ARL Commission approve 18th man introduction

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's a pretty hard thing to rort if you need to have three ruled out with concussion. I doubt everyone's going to fake ten concussions in the last twenty minutes. It would be pretty obvious.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since when has a team had three HIA fails?

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a pretty hard thing to rort if you need to have three ruled out with concussion. I doubt everyone's going to fake ten concussions in the last twenty minutes. It would be pretty obvious.
HIA currently doesn’t count as an interchange does it? Because the system is rorted every game if they are not counted. Around the 20-30 minute mark of matches there seem a lot of HIA replacements.

They need to go further with this 18th man decision.

I think they should add 3 development players to the bench to be used for HIA. One Forward, one back and one utility. Development meaning outside the top 30.

They can only (and must) be used for HIA. They can be used as a normal replacement after 60 minutes.

This would solve the problem of HIA but also slowly introduce young players to First Grade.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
HIA currently doesn’t count as an interchange does it? Because the system is rorted every game if they are not counted. Around the 20-30 minute mark of matches there seem a lot of HIA replacements.

They need to go further with this 18th man decision.

I think they should add 3 development players to the bench to be used for HIA. One Forward, one back and one utility. Development meaning outside the top 30.

They can only (and must) be used for HIA. They can be used as a normal replacement after 60 minutes.

This would solve the problem of HIA but also slowly introduce young players to First Grade.
HIA's don't count as interchanges. Having a 7 man bench is going too far in my opinion. The 18th man will probably rarely get used most rounds but it's a good thing to implement in case teams get decimated in one game.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I got excited and thought the NRL were giving us a exemption to play with 18 on the field.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
HIA's don't count as interchanges. Having a 7 man bench is going too far in my opinion. The 18th man will probably rarely get used most rounds but it's a good thing to implement in case teams get decimated in one game.
How many forwards are going down with HIA at the time they are due to be replaced?

HIA is being rorted and will continue to be rorted. As you say the 18th man will never be used. Requiring 3 people to be ruled out of the game before they can play.

I am saying with 3 HIA player on the bench (all players outside the top 30) these players are the only players used when it’s a HIA you cannot use your normal bench for HIA. Unless the player is concussed as a result of foul play. Then it’s a free interchange of anyone on the bench.

This would eliminate players milking it at the time they are due for replacement.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Supposedly only "an emerging player" can be the 18th man? That seems like a ridiculous stipulation. Why expose a kid before they're ready?

Even the best teams 18th man isn't going to be so amazing that teams would get a huge advantage from playing them. I really don't know how they come up with this nonsense.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So why not just have a 5 man bench instead. If anything it will add more strategy and tactical options like soccer and stop all these restrictions and rorting..