Averillo Haters

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate that wasn't a sitter!
That scum #7 is one of the best bombers in the comp!
I thought Avo did well to get himself into position to take it and was undone at the last minute by the swerve.
There have been many #1's undone similarly who have spent much more time practicing diffusing bombs.
I think every one needs to stop trying to wank or murder the kid!
He is new to the position in firsts & showed some promise & positives.
Lets give him the opportunity to train & learn the position (to end of the season & then offseason).
In time Avo may become our version of Dylan Edwards.
Dylan was dismissed by many as not good enough for the modern fullback role.
However he has evolved into a great player who is both safe defensively & contributes positively to attack for the riff, while not costing the earth.
Our priority should be finding/promoting a quality 7 which will help Burto's continued growth, assuming Avo's development continues at 1 & he can in time perform at a level similar to Edwards or Daine Laurie level FB's.
I couldn't be bothered posting the same thing you are because it's logical justification, Mitchell moses knows how to kick! The haters just won't cut Averillo slack

Dylan Edwards used to screw up handling those type of bombs all the time, he fixed his game with plenty of practice at training with Nathan Cleary.

Averillo will get plenty of practice at training with Burton putting up those bombs and he'll get better at this.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just making excuses now. He should have caught it, end of story.
I like Avo at fullback, I think they need to persist with him, but keep it in perspective and lets not get too ahead of ourselves.
Each to their own.
I am no Avo fan boy, just a realist & mad dogs fan, like most on here.
Anyway how good is it to start the week with a win for a change!!
Work doesn't seem half as shit today!
Even the ex-wife's texts haven't pissed me off as much as usual this morn :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't be bothered posting the same thing you are because it's logical justification, Mitchell moses knows how to kick! The haters just won't cut Averillo slack

Dylan Edwards used to screw up handling those type of bombs all the time, he fixed his game with plenty of practice at training with Nathan Cleary.

Averillo will get plenty of practice at training with Burton putting up those bombs and he'll get better at this.
100%

Malla

Reaction score
I don't think teams focus enough on scoring tries from farther out. When you are attacking the goal line, the ten metres becomes compressed because defenders can stand with a foot on the line, and it is easier to maintain a straight line defence. If you start your move from farther out, it is easier to find a hole. And if you make a clean break from (say) the 40 metre line, it should result in a try more often than not.
100% - when you have a weapon like Fox you should always try and be a threat from anywhere on the park. Storm did it all the time. Good to see Burton unlocking that for Fox at the Dogs. What that effectively does is it opens it up in the middle as well.

Malla

Reaction score
Each to their own.
I am no Avo fan boy, just a realist & mad dogs fan, like most on here.
Anyway how good is it to start the week with a win for a change!!
Work doesn't seem half as shit today!
Even the ex-wife's texts haven't pissed me off as much as usual this morn :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Best feeling ever mate

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A lot of people were calling for Averrillo for FB since 2021, glad it's finally happened.

He looks far more comfortable there than in any other position so far. We really only need to fix our halfback issue and we'll be good to go since we have Mahoney coming next year as well

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Averillo has been a difficult one, i think people have just been really fustrated we havent managed to find a position hes been able to excel in and worried he could be another moses mbye. We can all see how skilful he is, its only been 2 games however I really hope he nails down that fullback position, if he carries on the way hes going, he ll be a star
Yeh he has been a bit like another mbye. Playing in lots of positions but not great at any of them. Hopefully he has found his calling now. Mbye has proven he's shit everywhere but averillo I think has more skill and speed.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo has been fuck arsed around for 2 years by shit coaches that saw his potential but had no fucking clue how to harness that potential.
Along comes Gould and Potter. And finally you see Averillo in the position he is most comfortable in. Not to mention Then Kennel mbers Screaming for Averillo to FB forvwhat seems a decade.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I criticised him.. he went much better yesterday which was good to see. Still a work in progress and I think it's worth leaving him there for probably the rest of the year to let him develop and see whether he is the solution.. problem is we need to make a decision on next year's fullback and I think it's very premature to suggest he's it.
Yeh that’s a fair call, still has a lot to learn obviously, he was in position every kick yesterday which was great also as brown and Moses are very good in that area. His pace is electric even Moses couldn’t run him down.
time will tell over the next few week, let’s hope he keeps improving and we can save that fullback money for a 7

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Looks to have potential at FB. Needs to set a target to increase his involvement each week.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only concern is the fact that 2 of our back 3 are small so starting off our sets in games where our forward don’t dominate will be painful.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Averillo turns out to be our answer at fullback and we no longer need to look for a number 1, I'm interested to see what we're gonna spend the 5-6 million dollars on over the next year or 2.
Halfback, lock and prop ?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only concern is the fact that 2 of our back 3 are small so starting off our sets in games where our forward don’t dominate will be painful.
Yep but that doesnt impact Jake's position as fullback. Him and JAC are a lock. We just need a strong winger to help with the carries. Think about the storm. They had the fox and Papenhauzen but they also had Vunavalu. Not many top line fullbacks are picked there for their ability to return the ball strongly. If they can thats a bonus.

Our centres (Schoupp and Kiraz) are both strong ball carriers. They will handle plays 2 and 3. But I agree that its a worry if we dont find / develop a strong winger to help out with those early carries

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Averillo turns out to be our answer at fullback and we no longer need to look for a number 1, I'm interested to see what we're gonna spend the 5-6 million dollars on over the next year or 2.
Halfback, lock and prop ?
Yep. And we probably still need a backrower. Kikau obviously has the left edge sorted. I still reckon Topine has the ability to be our long term number 13 but thats only a guess.

Its just bloody refreshing to see a young junior put his hand up for a spine position. It means we probably dont have go to the market and pay overs for a fullback either next year or 2024. All of the good sides have the majority of their players debut for them. Hopefully we spend alot of that money in the next few years upgrading the likes of Averillo, Kiraz, Burton, etc

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think any bulldogs supporter hated him. Critical and disappointed yes but not hate. I have bagged him because he has so much talent and has been disappointing until the last 2 weeks. Nothing would make us happier than to see him thrive. Let’s hope he doesn’t look back.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know how old he is and wanted to give him a chance instead of bagging him at every chance.
He has been on top grade for 2 years now. He was never a centre or halves. Finally the coaching staff has realised it. He’s still got improvement to do at fullback. Good luck to him. Hopefully he can keep that spot and play good. No one liked him out of position