Australia's 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup Bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Yep, 2022 looks more likely

2018 looks like it will go to Europe.

So if Europe gets 2018, FIFA wont give them 2022. That leaves Japan, Mexico, Indonesia, Qatar and United States left as our competition.

Japan hosted in 2002, Mexico already twice, USA in 94.

Indonesia, Qatar no chance.

Add to that our 2000 Olympics as proof of hosting a large event

All of a sudden it doesnt look too unlikely
the thing that might go against australia is that they are now in asian qualification, so if they want to spread it out they could possibly go back to usa

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
final to be played at anz not at the bloody mcg! i think brumby has recently shown how retarded his state is anyway. :p

they should probably make anz back like it was during the olympics though

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the thing that might go against australia is that they are now in asian qualification, so if they want to spread it out they could possibly go back to usa

Thats true

By 2022, it wouldve been 28 years since it would have been hosted in North America, compared to 20 years in Asia.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sydney - ANZ (83k), SFS (42k - maybe upgraded to 60k for the WC)
Melbourne - Etihad (56k) or the New Rectangular Stadium upgraded
Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium (52k)
Adelaide - AAMI Stadium (50k i think)
Perth - New Stadium (60-70k)

Newcastle - Upgrade EA Stadium to 40k
Canberra - Upgrade Bruce Stadium to 40k
Gold Coast - Skilled Park (may need an upgrade)
Townsville - DairyFarmers Stadium (upgraded)

The other 2 stadiums could be from Wollongong, Central Coast, Sunshine Coast, Hobart, Darwin...depends where they wanna build a stadium.

GATE7

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I think youre post is on the money.
And I agree with the other poster making referance to playing on cricket grounds, there is no need to worry there because the FFA know very well that FIFA will not approve such stadiums so they wont be included in our bid.
As for teh Asia and Nth america debate...we may now technically be in the asian region but im sure FIFA would like to host a world cup in Australia which was part of the Oceania region for so many years.
If Chicago get the Olympics you can then rule the USA out of getting the World cup.

D

dogs_4 lyf

They wont look at it from an Asian point of view tbh. They will see it as something completely new on the map. Im confident we can even get 2018 tbh. Just for the sake of something complete new.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
wouldn't use aami stadium afl/cricket ovals are horrid for watching footbal.l better upgrading Hindmarsh Stadium

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
will FIFA even allow countries to use oval shaped fields? I remember when the USA got the nod for the world cup all those years ago, it was under agreement that they play the games on fields designed specifically for this game i.e rectangle shaped fields.

Hence cricket stadiums wont be allowed to be used. Theyll need to upgrade some stadiums and probably build a couple also

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
Well if you can only play on rectangular based stadiums then we're going to have to build a few and upgrade existing. The only ones viable are Suncorp, SFS and ANZ. So 9 stadium upgrades and constructions...is there really a point considering the money is costs to build the stadiums? Sure the economic boost of a world cup is in the billions but what are we going to do with all those stadiums when it's obvious AFL has it over league/football/rugby all over the nation.

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score

The other 2 stadiums could be from Wollongong, Central Coast, Sunshine Coast, Hobart, Darwin...depends where they wanna build a stadium.
AAMI and Subiaco have bigger playing surfaces than the MCG. Etihad is oval as well so they'd be out of the q'n. Skilled Park only just got built.

So if EA, Bruce and DF get an upgrade, we'd need 6 more new stadiums.

Quillen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If and when we do get it (and I really don't understand some people I've talked to saying it'll never happen... wtf?) the times of games would probably be akin to during the Korea/Japan tournament.

Alot of night games here so Europe and the Americas get the games at a decent hour.

BM-dog

Tough person
Reaction score
i don't really care whether we get the world cup or not, but i agree with lord almighty that it would require massive, massive investment in large stadiums. according to today's SMH, we need 12 venues across at least eight cities. ten of them need to be capacity 45000+, and two have to be capacity 80000+.

if we're right that FIFA wants rectangular stadiums, and won't accept cricket grounds: only sydney, brisbane, melbourne have rectangular stadiums at roughly 45000+, or at least they will if melb upgrades its new stadium. to get up to eight host cities, we then need to either build a big new stadium or substantially upgrade an existing stadium in perth, adelaide, hobart, darwin, canberra. (you could replace some of those with regional cities but the problem of building stadiums that are big enough remains). that only gives us nine stadiums, though - 2 in sydney, 1 in each of the other cities - so three cities would have to get a second major stadium. then, we only have one rectangular stadium with a capacity greater than 80000, so in addition to the above we would require a massive upgrade of either the SFS or suncorp.

so basically if we can't use cricket grounds we're totally ****ed over, cause i can't see the state govts putting up all that money to build and upgrade stadiums. especially since they'll be used for a month and then turn into worse white elephants than ANZ.

Christabella

Reaction score
AAMI and Subiaco have bigger playing surfaces than the MCG. Etihad is oval as well so they'd be out of the q'n. Skilled Park only just got built.

So if EA, Bruce and DF get an upgrade, we'd need 6 more new stadiums.
6 more? I think not. France did quite nicely with 10.

One stadium will be built in Perth, from what I have heard they want it as a minature ANZ; i.e. one that can be converted from an oval to a rectangle, with a capacity of at least 60 000 and with that and the necessary upgrades to current stadia, we would only need 1-2 more.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well if you can only play on rectangular based stadiums then we're going to have to build a few and upgrade existing. The only ones viable are Suncorp, SFS and ANZ. So 9 stadium upgrades and constructions...is there really a point considering the money is costs to build the stadiums? Sure the economic boost of a world cup is in the billions but what are we going to do with all those stadiums when it's obvious AFL has it over league/football/rugby all over the nation.

Except in NSW and QLD

where more than half the country live

GATE7

Kennel Established
Reaction score
After having watched numerous matches at the MCG both live and on tv Ive realised that this ground is not suitable to host any soccer matches let alone matches for the World Cup.
Watching the match live at the MCG you are way too far away from the action and on TV it just looks aesthically ugly having a small rectanguar field bordered off with advertising signage around a big oval pitch. They should just leave this ground for Cricket and that crappy scrappy AFL.
If Victoria is fair dinkum about being the supposed sports capitol of Australia then they will need to look at expanding the new rectangular stadium which will be opening soon from 30,000 capacity to 60,000- 65,000. Ofcourse the AFL mafia will have something to say about this but the MCG is just not suitable for Soccer.

jamesb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_3yd1oggI0&feature=popular

Australias world cup bid campaign ad

www.australia2018-2022.com.au

if south africa can do it, then so can Australia.

You can't honestly tell me SA has more stadiums and better facilities/more funding for the world cup...
SA have alot of good rugby stadiums in the rectangular design, have a look at the stadiums they will use for next years world cup - they look great.

the problem with our stadiums are that some of them are often multi purpose afl/rugby league grounds and the others are too small for world class events.

there will need to be some upgrades of alot of the grounds and new ones, specifically designed for football. They all need to be designed like suncorp - rectangular, close to the action.

Suncorp is really the only one that is up to scratch in my opinion. ANZ is a bit too oval in comparison with the world's large football stadiums.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Let me see what stadiums we can use

ANZ Stadium
Sydney Football Stadium
Energy Australia (it will be upgraded to 40k)
Parramatta Stadium (That stadium will be getting massive upgrades too)
MCG (Should turned into retangular stadium just for the World Cup)
Ethihad Stadium (Same with Melbourne)
Suncorp Stadium
Skilled Park (Will be getting further upgrades in future)
Dairy Farmers (Will be getting massive upgrades)
AAMI Stadium
Subiaco Oval
An other stadiums that we could use?

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
don't think they'll use the afl/cricket stadiums besides ethiad as they use it for victory's homeground. others are too far away would look horrible. should upgrade hindmarsh stadium if they want a couple of games in SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.