Aiden Tolman

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The stats only tell part of the story. He is such a good read of the game, he seems to know where to be, and he backs that up with a big engine and a lot of hard work that doesn't get attention. Two examples from yesterdays game.

1. He is the first guy there ready to defend when Meaney stops Bradman Best's run down the sideline.
2. With a little under 6 minutes to go Newcastle on attack spread it wide to their right, and you can see we are outnumbered as each of our defenders commits, edge forward, Foran, centre, winger. Meaney is the last line of defense against their winger and he doesn't nail him. If Tolman doesn't pop up right then their winger has a clear run for the line, but he is there and the winger ends up going back infield, the play is shut down by Holland centre field. Newcastle immediately send it left but in their effort to break through they lose the ball, who is right there when the ball is lost, ready to defend if the ball isn't lost? Tolman. The guy was covering to within 5 metres of each sideline within the space of two plays.

Encouragingly the guy who was inside Tolman in cover defense down the right with 6 minutes to go was Thompson. If he has got similar footy instincts as Tolman he is going to a key player for seasons to come.

Unfortunately Tolman is past his best, but even then he is a good first grader, and he doesn't get enough credit for the work he does that doesn't attract attention. Sure he scored a try and did a handy offload to Foran and ran 200m yesterday, hence he is getting attention today. But the true mark of how valuable a player is comes from the players who line up next to them. I'll bet his teammates wouldn't mind having him around for another season or two.
Every team needs a Tolman in their pack, he is constantly covering for our defensive inadequacies and is more often than not one of the first players back to take a hitup after a kick while our other forwards are walking back onside.

Yes he gets in the way in the oppositions 20 (our halves and hooker need to control this) and doesn't bend the line but he can play 80 minutes with minimal mistakes. As PD mentioned above, he's the sort of no nonsense player most players love playing with.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
First line break since 2015 the coverage said. I will just leave that here.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Every team needs a Tolman in their pack, he is constantly covering for our defensive inadequacies and is more often than not one of the first players back to take a hitup after a kick while our other forwards are walking back onside.

Yes he gets in the way in the oppositions 20 (our halves and hooker need to control this) and doesn't bend the line but he can play 80 minutes with minimal mistakes. As PD mentioned above, he's the sort of no nonsense player most players love playing with.
Alright ms Tolman

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of blokes bag him on here, but he's always putting in. I wouldn't have any qualms if he was resigned for another 12 months.

I think he has a far greater impact on and off the field than people realise.

Admittedly, he shouldn't get the ball on the fourth but going off yesterday maybe we should be giving it to him on the fifth!

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He reminds me of Paul Gallen when he was getting the ball all the fucken time.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny how alot of players playing better now

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that as a general policy the concept of keeping some of your older "glue" or "statesman" players around is a key part of how clubs like Chooks and Storm have been able to maintain their presence as consistently good teams who are top 4 contenders almost every season. They've found the right mix between doing that and bringing on board new blood. Bonkos realised their mistake too late, they've brought in Teo and Luke to try and make up for it, but you can't easily replace those seasoned clubmen that are almost like part of the woodwork they've been there so long.

But a greatly reduced contract is a must.
So true. Id keep him around, but begin phasing him out, an eventually have him play off the bnch.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The type of player you need in those atrocious conditions when the ruck is slow

I hope Des takes him seeing he stated that Tolman was statistically the best prop

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d resign him and keep him as a interchange forward for the middle third in games and as for the myth napa he needs to go never how fucking soft he is He is a skirt

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We used to have the best players, other teams poached from us and we were the envy and benchmark.

Now we pat players on the back for doing what they should or for a good game, how times have changed.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great clubman,and puts in every week,but I wouldn’t be resigning him,unless it was a bargain basement buy,let’s not forget Newcastle were dreadful yesterday

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman does a lot of good things but i rather the club play Jackson in the middle - he will worj just as hard but add a little to the middle attack and allow a genuine wide running forward to play on the edge
Im not so sure a couple of times yesterday Jacko didnt even bother to chase!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not so sure a couple of times yesterday Jacko didnt even bother to chase!
Not making excuses for Jacko but I feel he is not 100%,
Perhaps carrying some niggling injuries
Barrett will need to manage him a bit better the next 3 years.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Contract renewal year- has his best game ha but he can play a role with a smart coach like barrett

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Still gets in the way and doesn’t offer what we need
Correct, he’s been good for us over the years, no one is taking that away a from him etc, but he needs to move on now..!!

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Auditioning for his newcastle retirement fund if you ask me lmao, hope he gets it ey

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First line break since 2015 the coverage said. I will just leave that here.
Whoever missed him on that tackle needs the year off to work on his defence and reaction time.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Correct, he’s been good for us over the years, no one is taking that away a from him etc, but he needs to move on now..!!
Yes. Clearly he's done good by us, but it really is the best for all that we go our seperate ways.

I hope he gets a good Super League deal personally.