Aiden Tolman

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Played well. But at the end of the day it’s till time for him to go. So many calling for it an bagging him , one game doesn’t change that.!!!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He played well but he's just not good enough for NRL every week. We need more props who can bend the line and put us on the front foot. Sick of seeing him getting tackled centre metres from the last play the ball. We need a modern line bending prop with footwork.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I disagree that it is time for Tolman to go. For the right price he is a great squad player. Probably also qualifies for salary cap exemptions for long term players. But i agree we need an alpha prop for next year.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd still keep Tolman over Napa...as long as he doesn't touch the ball after tackle 3.
Napa should be so much better but for us he has been 'ok' some weeks at best
I know I'm not a 1st grade front rower and he must get some hits but for his size he is ineffective consistently sadly...but was ok again yesterday except for the pathetic attempt to tackle Best in the early minutes..just woeful attempt

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I disagree that it is time for Tolman to go. For the right price he is a great squad player. Probably also qualifies for salary cap exemptions for long term players. But i agree we need an alpha prop for next year.
We can use the veteran allowance on another player, e.g. Jackson. AFAIK you only get 200k on top of the cap to use on veterans (you can use all on one player or spread it out).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd still keep Tolman over Napa...as long as he doesn't touch the ball after tackle 3.
Napa should be so much better but for us he has been 'ok' some weeks at best
I know I'm not a 1st grade front rower and he must get some hits but for his size he is ineffective consistently sadly...but was ok again yesterday except for the pathetic attempt to tackle Best in the early minutes..just woeful attempt
We don't get a choice of picking. Napa is on contract for another year and I doubt someone would take him off our hands unless we pay half his wages. I rate Tolman over Napa too. I think the game has moved past both of them now tho.

Reactions: DT

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would let him go. It’s unfortunate but time is catching up with him. If we could get him for a second tier type contract to play reserve grade maybe. Thought I’d teach the young fellas comming through. But he did well yesterday. However most games he struggles and keep him away from the ball on the 4 tackle. Like Alexander said better to put a kick in throw the defence off

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The stats only tell part of the story. He is such a good read of the game, he seems to know where to be, and he backs that up with a big engine and a lot of hard work that doesn't get attention. Two examples from yesterdays game.

1. He is the first guy there ready to defend when Meaney stops Bradman Best's run down the sideline.
2. With a little under 6 minutes to go Newcastle on attack spread it wide to their right, and you can see we are outnumbered as each of our defenders commits, edge forward, Foran, centre, winger. Meaney is the last line of defense against their winger and he doesn't nail him. If Tolman doesn't pop up right then their winger has a clear run for the line, but he is there and the winger ends up going back infield, the play is shut down by Holland centre field. Newcastle immediately send it left but in their effort to break through they lose the ball, who is right there when the ball is lost, ready to defend if the ball isn't lost? Tolman. The guy was covering to within 5 metres of each sideline within the space of two plays.

Encouragingly the guy who was inside Tolman in cover defense down the right with 6 minutes to go was Thompson. If he has got similar footy instincts as Tolman he is going to a key player for seasons to come.

Unfortunately Tolman is past his best, but even then he is a good first grader, and he doesn't get enough credit for the work he does that doesn't attract attention. Sure he scored a try and did a handy offload to Foran and ran 200m yesterday, hence he is getting attention today. But the true mark of how valuable a player is comes from the players who line up next to them. I'll bet his teammates wouldn't mind having him around for another season or two.
He definitely doesn't get the credit he deserves. Granted, he is not going to get any better, and it will slowly head down hill from here for him, but he has long been a massive contributer to our team. I think we would be playing more like the broncos without him this year. The guy is also never injured and plays big minutes, so at a basement rice he is very good value. But at his current inflated back end deal price, which is not his fault, he is not value for money.
I honestly wouldn't mind if we offered him a massively reduced contract for next year. With the addition of a few new quality signings we will still need some of the glue that holds this team together. Players like Tolman, Jackson, Elliot etc. A completely new team will struggle for consistency and will take time to gel, but if we keep a few of our older statesman around in a reduced capacity we will be better for it.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He definitely doesn't get the credit he deserves. Granted, he is not going to get any better, and it will slowly head down hill from here for him, but he has long been a massive contributer to our team. I think we would be playing more like the broncos without him this year. The guy is also never injured and plays big minutes, so at a basement rice he is very good value. But at his current inflated back end deal price, which is not his fault, he is not value for money.
I honestly wouldn't mind if we offered him a massively reduced contract for next year. With the addition of a few new quality signings we will still need some of the glue that holds this team together. Players like Tolman, Jackson, Elliot etc. A completely new team will struggle for consistency and will take time to gel, but if we keep a few of our older statesman around in a reduced capacity we will be better for it.
Also, keep in mind that as a general policy the concept of keeping some of your older "glue" or "statesman" players around is a key part of how clubs like Chooks and Storm have been able to maintain their presence as consistently good teams who are top 4 contenders almost every season. They've found the right mix between doing that and bringing on board new blood. Bonkos realised their mistake too late, they've brought in Teo and Luke to try and make up for it, but you can't easily replace those seasoned clubmen that are almost like part of the woodwork they've been there so long.

But a greatly reduced contract is a must.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would be perfect for the Broncos. Would bring experience and leadership and would help them a lot defensively.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tolman has to go, same as Elliott. Club needs to head in a different direction and we can't keep re-signing these blokes. Jackson on 700k should pretty much prevent any sort of discussion even taking place with these two.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We can use the veteran allowance on another player, e.g. Jackson. AFAIK you only get 200k on top of the cap to use on veterans (you can use all on one player or spread it out).
allowance just gets added to the total cap
its very likely just split amongst everyone and not a major factor

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Actually Elliott on around 350k on an edge wouldn't be the worst.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah he played well. But he gets in the way in the 20m red zone. Should run decoys and that’s it. Hope he doesn’t get re-signed. We need a big aggressive **** that just runs straight and hard.

I’m suprised Des hasn’t signed him yet. He told Willie Mason Tolman was the best prop in the game.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a plodder. The wet track suits him. I'll give it to him, he played well enough but on a dry track 95% of the time he is off the pace.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone notice how he steadied the ship when he came on against the Knights.
Woefully under rated.