Are there any refs out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Girth

Waterboy
Reaction score
I know referring is a thankless task, but the standard of refering in our Junior club competion is ordinary to say the least.

Am I being to hard? Referring blatant errors are costing some junior sides semi final positions.

Please offer any comments as I am just frustrated and feel for players whom are getting the raw end of the deal.

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
Osman's cousin is a referee LOL LOL .....

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
he is only 16 FFS! he'll live and learn after his disasterous officiating this saturday :p

RobDog55er

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You've got amature referees in an amature competition. The referees in todays junior comps are volunteer in stature and only a few have the desire to become professional all the way. Feel free to scrutinise the professional referees, but the junior footy teams will get the referee deemed capable of refereeing to their level.

The standard of football that is being played deserves further scrutiny. Most games I've seen this season involve "pass it to the big fella" offensive stratergy and turnstyle type defence. You only have to look at Greenacre's A Grade and 19's sides to see what teams deserve to be in the semis. Their offence statergy of high risk/high reward has paid off tremendously this season and is a tribute to their senior coaching staff and their training.

Going down the grades, clubs expected to go thru such as Revesby Heights 17's paid the price of poor discipline and pure frustration. As upset as they were to miss out on the semi's, theres no point on blaming the refs, as they had ample opportunity during the season to obtain a higher position on the ladder. And frankly, relying on two players to do all the hardwork in your games will win you some matches, it won't get you premierships.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
he is only 16 FFS! he'll live and learn after his disasterous officiating this saturday :p
Give him some encouragement mate. He's only doing the touch lines in U8. What can possibly go wrong?

RobDog55er

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Give him some encouragement mate. He's only doing the touch lines in U8. What can possibly go wrong?
Those parents can be very intimidating! No better experience for an up and coming young referee, I say! He'll become better for it.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
good on him for giving it a go. regardless of the decisions he makes, he'll always have one (or both) teams and supporters against him. tough role.

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
a crazy parent charging at him
Well go there and give him some support mate. I did talk to him yesterday and he said he loves copping the crowd abuse :grinning:

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Girth ....a suggestion for you, where i live, just over 1 hour west of brisbane, we to struggled for refeeres,

each weekend we had plenty of people yelling abuse to the refs during and after their kids games, until one weekend, no refs turned up, the reasons given by the junior rugby league association were.........

all refs were volinteers
all refs gave up their time to help our kids
all refs copped abuse
all refs had threats made against them

a proposal was put forward that parents and some club trainers were to be trained as referees for under 7 and under 8 games.
this eventually came into force during the season, where parents were doing the refereeing of the juniors,
and you know what, they copped heaps from other parents on the sidelines

not one parent came off the field, and said that was easy.
the parent referees started to know what the junior rugby league referees had to put up with each weekend, and got together to make unruly parents shut their mouths, or put their hand up to referee in future games.

every junior rugby league association would have a refereeing course,open to any person.

i suggest anyone who has trouble shutting their mouths, or giving the referees a fair go at their kids junior league games do the course,

The Girth

Waterboy
Reaction score
Its a shame Greenacre dont have the same discipline you are quoting throughout their whole club, including officials.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Junior refs make the same mistake your kids make when they drop the ball tbh.

Inthesheds

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not sure if I read the post correctly, but I think someone mentioned referee's in the Canterbury district are volunteers.....As far as I'm aware they're paid...and paid well!

I must say, I havent seen too many of the more junior games this season, but of the games I've seen in the more senior levels, the quality is very ordinary.

It is a tough gig though, and I think all clubs are asking for is consistency.

As for the shot someone took at Greenacre, I dont think theres any issue anymore with them. They're a good club run by good people. To be honest, I thought it was very unfair of Canterbury to put their 19's GF qualifier against Sporties at Sporties home ground when Greenacre were minor premiers....a few other clubs got the same raw deal...I dont get it with Canterbury sometimes, but I'm sure there's some reason for it. :confused:

The Girth

Waterboy
Reaction score
I am sure there are good people at Greenacre.
But the usual issues still exist.
Eg. 1 Ground official wanting to take off his vest and punch on with a visiting teams supporters having to be held back by his own officials.
Eg 2 Junior player suspended for 15 matches last week for innappropriate behaviour and gestures to the crowd.
All I can say is im glad my kids dont play with a club that has this type of behaviour out there for all to see............

Dog catcher

Waterboy
Reaction score
There is a Referee that does the 15's. Now he has mates in one of the sides but you would honestly never know. He is fair dinkum straight up and his calls are fair. He doesnt cop back chat and he'll penalise u or bin you for pushing or instigating fights. He can hold his head high! Not easy to stand up to ya mates!

Inthesheds

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I am sure there are good people at Greenacre.
But the usual issues still exist.
Eg. 1 Ground official wanting to take off his vest and punch on with a visiting teams supporters having to be held back by his own officials.
Eg 2 Junior player suspended for 15 matches last week for innappropriate behaviour and gestures to the crowd.
All I can say is im glad my kids dont play with a club that has this type of behaviour out there for all to see............
Hmmm thats a shame to hear, but I wouldnt be basing my opinion on a club on the actions of two people.

I notice their A grade made the Grand Final yesterday...Dont think they've ever won an A Grade title...I'll have to check my annual booklet thingy from last year though...lol.

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
cough cough
He did very well. It's some of the old people not supporting him that is wrong. The crowd knew he made the right calls. I just think more than just one in this blokes family should show him some support. One person in particular should give him more encouragement.... You know who you are.

G

giant

i was at a game on the weekend sports vs st chris under 11 the dummy half ran the ball and got tackled short but the play went on and the next tackle they score and that try provide the diff in a tight game in the end a real shame.something that simple can not be detected by all 3 refs controlling that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.