After watching today's trial game, who's in your 17?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he's being used incorrectly. He had his best season playing outside a fit Foran. Flanagan never engages the line, and throws him hospital balls where he's charging into 2-3 defenders. If he had a creative half alongside him that could manipulate the D, he would average 12-16 trys a season.
As we don't seem to have that option what's plan B in your opinion?

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. JAC
2. Alamoti
3. Kiraz
4. Perham
5. Skelton
6. Burton( if he pinky promises to have a go)
7. Craig Polla Mounter
8. Max King
9. Mudhoney
10. Thompson
11. Ray Mariner
12. Kikau
13. Sutton
14. Oloapu
15. TPJ
16. Bill S Preston Esquire
17. Davey
Polly at 7 would more than likely be better than what we have now, but I haven't seen him since I moved to Townsville 20 years ago

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't think we can read too much into the trial games. Expectations too high. Last week we won well and we had a reserve grade side in people were making big predictions. This week we lose with our top side and now we are doomed. Not sure the players were fully committed and putting their bodies on the line like a proper game for competition points.

We still have some positions to sort as we are still developing as a team. So long as they give 100% in round 1 we will see a much more competitive side. Even if we lose so long as they give their best we should see a big improvement. We are still building and I don't expect that we will be a complete side that dominates this year, at least not consistently.

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We still have some positions to sort as we are still developing as a team. So long as they give 100% in round 1 we will see a much more competitive side. Even if we lose so long as they give their best we should see a big improvement.
This.. I am much more worried about the sudden drop off in commitment when it looks like we might lose a game, its loser mentality and hopefully the 1st thing CC reverses.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Polly at 7 would more than likely be better than what we have now, but I haven't seen him since I moved to Townsville 20 years ago
I couldn’t bring myself to put Averillo at 7 and seeing Flanagan listed at halfback makes me lose hope. BBO has shown some spark but ACL’s are major injuries. I understand Polly has been out of the game for a while but maybe one of those train and trial contracts and see if he can impress the coach.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I just want to see the guys who try to make things happen rewarded, and knowing what Ciraldo is like I think that will be the case.. it was disappointing watching Sharks dominate us, even if they are a contender, but it may just be a blessing in disguise.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Averillo in at 1. Waddell out. Josh Reynolds a must for 14. Nu brown 18. Skeleton in the centres or wing. The rest pick themselves.

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barring a massive injury toll, Flanagan must not see first grade again at this great club.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to see the guys who try to make things happen rewarded, and knowing what Ciraldo is like I think that will be the case.. it was disappointing watching Sharks dominate us, even if they are a contender, but it may just be a blessing in disguise.
their outside backs and halfback killed us

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Their spine far too superior off the back of a commanding pack
they dominated us in the forwards and on the edges. Obviously Kikau is a loss, but I just hope Ciraldo picks the strongest blokes on the edges... Burns might not always make the best decisions, but I'd take him over Avo just because he doesn't get manhandled.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Alright today is like post ejaculation. I can start to see things more clearly after yesterday disappointment.

I reckon we were expecting the team to Gel straight away but it's going to take some time.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Burns
2. Kiraz
3. Skelton
4. Alamoti
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Reynolds/Brown
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Thompson
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Sutton

14. Brown/Reynolds
15. Davey/Topine/Patolo
16. Mariner
17. Pele
18. Davey/Topine/Patolo

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My amended top 17

1. Avo
2. JAC
3. Alamoti
4. Kiraz
5. Skelton (can swap with Kiraz if preferred. Either way I want Skelton in the team)
6. Burton (still our most naturally gifted player)
7. Grub (can’t be any worse than Flan and at least wears his blue and white heart on his sleeve)
8. King
9. Money
10. TPJ
11. Kiks
12. Preston
13. Thommo

14. Brown
15. RFM
16. Sutton
17. Pele

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Barring a massive injury toll, Flanagan must not see first grade again at this great club.
I reckon that he will be the only player to play all 25(?) games this year - why doesn't he ever get injured or sick or COVID or something, he needs to spend more time hanging out with TPJ!

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averilo is shit end of no matter where you put him shouldn’t never ever b in our top 30