Opinion Averillo playing fullback in 2022

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Having JAC and Cotric as backfield partners is a massive upgrade on the crew Dufty has had at the Dragons. It's a reasonable assumption that his defensive issues will be covered/improved imo.
Na Dufty is legitimately shit, that dummy he fell for from Averillo was disgraceful and there's plenty of other moments like that. He will get first shot but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being treated like Flanagan.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Na Dufty is legitimately shit, that dummy he fell for from Averillo was disgraceful and there's plenty of other moments like that. He will get first shot but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being treated like Flanagan.
Please upload the footage from when Wakeham smashed him and he needed a week off lol

Bringbackbaa

Waterboy
Reaction score
It's my belief BBO is a better prospect for our #7 in the mid to long term so the question is what to do with Averillo?

He has a lot of the attacking game stuff to be a quality Fullback, his time in the halves this year will be a long term benefit but there are reasonable doubts about defensive organisation, kick defusal etc.

Based on that, I hope he plays the season in NSW Cup at Fullback to learn the trade and - best case scenario is ready to move into first grade next year.
Yep fair call. Baz loves him tho so will be interesting to see what they do. BBO needs a big off season if they’re going to play him at half. I thought he was far more effective coming off the bench and darting out of dummy half.
Hopefully we offload someone and we grab one of the quality number 9’s available as there’s bugger all decent halves. If we have a dominant/attacking number 9 it will take pressure off our 7 which in turn allows Burto to play his natural game.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep fair call. Baz loves him tho so will be interesting to see what they do. BBO needs a big off season if they’re going to play him at half. I thought he was far more effective coming off the bench and darting out of dummy half.
Hopefully we offload someone and we grab one of the quality number 9’s available as there’s bugger all decent halves. If we have a dominant/attacking number 9 it will take pressure off our 7 which in turn allows Burto to play his natural game.
I should have said in that scenario that BBO plays NSW Cup this year in the #7 for development. Wakeham starts the season in first grade.

Bringbackbaa

Waterboy
Reaction score
Having JAC and Cotric as backfield partners is a massive upgrade on the crew Dufty has had at the Dragons. It's a reasonable assumption that his defensive issues will be covered/improved imo.
It’s more his positional and his effort plays. He doesn’t react quick enough to dive on that loose ball behind the try line or use his speed to recover if he misreads the play and needs to get to the other side of the ruck, again when defending his tryline. I have a few mates who played high level rep touch with him as well. Yes he was a genius in Attack but he couldn’t defend to save himself. This was almost 10 years ago. Some habits die hard

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dufty will be have some shockers but can also see him having good games and opinions will be very love/hate on here. No one loves Flanagan.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I also don't think he was brought over to play reggies. Dufty's attack is very good. If they can improve his defence then he will be fine. And hopefully we wont let too many through the line anyway, for him to need to tackle them.

And i don't get why Averillo, unproven at FB in FG, is a better option in any case.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dufty with confidence will take a lot of pressure off Burton with his play making on the line and he’s a great supporter of offloads. If he doesn’t, he’s on a 1 year deal anyway. Avo has been kept in the 7 for most of of this year for a reason, he’ll be there next year.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will kill it at fullback in reserve grade.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Dufty will be have some shockers but can also see him having good games and opinions will be very love/hate on here. No one loves Flanagan.
I don't think so, Dufty will be hammered on here if he dishes up the same shit he did a the dragons.

Bringbackbaa

Waterboy
Reaction score
Dufty with confidence will take a lot of pressure off Burton with his play making on the line and he’s a great supporter of offloads. If he doesn’t, he’s on a 1 year deal anyway. Avo has been kept in the 7 for most of of this year for a reason, he’ll be there next year.

Geez us. What Hope do we have when you’re planning for 2022 revolves around Avo as half. If that’s true then what to do with Flano?
The thing is there’s no other halves on the market. Unless they move him on to England that’s one expensive reserve grader.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have been resisting, but it's time to pull Chammas's article to pieces, examine each point and tear it apart.

Point 1, "Nearly all teams place their fullback at “A” defender" but Griffin doesn't do that, not for Dufty, not for Moylan when he was coaching Penrith. Griffin plays the smaller fullbacks between the A and B defenders, only with DWZ did he play the A defender role. Comparisons of fullbacks of Dufty's size with fullbacks of TTrbojevic size is pretty stupid.

Point 2, "effort" OMG seriously, who would have thought that Dufty isn't a Tedesco clone, my god what a revelation. What Chammas is ignoring in his example is the previous play when Townsend kicked across for Kennedy to finally score, Dufty was obviously marking that pay, rightly or wrongly he had a reason for defending where he did. As for "Woods sealing the game", bullshit, it was already 26 to 18 when Woods scored in the 76 minute, that game was long gone.

Point 3, "Kick defusals" hard to argue against, it is an important part of a fullbacks role to catch the ball. But what it ignores are the other factors, very rarely does Dufty get any protection, as a small stature fullback he needs that to be effective. It is also a reflection of St George being piss poor at placing the opposition kickers under pressure, often times in a game they seem to have almost unlimited time to kick.

Point 4, "roster management" who gives a fark about StGeorge's roster management, we aren't paying Dufty anywhere near what those idiots were. Dufty suites our roster management, one year and peanuts, just fine thank you Chammas.

Point 5 "lack of success", so St George's lack of success is all Dufty's fault, FMD Chammas you really are grasping at straws. Nothing to do with the poor choice of coaches (at all levels), their internal management being in total disarray, which Gould pointed out in his report to the board, or their lack of player discipline, do I really need to mention Norman, DeBelin, 13 players going to a BBQ & piss up against health orders, etc. The reason for George's long term lack of success plainly isn't Dufty.

Point 6, "Attitude" Griffin does have reputation with his players for being polarising, Dufty seems to have been on Griffin's negative pole and that will affect anyone's attitude. He singled out Dufty last August after the loss to the Titans, dropped him, replaced him with Bird and Sloan. Promptly lost 3 games straight and then realised his mistake and brought him back.

To quote Phil Gould on Dufty “There’s definitely tries in him. If you’re a team struggling for points, he’s a fullback that I would buy for that. As to the reasons why the Dragons don’t want him, I don’t think it’s football related.” And yet Chammas tries to tell us in the 6 points that it is all football related. Not surprisingly I have a feeling that Gould may be right and Chammas is ........ well ......... not.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Bringbackbaa

Waterboy
Reaction score
Misleading title… as @TwinTurbo has said multiple times also go to a training session one day and see how shit Averillo is at reading plays and catching high balls.. you think Dufty is bad..
Ok wow never knew this. Hopefully they don’t get dufty mentoring Averillo!
Ok so moving forwards we have no quality in our 1,7 or 9 next year. Lucky we have a good coach!!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey boys given Matt dufty’s Well documented shithouse defensive game, did anyone see the article in the herald earlier in this year - the guy just doesn’t read the play and his positional play is terrible, what are your thoughts on moving Averillo to fullback? Obviously he has a good running game, can break tackles and he’s quick. I know there was talk initially when we signed the fox that he wanted play fullback but I can’t really see that happening. Our only other option is Allen but he’s just not strong enough and this year got found out a bit.
There’s a good reason Dufty got moved on from the dragons and if you saw our win against the dragons this year Dufty gifted us at least 2 tries. I just can’t see how moving across on a one year incentivised deal is going’s to all of a sudden change hie defensive ways.
Baz loves Avo but with Naden and Schoupp, plus alomati and now Burns waiting in the wings I think fullback could suit his game
Can he even catch a bomb and risk himself if needed, organise the defensive line, or ball play (has a passing game ?).

1/ He seems a bit made of glass if he gets hit hard so can't see him being too good under the high ball and risking himself if needed.

2/ He's quiet and not much of a talker. How's he going to organise the defensive line ?

3 / No real passing game that's we've seen.

So it's a no from me based on what we've seen so far.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been resisting, but it's time to pull Chammas's article to pieces, examine each point and tear it apart.

Point 1, "Nearly all teams place their fullback at “A” defender" but Griffin doesn't do that, not for Dufty, not for Moylan when he was coaching Penrith. Griffin plays the smaller fullbacks between the A and B defenders, only with DWZ did he play the A defender role. Comparisons of fullbacks of Dufty's size with fullbacks of TTrbojevic size is pretty stupid.

Point 2, "effort" OMG seriously, who would have thought that Dufty isn't a Tedesco clone, my god what a revelation. What Chammas is ignoring in his example is the previous play when Townsend kick across for Kennedy to finally score, Dufty was obviously marking that pay, rightly or wrongly he had a reason for defending where he did. As for "Woods sealing the game", bullshit, it was already 26 to 18 when Woods scored in the 76 minute, that game was long gone.

Point 3, "Kick defusals" hard to argue against, it is an important part of a fullbacks role to catch the ball. But what it ignores are the other factors, very rarely does Dufty get any protection, as a small stature fullback he needs that to be effective. It is also a reflection of St George being piss poor at placing the opposition kickers under pressure, often times in a game they seem to have almost unlimited time to kick.

Point 4, "roster management" who give a fark about StGeorge's roster management, we aren't paying Dufty anywhere near what those idiots were. Dufty suites our roster management, one year and peanuts, just fine thank you Chammas.

Point 5 "lack of success", so St George's lack of success is all Dufty's fault, FMD Chammas you really are grasping at straws. Nothing to do with the poor choice of coaches (at all levels), their internal management being in total disarray, which Gould pointed out in his report to the board, or their lack of player discipline, do I really need to mention Norman, DeBelin, 13 players going to a BBQ & piss up against health orders, etc. The reason for George's long term lack of success plainly isn't Dufty.

Point 6, "Attitude" Griffin does have reputation with his players for being polarising, Dufty seems to have been on Griffin's negative pole and that will affect anyone's attitude. He singled out Dufty last August after the loss to the Titans, dropped him, replaced him with Bird and Sloan. Promptly lost 3 games straight and then realised his mistake and brought him back.

To quote Phil Gould on Dufty “There’s definitely tries in him. If you’re a team struggling for points, he’s a fullback that I would buy for that. As to the reasons why the Dragons don’t want him, I don’t think it’s football related.” And yet Chammas tries to tell us in the 6 points that it is all football related. Not surprisingly I have a feeling that Gould may be right and Chammas is ........ well ......... not.

Always a Bulldog
I remember one game last year where Dufty had 5 try assists.

When was the last time you remember a Dogs player having 5 try assists in 1 game ever ?

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Averillo couldn't tackle a wet paper bag and he doesn't seem like much of a talker so putting him at the back trying to set up our defence seems like a waste of time.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think so, Dufty will be hammered by me first and foremost if he dishes up the same shit he did a the dragons.
Fixed that for ya LOL
I hope he goes alright obviously has flaws will be interesting to see how this joint reacts to him.