Are Players being Coached to Milk the Obstruction Rule ..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, the blocking rule for the kicker in general play is working for us.

Boyd was terrorised by Kickau yesterday because the Titans could no longer block defenders from trying to stop the fifth tackle kick.

We never used blockers, so we are not at risk of being penalised for protecting our halves.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course, indirectly. No one will come out and say "we train, or take pointers about it"

The game as it becomes bigger and richer will evolve to be like soccer with the penalties and technical rulings, unless NRL supports ref self discretion more and should do, carefully. I'm no expert, not sure how they'll sort that.

A big part in a "good" professional soccer players' game unashamadely is they can attract fouls, they train and learn to place their bodies to do so, or act. Some coaches/managers academies like it.

I hate it though
Soccer is abit different, as he or she who is closest to the ball, is deemed to have posession, and so the rules favour that player, and yes players are trained to put themselves in position.

But theres no obstruction rule in soccer. If you can use a shepherd to gain advantage, its all part of the game. Blocking a goalkeeper from a corner cross is a perfect example.

Rugby league has a more black and white interpretation of who has posession but aldo has obstruction rule.

Rather than make a subjective call on whether a player has been truly obstructed to the point where he could have made a difference to the play, the NRL decided to make a black or white rule, which in half the cases seems ridiculous- especially when it is milked by players.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Awesome win, so happy for the coach, the players, and all us suffering supporters, .. [emoji838][emoji836]️

Would love to see the team continue to grow in confidence and go on a winning streak from here .. especially a big win against those Wotten Wabbits ..

Might be a bit of a contentious comment ..

But is the obstruction rule being milked .. and are coaches now training players to do it …. If so, why are the referees falling for it ..

Do the coaches & players now understand the obstruction rule enough to use it to their advantage when in trouble defensively .. did Foran subtlety move into Preso for the disallowed Wilson try, did Brimson know they were in trouble and run straight and hard into Burton and milk it to disallow the Curran try …

We saw one involving the ref last week, plus I believe there’s been a few others ..

Am I just looking at this with blue & white eyes … or are others seeing the same .. is it happening in other games ?

If so, how long is it going to take the ref’s to catch on to what’s going on here .. ?

Sent from my iPad using The Kennel mobile app
Been going on for ages.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been going on for ages.
Yeah I think it has, most try’s scored have decoy runners, when in trouble just subtly move into one with your left shoulder looking like you were heading over to effect the tackle .. the one against Burton for the disallowed Curran try deserved an award .. I can’t believe the ref’s are falling for it ..

We all know there were logical reasons on why the try’s weren’t allowed, .. there were logical reasons on why they called a strip, loose possession, but I still believe it was stripped … the question was, are opposition players milking it and are the ref‘s falling for it ..

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Burton one stunk! That was a robbery again from these piece of shit refs. We still lost the penalty count by a significant margin despite dominating the game. These refs are pieces of shit but they are only going to make our resilience stronger with how Ciraldo is prepping the team.

The Preston one I can live with as the players know they have to get to the inside shoulder when they run a decoy.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Awesome win, so happy for the coach, the players, and all us suffering supporters, .. [emoji838][emoji836]️

Would love to see the team continue to grow in confidence and go on a winning streak from here .. especially a big win against those Wotten Wabbits ..

But is the obstruction rule being milked .. and are coaches now training players to do it …. If so, why are the referees falling for it ..

Do the coaches & players now understand the obstruction rule enough to use it to their advantage when in trouble defensively .. did Foran subtlety move into Preso for the disallowed Wilson try, did Brimson know they were in trouble and run straight and hard into Burton and milk it to disallow the Curran try …

We saw one involving the ref last week, plus I believe there’s been a few others ..

Am I just looking at this with blue & white eyes … or are others seeing the same .. is it happening in other games ?

If so, how long is it going to take the ref’s to catch on to what’s going on here .. ?

Happy enough with the Foran obstruction because he made the effort the get across and even though he got there , the split second he was obstructed may have an impact on the try being scored.

However, the Burton obstruction has me baffled.If anything he was there as a support player where he may have received the ball to score.

Last year against the warriors, we copped a similar try against us when Mahoney was obstructed but it was ruled the attacking player was a support player.

It's becoming increasing hard to score tries and i like to see some benefit afforded to the attacking teams especially since most officiating is an interpreation rather than a black / white rule

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Burton one stunk! That was a robbery again from these piece of shit refs. We still lost the penalty count by a significant margin despite dominating the game. These refs are pieces of shit but they are only going to make our resilience stronger with how Ciraldo is prepping the team.

The Preston one I can live with as the players know they have to get to the inside shoulder when they run a decoy.
Absolutely stoked that the team won, especially the way they dominated, kept them scoreless, and went about the win.

But just because they won doesn’t mean they should be letting the referees of the hook, CC should still be sending off an email to the ref’s and asking questions about some of those penalties and disallowed try’s … I’d also be questioning the stripped ball they said was a loose carry ..

Keep the bastards on notice .. even though that was our home ground, I still don’t believe we got the rub of the green ???

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sounds odd, but I'd coach the player to get it out of the play, how? I like my decoys and support runners so I'd say keep at it but that runner keeps running forrest gump style till next tackle. NRL hasn't worked out to counter that yet besides blowing an offside next tackle, otherwise the player taking advantage of the new hole should just drop down but that's ugly to see.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sounds odd, but I'd coach the player to get it out of the play, how? I like my decoys and support runners so I'd say keep at it but that runner keeps running forrest gump style till next tackle. NRL hasn't worked out to counter that yet besides blowing an offside next tackle, otherwise the player taking advantage of the new hole should just drop down but that's ugly to see.
Imagine that, "run me a forrest gump"

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Saw an beauty of an effort in the Manly Parra game today which cost Manly greatly . Yeah Trobojevic did stop, made no effort to block a player in the traditional sense, but the Parra player actually reached out a hand to touch him then made the effort to run and try and make the tackle...Manly scored but hey the player was "obstructed". Will most definitely have been a tactic by them.

We hear Annesley talking about the try we were denied and the fact that the defensive player could not have been obstructed as players in defence would simply in the future run into the referee to negate the play.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Its natural to milk any rule if you are going to get a big advantage from it like block points against you and win games.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The obstruction rule shouldn't be so black and white. Some common sense has to come into it otherwise players will and are exploiting the rule like what happened in Manly Parra game yesterday where a player only has to run towards the decoy player coming though and get touched and it's a penalty even though the defender wasn't going towards the gap the ball runner was running through.

As for Preston, damned if you do damned if you don't. If he isn't running hard towards the defence and gets the ball he gets smashed. He didn't get the ball running hard and he couldn't just stop. But unlike the above incident this one is an obstruction.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Should ask Mitchell Moses, he's a pro at it.
Yes and he executed one perfectly on the weekend deliberately running into a Manly player and then making the perfect ten dive...

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The try Manly had disallowed yesterday they had the exact same disallowed against us last year. The only difference was they were leading 40-12 so no one really cared or blinked an eyelid. Parramatta took note of their tactic.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
When Burton jumped for the ball and pushed it backwards for Currin, he was a part of the play now - to think he somehow has to disappear is stupid. It's part of the game that he earned his position of contesting for the ball and batting it to his player to score - the fact that the opposition now have to chase him and run around Burton because he landed in that area in their way, after jumping for the ball legitimately is just footy.

The officials are ruining the game when they isolate technical rules that have no connection to the broader context of the game. It's like having Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory trying to figure out if someone is sarcastic or not. Imagine we have a bunch of Sheldons officiating on the field and in the Bunker.

It is embarrassing the NRL to no end!

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL just need to get right of the obstruction rule completely.

Either ban any lead runner and make it a penalty, or allow any lead runners without penalties.