News All Stars match in Sydney for the first time on February 12

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Indigenous and Maori men’s and women’s players have welcomed the decision to stage the annual All Stars match in Sydney for the first time on February 12.

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys and NRL CEO Andrew Abdo announced on Tuesday that Sydney would create history by hosting the NRL Harvey Norman All Stars clash at CommBank Stadium for the first time since the concept’s inception in 2010.

The match will open the biggest season in the game’s history, with two NRLW competitions, the Telstra Premiership, State of Origin and the 2020 World Cup in England.

“It’s no coincidence that our season kicks off with the Harvey Norman All Stars,” V’landys said. “You can’t imagine our game without the influence of Indigenous and Maori cultures and the leadership role our players have in the community.

“We’re delighted that Sydney will have the opportunity to host these games for the first time. The All Stars features some of the most exciting men and women in the NRL and NRLW competitions and I know the event is one of the highlights of their season.”

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the event would benefit communities in Sydney enormously.

“The event brings communities and cultures together and helps celebrate First Nations people as well as rugby league’s authentic and powerful diversity.

“The 2022 NRL Harvey Norman All Stars will feature the women’s and men’s Indigenous and Maori teams, along with the Indigenous and Maori touch football teams.”

South Sydney playmaker Cody Walker said he was excited by the opportunity to represent the Indigenous All Stars in Sydney.

“I think it makes sense to bring it to Sydney,” Walker said. “I have enjoyed every All Stars I have been a part of, and I am looking forward to the week.”

Penrith prop James Fisher-Harris said he was looking forward to pulling on a Maori jersey in front of his family and fans from western Sydney.

“There is a strong Maori population out west so I am sure they will come to watch the game and it is good for my family also,” Fisher-Harris said. “I am sure this game is going to get bigger and bigger.”

Australian Rugby League Indigenous Council Chair Katrina Fanning said: “All 10 All Stars contests have educated, improved awareness and overall built bridges between communities.

Maori All Star James Fisher-Harris was man of the match in last year's clash in Townsville.

“It has had an incredibly important impact in regional communities but it has also shown its power in our cities including Brisbane and Melbourne. Now Sydney has the chance to experience the life-changing abilities of the All Stars concept.”

NSW Minister for Tourism and Western Sydney Stuart Ayres said the fixture would give sports fans an exciting event to look forward to in February 2022.

“The NRL All Stars pre-season showcase is a wonderful celebration of rugby league and indigenous and Maori culture,” Mr Ayres said.

“As an avid NRL fan I am delighted that Sydney will kick-off the 2022 rugby league season with the NRL All Stars fixture and welcome fans from around the country to CommBank Stadium.

“Sydney and NSW continues to secure significant sporting events that resonate with the community by providing entertainment and inspiration, while also playing a vital role in driving our visitor economy.”

Harvey Norman Chief Executive Katie Page added: “Harvey Norman have been the proudest supporter of the NRL Indigenous All Stars since its inception, 11 years ago. Anyone who has ever watched the NRL Indigenous All Stars game live will know and tell you the atmosphere rivals State of Origin and Finals for passion, pride and talent on display. Now it is Sydney’s turn to celebrate the brilliance of the men and women of the NRL Indigenous and Maori communities, so save the date.”

Tickets will be on sale tomorrow (Wednesday, December 1), beginning with Parramatta Eels Members at 9am (AEDT), all other NRL Club Members at 9.30am (AEDT), NRL Account Holders at 10am (AEDT) and General Public at 2pm (AEDT).

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which Bulldogs are likely make the squads? JAC, Naden, JMK, Topine maybe

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Hope they give BBO a go off the bench then at half

There team is stacked in the backs

1.Latrell Mitchell (Suspension) ? / Nicho Hynes ? Reece Walsh ?

Josh Addo Carr
Hamiso Tabuai Fidow / Brent Naden / Dane Gagai?
Jesse Ramien / Kotoni Staggs (Injured) ?
Alex Johnston /Jason Saab ?
Cody Walker
Jack Whighton ? / Jamal Fogarty
Ryan James
Reuben Cotter
Jamayne Taunoa Brown
Josh Curran
Wade Graham
Tyrone Peachy

Bailey Biondi Odo
Chris Smith
Adam Elliott
Selwyn Cobbo

18.Jayden Campbell
19.Daine Laurie
20.Jack Bird
21.Conner Watson

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should scrap this fixture all together. I'd much rather see a mid season NZ Origin between the North and South Islands.
probably better for it to be Auckland vs the rest

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They should scrap this fixture all together. I'd much rather see a mid season NZ Origin between the North and South Islands.
Can’t do that need to tick off all the cards

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOLLLLL it’s hard enough watching the Warriors play week in week out let alone a game between the two islands made up of has-beens and park footballers.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
LOLLLLL it’s hard enough watching the Warriors play week in week out let alone a game between the two islands made up of has-beens and park footballers.
Why would it be hasbeens and park footballers? Get the best Kiwi players in the comp from the North and South islands.

Supposedly they did this in Rugby last year because the All-Blacks couldn't play Test matches and it was a huge success.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't watch it, see enough of them week in week out.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The All Stars game just pisses me off. Clubs pay big money for their key players and any team that loses a player to injury for the benefit of the NRL making a bit of extra coin shouldn't have to be in the situation. Even if they get a cap exemption to add a cover player, it's usually a player below the level of quality they've lost.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
How’s it the all stars when only those of specific heritage can be selected ? Why not have a real allstars made up of players from teams from Sydney vs outside of Sydney .. yeah yeah it’s origin sorta but this is a rubbish concept

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How’s it the all stars when only those of specific heritage can be selected ? Why not have a real allstars made up of players from teams from Sydney vs outside of Sydney .. yeah yeah it’s origin sorta but this is a rubbish concept
Strongly suggest that you don’t say that to the players.

Always a Bulldog

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The nrlol is a rubbish concept.

We need a professional league.