Opinion Averillo playing fullback in 2022

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Same shit as last year I suppose.
Is what it is for now, surely Baz can train Avo to improve.
I hope he doesnt waste anymore time on Flano and even though Wakeham looks the most natural 7, with every opportunity to do so he hasnt made the position his.
Wakeham has looked good in patches, I'd still like to see how both those guys play in the new look team

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Stupid thread averilo will be 7

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you think Dufty is our answer next year then you obviously haven’t seen enough of him play. It’s also pretty arrogant to think now that he’s at the dogs we’ll be able fix his defensive woes just because he’s in our system. Over the past 2 years this has been the one sticking point in his long term tenure at the dragons and when nothing changed he was booted. The guy leaks points. Let’s not forget the fact Nobody else wanted him & Baz threw him lifeline. To say he hasn’t been signed to play Reggie’s would mean he’s landed at the team on the bottom of the ladder. That’s the only way he can play NRL for now.
Maybe as the man himself Matt Dafty says Naden and the fox are our two best options. But they’re also unproven at no. 1.
Everyone wants to talk about who our 7 and 9 are going to be. But for mine fullback is also up for grabs and there’s no way Dufty can be our starting no. 1. If you haven’t tread the article I posted check it out.
No seriously your the arrogant one. Dragons punted him NOT for his defence. The Club knows why and suffice to say we are ok with it. The chief concern of a FB is to organise the defence not actually do it. Dufty made enough tackles...it was Saints defensive structure which was wanting and Dufty will fit in nicely to our structure. In Gould and Barrett's mind....if a FB is required to make more than say 8 tackles a game then other players aren't doing their job.
Averillo was found wanting in the front line. Moving him to FB without FB experience would be crazy. Averillo can't run and set up attacking plays like Dufty can. Dufty is elite in attacking prowess.
So put trust in our coaches and let the team develop naturally.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
I would be interested to see Dufty given a chance to trial at halfback frankly. Probably in trials for reserves of Mounties. He has good speed, although I am not sure about his hands and passing game, but his defence can be hidden a little more at halfback and he can roam and back up the forwards for a quick break. I know that there will be plenty who will give me a hard time on this suggestion, but it could be worth a look.......

Reactions: 88

UpDaDoggies1935

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would be interested to see Dufty given a chance to trial at halfback frankly. Probably in trials for reserves of Mounties. He has good speed, although I am not sure about his hands and passing game, but his defence can be hidden a little more at halfback and he can roam and back up the forwards for a quick break. I know that there will be plenty who will give me a hard time on this suggestion, but it could be worth a look.......
I think that’s actually a good idea. I was thinking that too.

Reactions: 88

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No seriously your the arrogant one. Dragons punted him NOT for his defence. The Club knows why and suffice to say we are ok with it. The chief concern of a FB is to organise the defence not actually do it. Dufty made enough tackles...it was Saints defensive structure which was wanting and Dufty will fit in nicely to our structure. In Gould and Barrett's mind....if a FB is required to make more than say 8 tackles a game then other players aren't doing their job.
Averillo was found wanting in the front line. Moving him to FB without FB experience would be crazy. Averillo can't run and set up attacking plays like Dufty can. Dufty is elite in attacking prowess.
So put trust in our coaches and let the team develop naturally.
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey boys given Matt dufty’s Well documented shithouse defensive game, did anyone see the article in the herald earlier in this year - the guy just doesn’t read the play and his positional play is terrible, what are your thoughts on moving Averillo to fullback? Obviously he has a good running game, can break tackles and he’s quick. I know there was talk initially when we signed the fox that he wanted play fullback but I can’t really see that happening. Our only other option is Allen but he’s just not strong enough and this year got found out a bit.
There’s a good reason Dufty got moved on from the dragons and if you saw our win against the dragons this year Dufty gifted us at least 2 tries. I just can’t see how moving across on a one year incentivised deal is going’s to all of a sudden change hie defensive ways.
Baz loves Avo but with Naden and Schoupp, plus alomati and now Burns waiting in the wings I think fullback could suit his game
Averillo wasn't exactly working out in the halves,perhaps he could play fullback and Dufty could play 5/8 he played there as a junior apparently.
With Schoupp unlikely to start training until February,I wonder who will be training in the centre positions Cotric and Allen would also be possibilities ,maybe Averillo too. They will need at least 4 centres for opposed sessions. It's good we have plenty of options now and none of them are Hoppa !