Averillo & Wakeham

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can tell Wakeham isn't ready. I really wish we played him every game this year. It would of fast tracked his development imo... I'd still be going with him in the halves next year with Green at this stage (pending recruitment). The pace Lewis plays at is frustrating.
Or the other way to see it is playing him early in a team going so poorly could have dented him... hard to know I suppose... either way, he has potential... its now up to TB to try and get it out of him

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Averillo played injured. Pulled a muscle in his quad the day before from kicking goals. He done well and told sg not to take him off! Good signs from him! Can’t wait to see him get a full pre season under his belt hopefully owns the 5/8 spot next year

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They finally got to see a fair bit of game time together. What did you think ?

I'd be more concerned if we hadn't signed Green also. Hopefully they'll get better under Barrett. Georgallis said after last week he wants Averillo to get more involved and you'd have to agree. He didn't really take the line on tonight.
Averillo has a future.
Wakham does not.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
was that the 1st time they both played together? it was probably the best we could have asked from them as a pair. combination obviously needs work, would prefer to give them 1st shot next yr under barrett

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They both still have a ways to go, but early signs look promising.

Averillo:
  • Good short kicking game close to the line - can put the ball on a dime and not give away a 7-tackle set restart. Just needs to get a little more hang time into them, will come with experience.
  • Handy goal kicker - not sure why Wakeham started taking them when he came on.
  • Is OK defensively when the player is coming right at him - the moment he's had to make decisions he looks lost. Again, will get better with experience.
  • Will need to work better combining with his outside men. Didn't really give Smith or DWZ any opportunity. He can pass but is playing conservative.
  • Would like to see him take the line on more and show us some of that fancy footwork. Seemed to always get the ball after a slow PTB/ flat footed. He works best attacking in space.
Wakeham:
  • Started slow but really built into the contest.
  • Similar to Averillo, tidy kicking game inside 20.
  • I didn't hate the awkward grubber that Smith nearly got a bat-back on (Which lead to a Souths 7-tackle set). Those deep grubbers are a tough skill for a half to master but are an absolute asset if they can nail them.
  • Obviously needs to bulk up and work on his defence, but I did like him stopping Su'A in his tracks 1-on-1 on 5th right at our try-line. He's had a few quality technique tackles. Will get better with experience.
Also, as much flack as we give him, Lewis was fantastic in his stint before his head-knock. Clearing kicks with quality kick-chase found grass between winger and full-back on a few occasions. Didn't knock-on inside 20m and overall was solid. The shame is he's had 5, maybe 10 'good' games out of his 30+ he has played, which you can't have from your first-choice halfback.

Positive signs heading into 2021.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They both still have a ways to go, but early signs look promising.

Averillo:
  • Good short kicking game close to the line - can put the ball on a dime and not give away a 7-tackle set restart. Just needs to get a little more hang time into them, will come with experience.
  • Handy goal kicker - not sure why Wakeham started taking them when he came on.
  • Is OK defensively when the player is coming right at him - the moment he's had to make decisions he looks lost. Again, will get better with experience.
  • Will need to work better combining with his outside men. Didn't really give Smith or DWZ any opportunity. He can pass but is playing conservative.
  • Would like to see him take the line on more and show us some of that fancy footwork. Seemed to always get the ball after a slow PTB/ flat footed. He works best attacking in space.
Wakeham:
  • Started slow but really built into the contest.
  • Similar to Averillo, tidy kicking game inside 20.
  • I didn't hate the awkward grubber that Smith nearly got a bat-back on (Which lead to a Souths 7-tackle set). Those deep grubbers are a tough skill for a half to master but are an absolute asset if they can nail them.
  • Obviously needs to bulk up and work on his defence, but I did like him stopping Su'A in his tracks 1-on-1 on 5th right at our try-line. He's had a few quality technique tackles. Will get better with experience.
Also, as much flack as we give him, Lewis was fantastic in his stint before his head-knock. Clearing kicks with quality kick-chase found grass between winger and full-back on a few occasions. Didn't knock-on inside 20m and overall was solid. The shame is he's had 5, maybe 10 'good' games out of his 30+ he has played, which you can't have from your first-choice halfback.

Positive signs heading into 2021.
Agree with most of this. Avo hurt his quad, hence playing conservative and passing the goal kicking to wakeham.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Here's hoping Lewis is out next week with the concussion rule so Barrett can have a good look at Avo and Wakeham when we play them next weekend.
Both halves need confidence and Barrett will give them that like he did with Cleary and Luai.
People saying Avo looked lost it makes it hard when you dont have any runners under a better coach that will be fixed!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s probably our most promising halves peering but there’s a big issue with long kicking neither has a big boot and Wakeham’s long kicking game is extremely poor. In saying that he did put up a nice long torpedo kick last night so with the right coaching he might be able to improve it. Hopefully Averillo’s quad is ok so they get a another game together next week. You can’t help but think it’s been a huge wasted opportunity persisting with Lewis for so long he never has and never will be the answer.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought they were both reasonable tonight,they lack a bit of confidence at times,but I’m sure they will get better,I thought Lewis was good until he went off,for me rfm was best on field

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wakeham not much better than lewis who is the worst, all we need is some belief and a gun halfback to produce the track

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Avarillo was disappointing last night with his involvement, but SG did say he was carrying an injury.
Still think he has a lot of potential & he is more than just a stepper. Has a nice passing game, short kicking game & vision. Not certain about his long kicks, just not seen him do any? His defense front on is sound & will get better. In the centres he struggles defensively when having to cover opponents moving quickly.

Wakeham had a mixed game but needs to work on his long kicks & also his defense. His active, always wants the ball in his hands. Hard to gauge how much improvement & potentisl.
Lewis, including myself have been scathing, but I though he had his best game of the season. The doggies were struggling to make it to the halfway line with their sets & his kicking got them out of trouble with south's 1st tackle inside their 20 metre zone. This is where wakeham struggled

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran and Lewis have been the coach's preferred halves all year. We lost many close games when both failed to manage the last 20 min.
Two young guys in Averillo and Wakeham managed to do this on their first game of any significant time together. And showed calmer options and no hero plays when things where in the balance.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Foran and Lewis have been the coach's preferred halves all year. We lost many close games when both failed to manage the last 20 min.
Two young guys in Averillo and Wakeham managed to do this on their first game of any significant time together. And showed calmer options and no hero plays when things where in the balance.
I think that's the big difference. Remember the other week where Lewis tried to pull off some ridiculous flick kick from a bomb instead of just catching it or batting it back? LOL.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that's the big difference. Remember the other week where Lewis tried to pull off some ridiculous flick kick from a bomb instead of just catching it or batting it back? LOL.
Haha. I thought of that as I made my comment. Imagine if he pulled it off. What he possibly would come up with next time.
Glad he looked silly

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
We all know Avo is a talent, but I'm still unsure where he fits in. Looked much better in defence last night. As others have already mentioned, he looks a bit stand-offish in attack but no doubt that'll improve.

Wakeham gives us more variability than Lewis (cross field kicks you can set your watch to) but still needs to work on his long kicks. And even though he's tiny and needs to bulk up, the plus side is he's quite lively during games, something you want in a halfback.

All in all, these 2 are very young with limited opportunities. We'll be able to tell more when they've had at least half a season of consecutive games.