News Arthur Laundy caps year with $35m purchase of Bidwill Hotel

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Acquisitive pub baron Arthur Laundy has capped off a strong year, paying $35m for Sydney’s Bidwill Hotel in one of 2020’s larger deals.

The billionaire owner of Laundy Hotels, which controls more than 70 pubs and hotels in NSW and Queensland, said he bought the large hotel in the outer western Sydney suburb of Bidwill on Friday for cashflow purposes.

“I’ve also got a couple (of pubs) in the same area,” Mr Laundy told The Australian.

He said the Bidwill Hotel was well located, close to three new hotel construction projects he planned to kick off in the New Year.

The hotel deal includes VIP gaming rooms and a bottle shop and was negotiated off market by HTL Property directors Andrew Jolliffe and Dan Dragicevich.

The vendor is also the hotel’s licensee, Martin Secheny, who purchased the hotel in 2005.

Mr Jolliffe is expecting more deals in the New Year, saying capital markets had awoken from their COVID-19-enforced lull.

‘‘Our look-forward deal flow in the hospitality asset class speaks to a more than motivated audience,’’ he said.

Low interest rates were also helping.

Mr Laundy is fresh from the success of developing the Marsden Brewhouse in western Sydney, and has just won council approval for a $35m redevelopment of the Log Cabin Hotel, a popular fixture of the Penrith community, with a couple of partners in tow.

The Log Cabin Hotel will be developed by a consortium including Laundy Hotels, the Cottle family and businessman Rob Wearn. They have worked together on other ventures.

The previous hotel on the site was destroyed by fire in 2012.

Mr Laundy also has plans before council to develop a hotel at Calderwood, a burgeoning suburb near his existing Albion Park Hotel, having purchased the site from Lendlease for around $4m.  He proposes a purpose-built dining and entertainment venue and is hoping for construction to start early next year.

The pub veteran has a similar proposal for a tavern in the heart of Jordan Springs near Penrith, recently submitting an application for a $9m hotel on a 5026sq m site at Lakeside Parade.

In September, Mr Laundy and one of his business partners, Fraser Short, who together control Sydney’s popular The Watsons Bay Hotel, teamed up on another venture to acquire one of Australia’s most famous rural properties, The Farm at Byron Bay, a spectacular 54ha holding, paying $16m.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's my guy.
(save us :tonguewink: )

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anybody know if he signed the sponsorship agreement yet? Not that I’m worried just thought I’d ask.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say good luck to him,money makes money,but I just wonder how many on the kennel actually care.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I went to the farm at Byron bay a few weeks ago, it’s awesome

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Highly recommend the marsden if your in the area even if you aren’t lol worth the drive great food and their house brewed beers are great aswell..support the guys that supported us when no one else would

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Highly recommend the marsden if your in the area even if you aren’t lol worth the drive great food and their house brewed beers are great aswell..support the guys that supported us when no one else would
I had two meals there the first was ok, the second i sent my steak back and 25 mins later i got it back still bleeding and my vegies on the side were stone cold. I know chefs like thier meat raw but i fucken dont , do as the customer asks WELL DONE IS FUCKEN COOKED THROUGH ! Wont go back ever!

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really my food was great wasnt cheap though lol

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if he wants a younger husband with no interest in sexual activity or intimacy. Anyone got his number.
you gotta give some to get some....
Just close your eyes and picture yourself at home on the lounge watching the doggies with a big bag of potato chips.........
hhhmmmm potato chip uurrggghhh

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Goodwill and licensing make hotels very expensive purchases. The license gives you territory where no-one else can sell liquor, and the pokies are a guaranteed money spinner; and the rights don't come cheap.
I thought as much but jeez, that is a hefty sum.
I remember the place being a dive. The shops mostly vacant. But that was quite a few years ago now.