An open letter to the NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am about to send a letter to the bigwigs at NRL, I know it will not be read and summarily dismissed, but at least I know it has been sent.

Can I get your thoughts on the content of the letter before I send it, (so I don't sound like a ranting moron - I wrote the letter quickly, and have not re read as yet, so it might be gibberish)

Excuse the dot points - apparently copy / paste from word to here sucks

Dear Mr Smith and Mr Greenburg,

I am writing to you as a very concerned fan of rugby league in Australia.
I would firstly like to state that I am a committed and passionate Canterbury Bulldogs fan, but that has nothing to do with the reason I am writing you today.
I am writing to you as I have ongoing concerns in relation to the general health of Rugby League, under your watches I firmly believe the quality of our game has drastically deteriorated due to;

· The apparent lack of accountability of the Referees
o In respect to this point, no one with an association to a club is allowed to publicly comment on the quality of referring, which is rapidly deteriorating
o I do not blame the referees directly for this, instead I place the blame firmly at your feet.
§ If this were a business, any underperformances are recognised and addressed using training, performance management and eventually termination.
§ This does not seem to be the case with the NRL, instead you adopt a “protected species” approach, where no one is allowed to criticise or comment on this.

o This lack of accountability, in my opinion has resulted in many things
§ The inability of playing staff and coaching staff to comment on the refereeing leads to us fans getting frustrated, as we have no idea if our club feels the same frustration that we feel as passionate supporters.
§ The fans being frustrated, leads to us fans feeling detached from the sport and consequently going to watch other sports or no sports at all.
· If the loyal fans leave the game, the future generations will not get involved either.
§ Players are left with the ability to only voice their dissatisfaction and frustration on the field, this means that there is increased friction between the players and officials on game day, a loss of trust and respect also follows.

· The randomness at which the judiciary and match review committee assign blame and punishment.
o The same infraction can cost a different player a different amount of weeks, fo no real reason, and yes I understand carry over points etc, that is not what I am talking about. If I really need to elaborate on this point, you truly have your head in the sand.

· Player transfers
o I wait with baited breath to see how this new system fixes the problem

· State of Origin
o The jewel in the crown of rugby league – Really….. as much as I get on board with the Origin Hype every year, and cry into my beer as QLD win yet another series. I have had enough of it distracting us from the more important NRL Premiership, which as a diehard Bulldogs fan, I cheer all year in the hope they hold up the premiership. State of Origin is too disruptive to the premiership, and as such, you have turned the NRL premiership into a joke whilst state of origin is on.
§ I believe the plane that Wayne Bennett floated (or similar too) would be an ideal solution to this problem
· Play origin over a 4 week period
· Split 2 rounds of NRL
· 4 games played each week
· All players involved for Origin are unavailable for these 2 rounds
· 3 Origin games played 3 weeks in a row
§ This keeps the Origin Hype rolling during these weeks
§ This also leads to as minimal as possible impact to the NRL competition whilst still being able to showcase Origin in all its glory (P.S. go NSW).

For now, that will do in relation to my frustrations. I have many more but honestly not enough time to express them.

Kind Regards

A passionate Rugby League Fan

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good one Ecca!! We share very similar sentiments on, for the most part, everything you bring up.

There needs to a thorough EXTERNAL review of the NRL, top down...but that will never happen, as the stakeholders are fine with the current status quo.

check spelling here "I believe the plane that Wayne Bennett floated (or similar too) would be an ideal solution to this problem"

~cb.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Good one Ecca!! We share very similar sentiments on, for the most part, everything you bring up.

There needs to a thorough EXTERNAL review of the NRL, top down...but that will never happen, as the stakeholders are fine with the current status quo.

check spelling here "I believe the plane that Wayne Bennett floated (or similar too) would be an ideal solution to this problem"

~cb.
Floating planes are better than sinking ones (bad taste I know) - THANKS

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will probably stop reading after they see Bulldogs fan but Really good letter hope it works out for you.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I can see this as the response they'd like to send you.

Dear Passionate NRL Fan,

You are correct, the NRL is a business. A business WE are employed to run and manage, not you.

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

As such please keep your opinions to yourself whilst we keep getting $$$$ salaries for doing more and more damage to the game whilst keeping our betting partners happy.

Get stuffed,

ENahHell Representative

*shreds original letter*
and this as the response you will get

Dear Passionate Rugby League Fan,

Thank you for voicing your concerns.

It is impertive to the future of the game that feedback from fans is not only received, but heard.

We are commited and working hard to futhur improve the game, to result in a more enjoyable experience for all fans.

We are currently reviewing all ideas regarding changes surrounding Origin.

Thank you for your support of the game.

Kind Regards,

PREPRINTED SIGNATURE
Office of people you sent it to.

*filed under I for IGNORE*

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I expect silence, but I will also get copies of the letter out on social media in the hope of generating a response

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am about to send a letter to the bigwigs at NRL, I know it will not be read and summarily dismissed, but at least I know it has been sent.

Can I get your thoughts on the content of the letter before I send it, (so I don't sound like a ranting moron - I wrote the letter quickly, and have not re read as yet, so it might be gibberish)

I would firstly like to state that I am a committed and passionate Canterbury Bulldogs fan, but that has nothing to do with the reason I am writing you today.
I am writing to you as I have ongoing concerns in relation to the general health of Rugby League, under your watches I firmly believe the quality of our game has drastically deteriorated due to;

o In respect to this point, no one with an association to a club is allowed to publicly comment on the quality of referring, which is rapidly deteriorating
o I do not blame the referees directly for this, instead I place the blame firmly at your feet.
§ If this were a business, any underperformances are recognised and addressed using training, performance management and eventually termination.
§ This does not seem to be the case with the NRL, instead you adopt a “protected species” approach, where no one is allowed to criticise or comment on this.

§ The inability of playing staff and coaching staff to comment on the refereeing leads to us fans getting frustrated, as we have no idea if our club feels the same frustration that we feel as passionate supporters.
§ The fans being frustrated, leads to us fans feeling detached from the sport and consequently going to watch other sports or no sports at all.
· If the loyal fans leave the game, the future generations will not get involved either.
§ Players are left with the ability to only voice their dissatisfaction and frustration on the field, this means that there is increased friction between the players and officials on game day, a loss of trust and respect also follows.

· The randomness at which the judiciary and match review committee assign blame and punishment.
o The same infraction can cost a different player a different amount of weeks, fo no real reason, and yes I understand carry over points etc, that is not what I am talking about. If I really need to elaborate on this point, you truly have your head in the sand.

· Player transfers

· State of Origin
o The jewel in the crown of rugby league – Really….. as much as I get on board with the Origin Hype every year, and cry into my beer as QLD win yet another series. I have had enough of it distracting us from the more important NRL Premiership, which as a diehard Bulldogs fan, I cheer all year in the hope they hold up the premiership. State of Origin is too disruptive to the premiership, and as such, you have turned the NRL premiership into a joke whilst state of origin is on.
§ I believe the plane that Wayne Bennett floated (or similar too) would be an ideal solution to this problem
· Split 2 rounds of NRL
§ This also leads to as minimal as possible impact to the NRL competition whilst still being able to showcase Origin in all its glory (P.S. go NSW).

For now, that will do in relation to my frustrations. I have many more but honestly not enough time to express them.

Kind Regards

good letter mate, but you really expect a response from those clowns?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better to get it off your chest that's the main thing. No one except the person who maintains the email box/opens the letters will see it though.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
SENT...

I added a couple of things

I would really love to give the minutes silence thing a good crack, because if a lot of people who are as frustrated as we are get on board with this, it could start something quite powerful, if you do it, and the person next to you asks why you did that, and you ecplain "I am mourning the inevitable death of the NRL due to mismanagement, and observing a minutes silence", next game, they may just do the same and so on, I do not care if no one else does it, I will protest in silence alone

Endeavour

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
I really like the idea of the minutes silence. Good on you Ecca for writing to them and trying to come up with a plan that other fans can adopt.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Cheers, TBH I am sick of people winging,about it, and threatening to stop watching, Not me, i bleed blue and white, nothing will stop me watching, but I can choose how I represent myself whilst supporting, if there are any members of the Kennel (supporter group at the game not this fantastic froum) who are reading this, if we start with you, as you are the loudest in a stadium full of passionate supporters, your silence will speak volumes.

Cheer like mad until the whistle sounds for kick off, then be silent until 1 minute in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Great letter but sadly it will go in the read later folder

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Great letter but sadly it will go in the read later folder
I know, really the hope is that the Minute of Silence will catch on, and if it does, the NRL has NO excuse to say they weren't aware of what was going on, accountability at all turns,

That being said, in order for that to be effective in any way, people need to focus their anger in regards to the NRL's general ineptitude at running this game, and unite, across clubs to say if this is your best, it is simply not good enough

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
For some reason I just got a craving for a mad club sandwich

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Expect a reply from
Brett

NRL Reception
T: +61 2 9359 8500
F: +61 2 9359 8555
E: reception@nrl.com.au
W: nrl.com

National Rugby League Limited
Rugby League Central
Driver Avenue
Moore Park NSW 2021
Locked Bag 5000, Paddington NSW 2021

~cb.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I expect silence, but I will also get copies of the letter out on social media in the hope of generating a response
Can you copy folks such as Phil, of the Rothfield and Gould varieties, they enjoy a good whinge against NRL administration.
Might garner some traction that way?!

~cb.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't Rothfield banned from reporting on NRL admin, after he gave them an absolute serve a while back about covering up the Kirisoe Au'ava incident??

The NRL don't care.. it's THEIR game no ours (in their eyes).

NRL HQ Summary
John Grant - expert at posing for any camera which appears during an NRL gala ball (with his partner).

Dave Smith - great with money, crap at everything else including management. He's John Grants fall guy.

Todd Greenberg - brought in because Dave Smith didn't have a clue about management. Earmarked as Smith's fall guy, after failing to get him sacked earlier in his career, is now the EX fall guy for Smith. There's no discussions with Todd, it's either his way, or his way.

John Richardson - brought in to assist Todd (whose head was now having issues fitting through the doors of NRL HQ). Now seen as Dave Smith's NEW fall guy, and also sits around all day twiddling his thumbs at NRL HQ thinking up $hit ideas such as "lets pool all junior talent and kill off NYC". Since his appointment the costs of business lunches have increase 300%

Some woman - competely f'n useless, but they needed to employ a female somewhere.

post is for satirical purposes only.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

· Player transfers

· State of Origin
· Split 2 rounds of NRL

Kind Regards

Ive got a short version
Hey nrl stop raping our game you pack of soul soliciting pig fukkers .

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't Rothfield banned from reporting on NRL admin, after he gave them an absolute serve a while back about covering up the Kirisoe Au'ava incident??

The NRL don't care.. it's THEIR game no ours (in their eyes).

NRL HQ Summary
John Grant - expert at posing for any camera which appears during an NRL gala ball (with his partner).

Dave Smith - great with money, crap at everything else including management. He's John Grants fall guy.

Todd Greenberg - brought in because Dave Smith didn't have a clue about management. Earmarked as Smith's fall guy, after failing to get him sacked earlier in his career, is now the EX fall guy for Smith. There's no discussions with Todd, it's either his way, or his way.

John Richardson - brought in to assist Todd (whose head was now having issues fitting through the doors of NRL HQ). Now seen as Dave Smith's NEW fall guy, and also sits around all day twiddling his thumbs at NRL HQ thinking up $hit ideas such as "lets pool all junior talent and kill off NYC". Since his appointment the costs of business lunches have increase 300%

Some woman - competely f'n useless, but they needed to employ a female somewhere.

post is for satirical purposes only.
LOL, you know them so well, Mr. I( are u sure the woman is useless?)

Endeavour

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you mean other fan forums also? It would be good to get a discussion going amonst other clubs of whether the minutes silence is something that would work. One of the great advantages the NRL administration has is that the fan bases hate each other. Look at how many people wanted us to lose points for black Friday game.

Status
Not open for further replies.