Averillo Haters

Malla

Reaction score
Would have liked us have some decent ball in their 20m to see him chiming in during our attack. Was good otherwise
Fuck we actually scored majority of our tries from long distance hey

How shit are parra hehe

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's unexpected, I would've thought that would've been something Potter would've focused on.
It's unexpected, I would've thought that would've been something Potter would've focused on.
I think that is the key to good coaching, knowing when to have input and when to let things run their course. I have no doubt mick is having input in to avo's fullback play but Turner is getting results with him so if it isn't broke don't fix it. That's good coaching.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Averillo killed it. Should have been playing FB all 2020, Baz trying to make him a 7 almost killed his career. He also had 1 silly error which was trying to catch that wobbly Moses bomb in our in-goal. I like he backed himself to catch it for a 7-tackle restart, but if he let that bounce it was 100% going out touch in goal. I guess the difference is he'd have to go chase the ball/ reset at the 20m with a set Parra D vs waiting for us to get back onside and tap-and-go.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The majority of the kennel has been calling for him to have a stint at fullback since 2020. You just hope that his struggles in first grade so far have helped refine him as an athlete and allows him to finally cement himself at the back.

The kid has plenty of natural ability, something we lack. Now it’s time to bring it all together.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s had 1 good game and it’s like he’s played well all year and ppl don’t hate him or any other player they get paid well to perform yes we criticise them when they don’t perform and that’s more than fair enough

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nah you couldn’t say leave. Even though you’re right there was people that did want that. All it took was a coach with half a brain that could see what all the fans could see. All I can say now is that this is an experiment I’m happy for us to continue with cause I think he’s found his home at the back.
The ones asking him to leave are crazy. Kid cheap contract trying to get use to being hit by a car each week.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The past two weeks the team has looked better in attack and he is feeding off it and loving it, supporting the ball well.
Still has a bit to go to being a top notch fullback but is filling in awesome so far.
Being the last line of defence means being pretty strong and being able to hold the ball up over the line.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His last three games have been his best by far - has been willing to get involved in the hard stuff, backed up well ran with some determination even when there wasn't space.
That's what annoys me a bit.. it's almost like he's now decided to start trying because he's been given a position he likes.. players should put in 100% no matter which position they play.. maybe he did give 100% at centre but just sucked at it.. who knows... anyways a good fullback will show their worth when the games on the line, and often through defensive efforts. He is very much a work in progress. Yes, in hindsight he should have been given this chance a long time ago (as many have called for), but he wasn't. Let's see how he's going once teams start testing him and also once they figure out his tendencies at fullback. We're all dogs fans and obviously want him to be successful regardless of what we've previously thought.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jury's still out for me. He got an intercept and dropped a critical bomb under no pressure. His one glimmer for me was the push up he showed on the 2nd try he scored. Hope he proves me wrong but I am not blowing my load just yet. I do agree that he should continue to play fullback because peaheart dufty is a head case that loses us games single handedly.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Jury's still out for me. He got an intercept and dropped a critical bomb under no pressure. His one glimmer for me was the push up he showed on the 2nd try he scored. Hope he proves me wrong but I am not blowing my load just yet. I do agree that he should continue to play fullback because peaheart dufty is a head case that loses us games single handedly.
That bomb wasn't "critical", there was no one chasing to make anything more of it than a knock on and a line drop out, which with Burton kicking is even less critical.

Credit were it is due, he has certainly improved his catching of the high ball.

Always a Bulldog

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good game but wasn’t really tested. Dropped a sitter
Mate that wasn't a sitter!
That scum #7 is one of the best bombers in the comp!
I thought Avo did well to get himself into position to take it and was undone at the last minute by the swerve.
There have been many #1's undone similarly who have spent much more time practicing diffusing bombs.
I think every one needs to stop trying to wank or murder the kid!
He is new to the position in firsts & showed some promise & positives.
Lets give him the opportunity to train & learn the position (to end of the season & then offseason).
In time Avo may become our version of Dylan Edwards.
Dylan was dismissed by many as not good enough for the modern fullback role.
However he has evolved into a great player who is both safe defensively & contributes positively to attack for the riff, while not costing the earth.
Our priority should be finding/promoting a quality 7 which will help Burto's continued growth, assuming Avo's development continues at 1 & he can in time perform at a level similar to Edwards or Daine Laurie level FB's.

Malla

Reaction score
Mate that wasn't a sitter!
That scum #7 is one of the best bombers in the comp!
I thought Avo did well to get himself into position to take it and was undone at the last minute by the swerve.
There have been many #1's undone similarly who have spent much more time practicing diffusing bombs.
I think every one needs to stop trying to wank or murder the kid!
He is new to the position in firsts & showed some promise & positives.
Lets give him the opportunity to train & learn the position (to end of the season & then offseason).
In time Avo may become our version of Dylan Edwards.
Dylan was dismissed by many as not good enough for the modern fullback role.
However he has evolved into a great player who is both safe defensively & contributes positively to attack for the riff, while not costing the earth.
Our priority should be finding/promoting a quality 7 which will help Burto's continued growth, assuming Avo's development continues at 1 & he can in time perform at a level similar to Edwards or Daine Laurie level FB's.
Just making excuses now. He should have caught it, end of story.
I like Avo at fullback, I think they need to persist with him, but keep it in perspective and lets not get too ahead of ourselves.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fuck we actually scored majority of our tries from long distance hey
I don't think teams focus enough on scoring tries from farther out. When you are attacking the goal line, the ten metres becomes compressed because defenders can stand with a foot on the line, and it is easier to maintain a straight line defence. If you start your move from farther out, it is easier to find a hole. And if you make a clean break from (say) the 40 metre line, it should result in a try more often than not.