News Averillo scores spectacular double to leave Dragons hanging by a thread

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs had so many injuries heading into this game they could have lined up outside the stadium and finished the queue at the famous Chicko’s down the road. Viliame Kikau, Josh Addo-Carr, Luke Thompson, Max King, Ryan Sutton, Jacob Kiraz et al.

Unlike the Dragons, they found a way to win.

“It says a lot about the club,” coach Cameron Ciraldo said. “It’s what we stand for and what our standards are no matter who is playing. If you pull on a Bulldogs jersey, there’s expectations and standards there we want you to live up to.

“The last few weeks, it’s been tough. After losing three games in a row, it was a tough week.
We never spoke about who wasn’t playing, it was more about who was playing. It says a lot about the club and what the club is built on.”

Ciraldo was forced to ask the NRL for an exemption for Harrison Edwards, who is outside the club’s top 30. He started at prop. Teenage whiz kid Karl Oloapu made his debut off the bench, and he and Matt Burton might stay in the halves for years to come.

But on this day it was Jake Averillo who shone brightest, scoring two sparkling long-range tries from 80 metres out, both times burning St George Illawarra No.1 Tyrell Sloan.

Even when Corey Waddell went to the sin-bin in the second half for a professional foul on Zac Lomax and the Dragons immediately trimmed the margin to two, they kept fumbling and the Bulldogs kept fighting.

Alas, they also play without fear as Josh Reynolds, who had a run-in with referee Grant Atkins at half-time after being penalised for an incident with Sloan on the ground, kicked for Averillo three metres out from his own line on one set.

“We’re not going to play like every other team, we play differently,” Ciraldo said. “We’ve got different strengths than other teams and we’re going to have to play a different way, take more risk and move the ball around. I think you saw signs of that tonight. ‘Grub’ [Reynolds] played what he saw and we trust that.”

On the Atkins-Reynolds incident, skipper Reed Mahoney said: “We might have to have his mouth taped when he plays. He’s the ultimate competitor and he wears his heart on his sleeve. I wouldn’t [trade] him for anyone else.”

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
What was that gesture he made all about? [emoji23]

The majority of us on here have always said he was a gun centre. Sometimes the coaches should just listen to the fans. [emoji23]

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What was that gesture he made all about? [emoji23]

The majority of us on here have always said he was a gun centre. Sometimes the coaches should just listen to the fans. [emoji23]
Fans? Just don't listen to the Kennel, the vocal ones on here think he can't play. :laughing:

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like how Mahony told Reynolds to shut up when Reynolds was arguing with the ref. It shows he is smart and has authority

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Honestly I don’t think he is that fast,they were two good tries,I think better fullbacks would of put more effort into tackling him

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Honestly I don’t think he is that fast,they were two good tries,I think better fullbacks would of put more effort into tackling him
Watch the second try again and the way he jinks inside and then accelerates away even faster than he was running before… that means he has another gear even after running 60m. Seriously fast kid, with him on one side and JAC on the other we are a threat every time we swing it wide.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watch the second try again and the way he jinks inside and then accelerates away even faster than he was running before… that means he has another gear even after running 60m. Seriously fast kid, with him on one side and JAC on the other we are a threat every time we swing it wide.
As I've said in other threads - Oloapu, Kiraz, Ado-Carr, and Averillo will be a headache for any team. With two devastating kickers in the side we have the potential to score from anywhere, and when our forwards are back to full strength, we will be a side to be feared.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been a massive critic of averillo.. this year he has stood up. He's still young and has now proven (to me) he has plenty to offer. Needs to work on his toughness. That is something that can improve with age and with confidence. If he fixes that.. fantastic. He was helped alot by having burns next to him. Despite being injured burns was close to our best.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he's faster than it looks. kinda like ewen mcgrady.
I realised his speed last year when he streaked away from Mitchell Moses after an intercept.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As I've said in other threads - Oloapu, Kiraz, Ado-Carr, and Averillo will be a headache for any team. With two devastating kickers in the side we have the potential to score from anywhere, and when our forwards are back to full strength, we will be a side to be feared.
Absolutely right. Kikau running hard lines, TPJ offloads, even Thompson hitting up with speed.. these guys will make the space for what is now a seriously fast backline to do their thing, and then we’ll have Oloapu doing freaky stuff, Burton being freed up to be the Hynes type of halfback and Mahoney wreaking havoc from dummy half. Throw Crichton into that mix next year plus whatever Gus is cooking up…

The fact we’re generally not getting blown away at the moment even with so many second stringers in the team also means the attitude is right, last year heads would be hanging but this year we’re in it until the death. We are going to be a seriously good team.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I realised his speed last year when he streaked away from Mitchell Moses after an intercept.
What about the time he got run down by Kennedy in the Cronulla trial?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is his acceleration from a standing start combined with his speed that makes him an X factor.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Absolutely right. Kikau running hard lines, TPJ offloads, even Thompson hitting up with speed.. these guys will make the space for what is now a seriously fast backline to do their thing, and then we’ll have Oloapu doing freaky stuff, Burton being freed up to be the Hynes type of halfback and Mahoney wreaking havoc from dummy half. Throw Crichton into that mix next year plus whatever Gus is cooking up…

The fact we’re generally not getting blown away at the moment even with so many second stringers in the team also means the attitude is right, last year heads would be hanging but this year we’re in it until the death. We are going to be a seriously good team.
Ciraldo has brought back the never say die attitude that made us the Dogs of War.