Anthony Milford has reportedly told relatives he won't be returning to the Canb

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
ANTHONY Milford has told relatives he will not be returning to Canberra in a blow to Raiders coach Ricky Stuart's hopes of blocking his likely move to the Broncos.

As revealed by The Sunday Mail last month, Stuart travelled to Brisbane and met with the Milford family to discuss the prospect of the boom rookie staying in Canberra.

But it is understood Milford has played his last game in a Raiders jumper. The 19-year-old has informed his cousin at the Broncos, under-20s prop Francis Molo, that he wants to remain with family in Brisbane when he returns from World Cup duty next month.

Milford, who has a get-out clause relating to the health of his sick father Halo, will turn out for Samoa against New Zealand tomorrow in a Group B clash in Warrington.

The Raiders whiz is contracted to the club until the end of next season, preventing NRL rivals from formally approaching him until November 1 this year.

But from this Friday, potential suitors can hold negotiations with his management, giving Broncos operations chief Andrew Gee the ability to table a formal offer for Milford.

Canberra are doing everything possible to accommodate Milford, but the gravity of his homesickness was best illustrated when the Raiders' season ended six weeks ago.

Within days of Canberra's final game against Cronulla, Milford had returned to the Brisbane suburb of Inala to live with parents Halo and Marietta.

Should Milford refuse to return to Canberra for pre-season, the Raiders face two scenarios: concede defeat and allow him to join the Broncos, or force him to sit out the 2014 campaign.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner said yesterday the club would not activate the family-illness clause unless ordered to do so by the NRL if mediation is required.

"I've also heard that he won't be coming back," Furner said.

"I don't know anymore other than to say he will either be with us in 2014 or he won't be playing NRL.

"It's frustrating because we have put a lot of work into Anthony and the junior development work that we do.

"But we are holding firm on the contract, which is what we always said, and that stance hasn't changed."

A recent report suggested Stuart had successfully convinced Milford to stay after tabling a $100,000 upgrade.

But Milford's manager Sam Ayoub says the Maroons Origin hopeful is still weighing up his future and has sought legal advice on the relevant clause.

"I am sick and tired of what everyone else is saying. These people who say Anthony is now staying at Canberra, they wouldn't have a clue on what is going on," Ayoub said.

"The bottom line is the kid is in the UK, we are working through it, we are looking at what the kid can and can't do.

"We are not going to be pressured into making a decision based on what other people are saying and the agendas they want to run.

"We are getting some advice on Anthony's situation.

"I am talking to Anthony and he will do what he needs to do to move forward."

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl...canberra-raiders/story-fndujljl-1226747648199

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seriously the broncos need to be investigated trying to entice all these players out of their contracts

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree. Milford to Broncos is further motivation for Hoffman to come to the dogs.
The broncos do need someone to play in the halves alongside ben hunt which is milford. They could play hoffman at fullback with barba and milford in the halves but most likely barba will be at fullback with hoffman wanting out of the club.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest it is no Broncos fault that they can attract all these home sick players,

all the NSW clubs should put in a no get out clause due to homesickness in the contracts of all Qlders when they sign up.. if they refuse to sign then dont sign them up simple.

its a short term pain for a long term gain.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Funny thing is that Hoffman is still convinced he can get the Fullback position at the Broncos.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
how could the broncos keep all these players under the cap? Its going to be the 90s all over again with the broncos having the entire QLD origin side

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a joke really.

Hoff is loyal but isn't dumb (i hope), he has to be able to read between the lines.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Salary Cap.. what salary cap??

#1 Milford or Barba or Hoffman?
I would not be surprised if milford,cam smith and Daly cherry evans end up in brisbane in the next 2-3 years. There will be a big clear out at brisbane to accommodate these players and they will still be over the cap but the NRL will turn a blind eye to them just like they did to the roosters. A lil unfair ayy...lol

moronista

Waterboy
Reaction score
how could the broncos keep all these players under the cap? Its going to be the 90s all over again with the broncos having the entire QLD origin side
compare the 2 teams - seriously, if you think Brisbane are over the cap then the Dogs certainly are.

Have you looked at Brisbane's backline? Vidot is a possibility for 1 wingers spot - him or Corey Oates. Yow Yeh is done. He will not be back. Barba/Hoffman/Reed/Hodges (whenever he is fit)/Oates or Vidot. Compared to Inu/Lafai/Morris/Brown/Perrett. So, that's 3 current internationals to 2 to the Dogs.

The halves are Ben Hunt and someone else - Ash Taylor maybe. Hmmm, yeah, compare that to Reynolds and Hodkinson. That's 1 current SOO player compared to none.

The packs - Brisbane have Hannant, Glenn, Thaiday and Parker. The Dogs have Graham, Kasiano, Pritchard, Eastwood and Williams. And that's not mentioning Ennis compared to McCullough. That's 4 current internationals compared to 3. I wonder who's pack would be on more............

Dead set, you guys are blind and stupid if you think Brisbane is even anywhere near the cap limit.

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Funny thing is that Hoffman is still convinced he can get the Fullback position at the Broncos.
Why do you say that? All I've read recently are articles about him wanting a release?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard andrew gee on fox and hoffman is as good as released to us ,its was all the "at this stage hes contracted till 2015" exact dialogue being used with barba ,gets me excited i think hoffman will be a gun for us and improve under hasler

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
compare the 2 teams - seriously, if you think Brisbane are over the cap then the Dogs certainly are.

Have you looked at Brisbane's backline? Vidot is a possibility for 1 wingers spot - him or Corey Oates. Yow Yeh is done. He will not be back. Barba/Hoffman/Reed/Hodges (whenever he is fit)/Oates or Vidot. Compared to Inu/Lafai/Morris/Brown/Perrett. So, that's 3 current internationals to 2 to the Dogs.

The halves are Ben Hunt and someone else - Ash Taylor maybe. Hmmm, yeah, compare that to Reynolds and Hodkinson. That's 1 current SOO player compared to none.

The packs - Brisbane have Hannant, Glenn, Thaiday and Parker. The Dogs have Graham, Kasiano, Pritchard, Eastwood and Williams. And that's not mentioning Ennis compared to McCullough. That's 4 current internationals compared to 3. I wonder who's pack would be on more............

Dead set, you guys are blind and stupid if you think Brisbane is even anywhere near the cap limit.
Inu is on hardly anything and was signed from the warriors reserve grade and Perret was signed cheap as well as he wasn't wanted at the roosters. Also you forgot about Yow Yeh who is a SOO and Aus International you still have under contract even though he is injured
[h=1][/h]

moronista

Waterboy
Reaction score
Inu is on hardly anything and was signed from the warriors reserve grade and Perret was signed cheap as well as he wasn't wanted at the roosters. Also you forgot about Yow Yeh who is a SOO and Aus International you still have under contract even though he is injured
actually no, I didn't forget about Yow Yeh at all - I said it in my earlier post. And yeah, I'm sure Inu, a current international, and Perrett are on hardly anything. Although, I'm sure you could compare their contracts to those of Oates and Vidot if you like (even though they would both be on less than either Perrett or Inu).

Also, people seem to forget that players like Thaiday and Parker would attract the Long Serving player allowance, meaning there alone is an extra 200k allowed to be spent.

Like I said, just compare the sides - especially the halves and the forwards. The Brisbane halves would be lucky to be on 250k combined. The Dogs halves - a conservative double that. And it's not as if 4 international forwards plus the 600k per year T-Rex come cheap.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually no, I didn't forget about Yow Yeh at all - I said it in my earlier post. And yeah, I'm sure Inu, a current international, and Perrett are on hardly anything. Although, I'm sure you could compare their contracts to those of Oates and Vidot if you like (even though they would both be on less than either Perrett or Inu).

Also, people seem to forget that players like Thaiday and Parker would attract the Long Serving player allowance, meaning there alone is an extra 200k allowed to be spent.

Like I said, just compare the sides - especially the halves and the forwards. The Brisbane halves would be lucky to be on 250k combined. The Dogs halves - a conservative double that. And it's not as if 4 international forwards plus the 600k per year T-Rex come cheap.
I only hope that broncos do not get investigated for salary cap breaches because of the revenue they generate for the nrl.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
To be honest it is no Broncos fault that they can attract all these home sick players,

all the NSW clubs should put in a no get out clause due to homesickness in the contracts of all Qlders when they sign up.. if they refuse to sign then dont sign them up simple.

its a short term pain for a long term gain.
if players want homesick clauses in there contracts thats fine,
but clubs should have in there that if a player is homesick they can leave but cant sign with the broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.