Angry Super League club issues 'hands off' warning over NRL raid on George Williams

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like Moses is our real ONLY option now unless we'd be happy with someone like Croft

English club Warrington has issued a stern "hands off" warning to NRL clubs chasing star halfback George Williams.

One of the Lions' best during the Rugby League World Cup, Williams has already proven he can handle the NRL in his impressive 18-month stint with Canberra.

Several NRL clubs are struggling for direction at No.7 and have their eyes on the smart Englishman.

But Warrington boss Karl Fitzpatrick told Wide World of Sports they will have to look elsewhere.

"George still has two years left to run on his contract with Warrington - end of story," Fitzpatrick said from England.

England's George Williams during the Rugby League World Cup. (Photo by Adam Davy/PA Images via Getty Images) (PA Images via Getty Images)

"You don't sell your best players and we are happy with George and he is happy with us so he is staying right here."

Williams was so impressive in the World Cup that he beat Nathan Cleary, Jahrome Hughes and Anthony Milford to be named at halfback in the team of the tournament.

FORMER STORM NO.7 ATTRACTING INTEREST
Another Super League halfback in demand in the NRL is former Storm and Broncos playmaker Brodie Croft.

Croft never really set the world on fire in his six seasons in the NRL but came of age this year at Salford.

Like Jackson Hastings did a few years back, the move to the UK saw Croft shine and he won the Man of Steel award - Super League's equivalent of the Dally M Medal.

The Knights were keen on Croft, before ironically signing Hastings, and several other clubs have asked about his availability.

But Croft, whose partner is English, has pledged his allegiance to Salford for the next 12 months and NRL clubs will have to wait until 2024 to have a crack at him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That doesn't mean much... If Williams wants to go back to the NRL soon as is reported, there's no point forcing him to stay. If a club offers a reasonable transfer fee, I'm sure he'll change his tune.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That doesn't mean much... If Williams wants to go back to the NRL soon as is reported, there's no point forcing him to stay. If a club offers a reasonable transfer fee, I'm sure he'll change his tune.
Maybe Uncle Arthur can offer a bit more than an average transfer fee. It's outside the cap anyway. With our 2 execs in England for a while now though you would think they have already tried everything and it's been unsuccessful

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe Uncle Arthur can offer a bit more than an average transfer fee. It's outside the cap anyway. With our 2 execs in England for a while now though you would think they have already tried everything
Let's hope so.. I've been talking about how I want Williams for ages, even before the World Cup, but we'll see what happens.

Other clubs like the Tigers, Titans, Warriors, Dolphins etc would probably all be after Williams too. We see comments like that all of the time from club CEOs, coaches etc and soon after they've signed somewhere else.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s always a concern for me chasing players from England, as quick as they want to come they can easily leave.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Translation: "We want a bigger transfer fee"
This is right on the money (pardon the pun). If Williams was content to stay in Super league and Warrington were detemined to keep him, why comment at all? The fact that Fitzpatrick felt the need to make a comment suggests to me that Williams is already half way out the door, and Warrington are getting their fans softened up to accept the news.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Translation: "We want a bigger transfer fee"
Yeah, it's the same story as when we signed Thommo, just with the names changed. It'll depend on where the player wants to play in the end.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
SL players get the good money but im betting they would like to test themselves at the heavy duty version

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Get Wiiliams and Herbie and job done, we have a good spine.
Yeh in more than 2 years from now. Personally I hope we have sorted 7 before then

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh in more than 2 years from now. Personally I hope we have sorted 7 before then
Unfortunately mate I cant see an earlier option thats going to actually happen or work? Unless CC performs a coaching miracle and Flange suddenly clicks, we are light on for options within the club and unless Gus has an ace up his sleave 24 seems more likely.

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unfortunately mate I cant see an earlier option thats goig to actually happen or work? Unless CC performs a coaching miracle and Flange suddenly clicks, we are light on for options within the club and unless Gus has an ace up his sleave 24 seems more likely.
And if we don't get Moses, then 2025 is the earliest we can get a decent 7. Unless Gus' plan is to put all our faith in Rajab.