Australia Day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Australia day is not important to me on a personal level.

I am grateful and appreciative 365 days a year that I live in this country. We have one of the most open minded, fair go, civil democracies in the world.

Yes there are many things that need improvement but they will come with time. As it is I live in, i reckon, a top 5 liveable nation and am grateful every day of my life here

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Couldn't give a rats ass about the date tbh. It was a significant day for the country. Besides that, 10 years ago, on 13 February 2008 the Government said "sorry" which many indigenous elders accepted, so anyone else still crying about this needs to take a teaspoon of cement and HARDEN THE FUCK UP FFS!!!

There are more important issues this country should be tackling, and I'm sick to death of this shit coming up every Australia Day. FMD it's the next SSM debate.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Couldn't give a rats ass about the date tbh. It was a significant day for the country. Besides that, 10 years ago, on 13 February 2008 the Government said "sorry" which many indigenous elders accepted, so anyone else still crying about this needs to take a teaspoon of cement and HARDEN THE FUCK UP FFS!!!

There are more important issues this country should be tackling, and I'm sick to death of this shit coming up every Australia Day. FMD it's the next SSM debate.
Ahh, the old "most important issues" line. Ok, so we should just restrict discussion to curing cancer and alleviating poverty then?

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Yeah but wasn't the "sorry" mainly centred around the stolen generation?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Ahh, the old "most important issues" line. Ok, so we should just restrict discussion to curing cancer and alleviating poverty then?
So we're going to continue having this big debate every year around this time to protect peoples special precious feelings? The harsh reality is EVERYONE who was around on January 26, 1788 is DEAD, so this does NOT, IN THE SLIGHTEST WAY, affect ANYONE ALIVE TODAY.

FMD!

yearofthedog

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just move it to the last Friday of January every year so we get a long weekend to party

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So we're going to continue having this big debate every year around this time to protect peoples special precious feelings? The harsh reality is EVERYONE who was around on January 26, 1788 is DEAD, so this does NOT, IN THE SLIGHTEST WAY, affect ANYONE ALIVE TODAY.

FMD!
Well, it is an issue for many. For me it's not a big deal, but It will be debated by people, no matter how much you use bold, caps and underline.

Perhaps you can just go back to the issues I know affect you personally, whining about everyone around you and leering at women. Nobody is stopping you.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just move it to the last Friday of January every year so we get a long weekend to party
From memory, when I was a kid it was always the Monday following so we got a long weekend.

Before the bicentennial nobody really gave much of a thought about Australia Day at all.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
For me, it's the fact that Australia is so diverse.

I consider myself a True Blue aussie, i dont look Aussie as my old man is From Sri Lanka, My Mother is Irish, my wife is Hungarian.
The last few years i have gone to Yum Cha for an early lunch, then a late BBQ at a mates place (He is Argentinian, Misses is Syrian) huge feed, the kids run around until they collapse on the floor and sleep.

We keep eating.

Or i go to a mates place in burwood, He is Lao, wife is Chinese, we eat things like chicken wings and all sort of Asian food until we can't possible eat anymore.

Bloody amazing, anyone that says this country is no good can stick it in their ass

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You can’t censor me.

Change the fucking date already. The fact we are still pig headedly recusing to change it is a disgrace.

I’ll show respect for this country when it shows respect for its citizens. Especially it’s first Australian citizens.

Fuck Australia Day!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
For me, it's the fact that Australia is so diverse.

I consider myself a True Blue aussie, i dont look Aussie as my old man is From Sri Lanka, My Mother is Irish, my wife is Hungarian.
The last few years i have gone to Yum Cha for an early lunch, then a late BBQ at a mates place (He is Argentinian, Misses is Syrian) huge feed, the kids run around until they collapse on the floor and sleep.

We keep eating.

Or i go to a mates place in burwood, He is Lao, wife is Chinese, we eat things like chicken wings and all sort of Asian food until we can't possible eat anymore.

Bloody amazing, anyone that says this country is no good can stick it in their ass
I think CJ summed it up well. We're not perfect, but there are a lot to be grateful for.

There are of couse people like the Pauline Hansons and Cory Bernardis of the world who blame all the ills of the world on multiculturalism...

Wahesh

Reaction score
Well, it is an issue for many. For me it's not a big deal, but It will be debated by people, no matter how much you use bold, caps and underline.

Perhaps you can just go back to the issues I know affect you personally, whining about everyone around you and leering at women. Nobody is stopping you.
Ok ok we get it, I'm not gay.

Now as for your first point, I'm whining at this because it's all we hear about all the freaking time and it's pissing me off.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
People just honestly need to get over it, we will never truly move forward with people always looking for something to whinge about in the past.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
People just honestly need to get over it, we will never truly move forward with people always looking for something to whinge about in the past.
This
Fuck the haters
I'll be proudly celebrating Australian day

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok ok we get it, I'm not gay.

Now as for your first point, I'm whining at this because it's all we hear about all the freaking time and it's pissing me off.
Maybe not gay.

But somewhat of an over-exaggerator.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

FMD!
I agree

And respect to the native people always

I love Australia

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

FMD!
That's not necessarily true. It does still affect people today.

It's similar to the slavery issue in America.

Socio-economic statuses tend to be a cyclical process, by that I mean that statistically people follow or stay in the class their parents were in previous generations. And these breaks from cyclical classes do happen but are very very rare (statistically).

Hence the argument in Australia's case (and America's slavery history) is that the effects of 100s of years ago are still being felt by today's generation given that people are raised in a lower socioeconomic class and were not provided the same opportunities as others. And as much as people don't wish to admit it, having the "right " parents plays a major part in who you are and your ability to be successful in life

Status
Not open for further replies.