Another feel good story for the Broncos

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa’s wayward son pursues post-prison NRL career with Broncos BRONCOS February 20, 2019 1:55pmJOE MCDONOUGHSource: FOX SPORTS Jamil Hopoate playing for the Redcliffe Dolphins in 2018. Picture: Jon SloanSource: Supplied Jamil Hopoate believes he would’ve had “four or five years” of NRL footy under his belt already if he hadn’t found trouble off the field. By trouble, we mean he and two mates viciously assaulted a man outside a northern beaches hotel in 2014. An incident that the court heard was “savage and unprovoked”.

He was jailed for nine months and spent his 20th birthday behind bars. He was watching peers like Jack Bird make the most of their first-grade opportunities while he was confined to a cramped cell wondering what could have been.

Now 24, a reformed Hopoate has received the green-light from the Integrity Unit to play first-grade. And after impressing so far on his train-and-trial deal with the Broncos (including a strong showing in the back-row against Souths Logan last weekend), he has given himself every chance of making that long-awaited NRL debut in 2019. “I got locked up. I was 19, and turned 20 inside. At 21 I went to play first grade and the NRL knocked me back. I’m 24 now and still haven’t got a debut so that is four or five years of my career that have gone down the drain that I could have been playing first grade,”

Hopoate said. “No-one wants to go through that but it has made me the man I am today. I have changed my ways and now I am trying to be a better person and role model for my daughter. “It was scary [in jail], but I was more disappointed in myself that I was wasting time. Your footy career is so short. I felt like I was letting not just myself but my family down as well.” Haas fined, will miss 4 games 2:16 His past is in stark contrast to that of his older brother Will, who has been a pin-up boy for the NRL since making his first-grade debut in 2010. “Will is an example of what to do and I am a perfect example of what not to do,” he told the Courier Mail.

But Hopoate also insists he has turned his life around. His young daughter keeping him on the straight and narrow. “It means the world to me to get back in a full-time system from where I have been, after finally getting cleared in the off-season,” he continued. “I met up with the Integrity Unit and they thought I was rehabilitated from my incident and I had changed,” he said. “I am on a train and trial here so hopefully they can give me a top 30 spot and I would be over the moon, for my daughter and for my family. “Now I want to be a better person and role model for my daughter.” Signed with the Redcliffe Dolphins, Hopoate has been named to make his second appearance for the Broncos in Saturday’s trial against Wynnum-Manly.

Donkeys keep recruiting thugs! Greenturd turn a blind eye!

Yet the Bulldogs have put the game in disrepute because they had a private end of season nude dance party and one of their players had a sex tape leaked which he was not aware of, and at that time he was playing for a different club!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm actually OK with this (in the same was I'm OK Russell Packer playing again). Both Packer and Hopoate have been jailed and served a sentence (including a criminial conviction/record) for their crimes. They've done the crime, done the time, and are trying to rebuild their lives after it.

It's the ***** like Lodge and Inglis who constant shrug away responsibility when they SHOULD be locked up that piss me off.

Speaking of feel good stories... Sandor Earl playing for Storm this weekend in the trial! Another player who deserves a fair go after being slammed/suspended for drugs.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Roosters
Broncos
Panthers
Knights
Top 4 this year if the media is anything to by

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Greenberg is obviously satisfied Brisbane did their due dilligence when signing Lodge, Haas, Hopoate and that other junior who's sentenced to two years prison. All for violent crimes mind you.

Or if that same club has a banned official in the coaches box during the finals, then no due dilligence is required, nor is any punishment necessary.

But if someone gets naked in private but someone releases a video against their will, or photographs them without their knowledge (both acts are illegal), then they need to be made an example of and that club is entirely responsible.

It all makes perfect sense. Thank goodness the code is in such great hands.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish our Hoppa had more of a mean streak.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I wish our Hoppa had more of a mean streak.
Why? Hoppa was all class for us last year and we don’t have to worry about him fucking up and derailing our season.

Good deal.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@dekepefc @Dogzof95

You didn't mention, he met with the Dogs last year, but they had money issues.

“I met with Canterbury [last year] and they said they had money issues, and that was it.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/19/ive-learned-some-painful-lessons-jamil-hopoate
Nah we just weren't interested and let him down gently. If we had money issues why approach him, he must have approached us.. we pulled the "it's not you its us" trick, then signed other players.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Why? Hoppa was all class for us last year and we don’t have to worry about him fucking up and derailing our season.

Good deal.
I mean more '****' about him during games, not being a complete off-field fuck up.

Big difference.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I mean more '****' about him during games, not being a complete off-field fuck up.

Big difference.
He’s a fullback (and these days, a very good one.) I don’t see why he needs more “****” on or off the field....I think it’s more important that he is skilful (which he is).

To each their own, I guess...

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s a fullback (and these days, a very good one.) I don’t see why he needs more “****” on or off the field....I think it’s more important that he is skilful (which he is).

To each their own, I guess...
I still like him don't get me wrong.