Official Andrew Davey opens up on life under Ciraldo

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Andrew Davey opens up on life under Canterbury Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo
[emoji438] Telegraph Sport

Current players may not be prepared to speak candidly, but former Bulldog Andrew Davey has opened up on his troubled time at Canterbury and issues with coach Cameron Ciraldo.

It takes a lot to upset Parramatta Eels forward Andrew Davey.

But when he hears about the current turmoil at his old club the Bulldogs, and the treatment of a rising Canterbury star who was forced to take personal leave for mental-health care, he’s prepared to talk.

Davey lasted just eight rounds at Belmore before asking for a release to join Parramatta.

He’s certainly not soft, nor a whinger.

“The way the Bulldogs went about things, I didn’t like it,” Davey said.

“It wasn’t a culture that I fitted in with and it wasn’t the style of coaching that I resonated with.”

Davey has battled hard his entire career since making his debut at 28.

He’s been an honest, reliable, no-frills forward with a great work ethic at Manly, the Bulldogs and the Eels.

He’s one of those players who avoids the limelight and any controversy, even at Manly last year when the playing group was fractured over the Pride jersey fiasco.

He says the situation at Belmore this year was worse. Other players like Tevita Pangai Jr, Franklin Pele, Braidon Burns, Fa’amanu Brown have had their issues, too.

“Players had concerns (at Canterbury), but they weren’t at panic stations,” he said. “I had a couple of gripes, but I won’t go into specifics. We weren’t all pulling the same way.

“It just wasn’t my cup of tea, and a lot different to what I’ve experienced at Manly and Parramatta.

Davey was released from the final two years of his Canterbury contract in April.

He wasn’t there to witness the incident where the young player was forced to wrestle all his teammates as punishment for arriving late to training.

His problem seemed more around the coaching style of Cameron Ciraldo, rather than player workload.

“It wasn’t great with Cameron,” Davey said.

“In the end we didn’t talk when I was leaving. It was very cold. I didn’t get the ideology of the coaches. It wasn’t a process that I’d been accustomed to.

“I guess in every business there are people that don’t always get along.

“You’ve just got to go somewhere else where you’re happy. And that’s what I chose.”

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has he come out to make himself look like a bitch or has DT gone hunting for more comments? Either way good riddance. No one likes a whinging ****. Clearly not the player we need or required.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Righto. What a fucking weak pussy trying to dig the knife in after getting the boot.

I knew this was a garbage media wank when they wrote

‘He’s been an honest, reliable, no-frills forward with a great work ethic at Manly, the Bulldogs and the Eels.’

Beyond average player who sucked at manly, sucked with us and sucks with the scum.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy was never on the field. His comments are of no significance but reading into this some of the players have clashed with ciraldo over treatment of injuries and playing when not fully fit.