights. I think we have the game to upset them. I didn’t like Melbourne spine players running us through the middle to snatch the game.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Im not sure if its best in Dogs Nrl era but it comes close. 2004 team can't be beaten.

As for 2024, according to my calculations and based on current form, and man to man comparisons...

We have the 4th best back 5 this year behind Panthers, Roosters and Sharks

We better than melb ( our centres are way better than Smith/Meaney)
Roosters are better
Manly has turbo and garrick, rest are ok
Eels have gutho and thats it
Broncos have Walsh, staggs cobbo. Rest are ok (Arthurs, Mariner)
Panthers better
Sharks slightly better.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our backline is great at the moment but nothing will beat this back 5 from 2004.. The year before that we had Vagana instead of Tonga..

I’m not sure the year, but we had (basically SBW instead of Harris)
1. Patten
2. El Masri
3. SBW
4. Tonga
5. Utai
Very special backline

1991 we had a potent backline:
1.Ewan McGrady
2. Jonathan Davies
3. Darren Smith
4. Jarrod McCracken
5. Matt Ryan

1995 was pretty special too:
1. Rod Silva
2. Jason Williams
3. John Timu
4. Matt Ryan
5. Daryl Halligan

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Even better with Lolesi in the centres. Played 20 games but missed the GF through injury

3: Lolesi

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great back 5 in terms of strike power, speed and finishing. Yes we could have a better fullback (Barba for example) but the 2 wingers are both quick, one is a meter eater one has a good read in defence and is a rocket. And our centre are both young and still not close to the top of their game. Tracey is very underrated too. Also 2 games in so as they gel it will only be better and better.

slot presenting back in and maybe a distributing half and both edges will be as lethal as each other.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I do like our current back 5

2012 was a good back 5 too some workers mixed with X factor
1. Barba
2. Wright
3. J Moz
4. Inu
5. Perrett
My All time Favourite backline, Barba and when we bought Inu over. Those were some good times.