Not open for further replies.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Source: Official NRL Website
Author: Matt Encarnacion
Date: 8th of May

He's had three goes at the City-Country fixture but Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman remains clueless on what exactly he has to do to get the attention of NSW selectors.

Tolman, 25, made his representative breakthrough back in 2011 when he was handed his first Country jumper. But three years on and the Kempsey product still doesn't know whether he's truly on the Origin radar because he's never really been spoken to about it.

"And I wouldn't expect them to," a humble Tolman told NRL.com. "There are other guys out there that miss out as well. I really enjoyed playing City-Country. For me it's a great game and who knows what brings at the end of it – I'm sure some guys in those two teams will get picked for Origin.

"At the end of the day if you're putting your hand up and doing your best at club level, you're putting your best foot forward to get picked."

As evidenced by their snug position at the top of the League ladder, the Bulldogs have proven to be the best team in the NRL after eight rounds. Canterbury-Bankstown had 12 players involved across the four representative games last weekend, and judging by some of their form across the board there are strong cases for a number of their players to make Laurie Daley's line-up for State of Origin I. Someone like standout five-eighth Josh Reynolds and field goal expert Trent Hodkinson.

"Trent Hodkinson has been unreal," offered clubmate and City prop David Klemmer. "He's a strong little guy and if he got the opportunity to represent in anything, he wouldn't let anyone down.

"We'd just have to see what the selectors are thinking. If they do pick 'Grubby' [Josh Reynolds] at six, Queensland will be in for a hard day in the office. He'd be aggressive and up in their face."

And Tolman is another who wouldn't look out of place in a blue jumper. But with the likes of James Tamou, Andrew Fifita and Aaron Woods in front of him, the former Melbourne frontman knows he's in a long queue.

Yet it's not as though he's short of big game experience, having played in two grand finals – one with the Bulldogs in 2012, and another in Storm colours in 2009.

"I wouldn't say it makes me more hungry," he said of his annual snub. "I enjoy the [representative week] week and I really want to play Origin so I don't think it makes me any more hungry.

"It's one of those things you can't really control. As long as I'm playing well for the Dogs, thing will happen. And if they don't, I've got to continue to keep turning up. That's footy. There's other guys there that miss out too so I'm sure they'd be disappointed as much as me."

What he won't fall in the trap of doing is changing his game in order to gain the attention of Laurie Daley.

"I've got to play well for the Dogs, I've got a role here to do. I'm not changing my game just to get picked in those sides. It's my first priority here to play club football, after that those things happen," he said.

And according to Klemmer, those things should happen now.

"He's been leading us around the park and he's the sort of player I look up to every week," he said. "He deserves it – he's State of Origin material. From the start of the season he's been playing unreal. It's to the selectors. I just know he won't let anyone down if picked."

*I'd have Tolman over Woods any day.. They all go on about how tough Woods is..IMO he's about as intimidating as a wet flannel!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
unfortunately hes not explosive and hes not at all eye catching, but its good for us

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know you will get 100% consistent no mistakes footy from Tolman. I cant remember the last time he dropped the ball. He would not let anyone down. People go on about his size and he is one of the smaller props but he would get the job done.
Unfortunately I do not think it will ever happen for some reason. Just like Hindmarsh who should have been 1st picked every year.

JuStINcReDIbLe.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aiden Tolman is absolutely brilliant. That type of forward who is so consistent and does the dirty stuff no one notices

Sick of the haters on here who give him shit for not being "explosive" or "breaks the line"

He isnt and will never be that type of player - IMO in the top 5 props in the business

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Aiden Tolman is absolutely brilliant. That type of forward who is so consistent and does the dirty stuff no one notices

Sick of the haters on here who give him shit for not being "explosive" or "breaks the line"

He isnt and will never be that type of player - IMO in the top 5 props in the business
yeah i meant not explosive to explain why he isnt in nsw contention, im very satisfied with his performance for the club

DOGGIESSTYLE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman wouldn't put a foot wrong in the Origin arena, but unfortunately he isn't able to bend the line and isnt the most flashiest player, a lot like hindmarsh what i don't understand is why nsw never at least pick one workhorse forward to keep the middle defense strong.

JuStINcReDIbLe.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i meant not explosive to explain why he isnt in nsw contention, im very satisfied with his performance for the club
I knew what you meant - talking about others mate

SOO is a whole different ball game.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I knew what you meant - talking about others mate

SOO is a whole different ball game.
yeah i was just making sure because i used the same term that annoys you, even what i was saying was what i imagine the selectors think (the selectors that lost x amount in a row to qld), he could do well for NSW imo

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great club player, wouldn't fit the bill for Origin, especially when bending the line isn't his forte.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Interesting to see the kind of respect Klemmer has for Tolman. Tipped to be a future Kangaroo and with loads of raps on him, Klemmer "looks up to" Tolman and says he "leads us around the park". Seems to be a good honest bloke without an ego problem too.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Can't fault him for the performances he puts in week to week. Every team needs someone like him in the line up IMO

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just on Klemmer, although he is a gun, I am expecting a few off field incidents over the first few years of his career.

He just seems a little bit "loose" as most young blokes are at that age.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't fault him for the performances he puts in week to week. Every team needs someone like him in the line up IMO
True, not every player needs perform miracles, sometimes you just need an honest workhorse who's going to tuck the ball under the arm and make metres.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just on Klemmer, although he is a gun, I am expecting a few off field incidents over the first few years of his career.

He already has a kid and a small family, I wouldn't expect it from him especially with the wraps and the standard the club expects him to be at it on and off the field. He has too much to lose already which is good for a young man to keep inline.

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score

Are you serious, the guy is married and had a child. IMO Don't think he's not that stupid...

He's not a barba to be doing stuff like that, follow his instagram on Dnc_Klemmer

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Are you serious, the guy is married and had a child. IMO Don't think he's not that stupid...

He's not a barba to be doing stuff like that, follow his instagram on Dnc_Klemmer
Exactly he has far too much to give up just to have some stupid fun.

dogs_of_war89

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

The guy pops one fake molly in the dogs team song and he's classed as loose lol

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree with most of people here, Klemmer seems to have too much respect for himself and his career to do something really stupid. Sure young blokes can do some dumb stuff sometimes, but there are plenty around who haven't, Klemmer looks like he might be smart/respectful enough to skip the stupid.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't rate Tolman as a rep player but can I say this.

If he was a Queenslander he would be one of the first picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.