Armchair Coach Championship

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't really think any of us can comment on which coaches are right, unless you're actually in the environment.

We can only see far from the outside and not day in day out, player feedback, innovation etc.

From the outside everyone was saying seibold was the best thing since slice bread, he was a complete fraud who only succeeded because the souths players needed a break from Maguire.
You're right about Seibold but it's clear as day our defence is rubbish and our fitness is shit. So Furner and Ferris need to go. Our forwards are also soft as butter so I couldn't see how Graham wouldn't help out.

Whoever they get, the club should take control of finding the right support staff instead of leaving it up to Baz because he's proven at Manly and now here that his choices in are shocking. Clearly the Guru Hansen hasn't helped in that regard either.

It was a problem with Des and Pay too. Our strength and conditioning and assistant coaches have been horrible for years now and getting that right is an important part of building a successful club.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Who said that..? Seibold always was a myth and and I don’t know anyone that rated him. Environment my ass, results are results. Accountability and not ribbons for all for participating....
I'm talking about environment as in the day in day out training and interviewing the coaches for positions. In that sense environment, trying to work out if they're best fit.

Otherwise you get frauds like seibold elevated based on misguided reputation

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You're right about Seibold but it's clear as day our defence is rubbish and our fitness is shit. So Furner and Ferris need to go. Our forwards are also soft as butter so I couldn't see how Graham wouldn't help out.

Whoever they get, the club should take control of finding the right support staff instead of leaving it up to Baz because he's proven at Manly and now here that his choices in are shocking. Clearly the Guru Hansen hasn't helped in that regard either.

It was a problem with Des and Pay too. Our strength and conditioning and assistant coaches have been horrible for years now and getting that right is an important part of building a successful club.
Not being a bitch but how is he right about Seibold. At South’s he tried to remove all traces of Maguire (right or wrong) and then went to Brisbane and tried to erase Bennett...

At least with Seibold his coaching win percentage at South’s for a year was way better than Barrett’s before he went to Brisbane and came out of the closet..

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

One could also argue that our real pack leader was frank pritchard because after he left (thanks des) there was a definite drop off in our packs effectiveness.

Des has solved his strength and conditioning, he's got some very big boys from their ranks playing for them. I think the strength of the forward pack more has to do with the players natural build than really achieving anything in the gym.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
First bloke id sack instantly is furner complete idiot of a defensive coach. I’d keep Ferris only cause I don’t think it’s fitness is the reason why we are losing. Also Id bring in Matty Johns as an assistant coach. I’d bring mason reni asotasi back as well to train the forwards. I know we said we shouldn’t pay any player to play against us again but I think we have to.
Idiot flamingo and Jackson I’d pay to leave and Corey Allen is very close to being added to that list

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not being a bitch but how is he right about Seibold. At South’s he tried to remove all traces of Maguire (right or wrong) and then went to Brisbane and tried to erase Bennett...

At least with Seibold his coaching win percentage at South’s for a year was way better than Barrett’s before he went to Brisbane and came out of the closet..
All the "experts" in the media were raving about him, matty john's etc

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair enough but I have always considered him a c. (Please spellcheck for me mate)
I did too, it was so obvious that Maguire had run those players into the ground and those players just needed a break from Maguire which would get them winning again. But yet seibold took all the credit simply for not being Maguire.

But none the less seibold was heralded as a great coach for that one season at souths, which is why I'm saying, unless someone is able to do proper due diligence, I just don't think our (people on a forum not in the NRL bubble) recommendation for coaches is worth discussion. We can discuss what type of coach we want but as to whether any of these coaches are that type, I just don't think we're in a position to make those suggestions

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see James Graham hired as a forwards coach or even a trainer.

I hate hiring people simply because they used to play for us but we need passion instilled into these players and I think Graham would have a lot to offer as he's very articulate and he was a smart, skilled player as well as being an enforcer.

Noddy as a halves coach would be worth looking into as well. I don't care if Baz has a relationship with them or not. It's about results, not personal relationships and jobs for mates like with Ferris..
He was on the Matty John’s show the other night and was great at dissecting the play. He will be a great coach.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
One could also argue that our real pack leader was frank pritchard because after he left (thanks des) there was a definite drop off in our packs effectiveness.

Des has solved his strength and conditioning, he's got some very big boys from their ranks playing for them. I think the strength of the forward pack more has to do with the players natural build than really achieving anything in the gym.
So true about a players build mate, I’ve been saying on here for years we go for that same body shape in the back row, shortish/nuggety type who are one-dimensional.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So true about a players build mate, I’ve been saying on here for years we go for that same body shape in the back row, shortish/nuggety type who are one-dimensional.
Look at the height and weight stats of manly's forward pack vs ours, and there's the reason of why they were making 70 to 80 metres every set against us.

We just can't match them in size. Thompson and hetherington look like gym freaks but they were getting COMPLETELY DOMINATED by players who just had a naturally bigger build

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I did too, it was so obvious that Maguire had run those players into the ground and those players just needed a break from Maguire which would get them winning again. But yet seibold took all the credit simply for not being Maguire.

But none the less seibold was heralded as a great coach for that one season at souths, which is why I'm saying, unless someone is able to do proper due diligence, I just don't think our (people on a forum not in the NRL bubble) recommendation for coaches is worth discussion. We can discuss what type of coach we want but as to whether any of these coaches are that type, I just don't think we're in a position to make those suggestions
Ok mate. I agree with most of your Seibold comment but not the last paragraph. Are those who make those decisions “special”, do they go to Footy School? I don’t buy it.

Yes it’s the full time job but that doesn’t mean they have the only answer or opinion. They enjoy a closer to the action view but not necessarily always the best viewpoint..

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok mate. I agree with most of your Seibold comment but not the last paragraph. Are those who make those decisions “special”, do they go to Footy School? I don’t buy it.

Yes it’s the full time job but that doesn’t mean they have the only answer or opinion. They enjoy a closer to the action view but not necessarily always the best viewpoint..
I'm just saying the only thing we can judge on are the results but it could be we're seeing results because of effective players or a natural defenisve leader player or a head coach, or other coaching member rather than the person labelled as a defence coach or attacking coach (e.g. Barrett) at Penrith) and credited with the results.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

No doubt, Frank was massively important too. He was a great player

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm just saying the only thing we can judge on are the results but it could be we're seeing results because of effective players or a natural defenisve leader player or a head coach, or other coaching member rather than the person labelled as a defence coach or attacking coach (e.g. Barrett) at Penrith) and credited with the results.
Fair enough, but we still have a major problem that is appearing to get worse as the season continues. I just want us to recognise there is a problem first, and then hopefully address it immediately and not put it off until it’s too late again…

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tigers worse than us
Players have been rejecting them
Pr spin on pangai , they missed out, as his management said he would rather go to play for trent