After watching today's trial game, who's in your 17?

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Move Reynolds starting 7 punt Flappo move RFM to the bench let young Preston’s start there or RFM starting prop with King TPJ in pact of the bench punt Averilo all together not sure who to put there

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
worth a crack:

1. Burns
2. Kiraz
3. Alamoti
4. Skelton
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Reynolds
8. TPJ
9. Mahoney
10. Thompson
11. Kikau
12. RFM
13. Preston

14. Brown
15. King
16. Sutton
17. Pele

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grub is a bit predictable, in his left step, yet still threatened the line. He helped set up and scored a try. His enthusiasm is unmatched and as crazy at it sounds, I reckon he’s our best option at 7 currently. The way he played the other day was as good as he did when he last wore the jersey, which while not excellent compared to other halves, is still impressive considering his injuries, his age and form over the last 5 years. No wonder he earned a top 30 contract.

I don’t get the Avo hate tbh. He was more than serviceable as fullback last season. It makes no sense to take that away from him when he can still improve in that position with more game time.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One thing that should happen is Brown as the 14. Just incase we need that extra spark at the end of the game. His burrowing ability from dummy half is second to none. Also he can play the Brandon Smith type of role like the storm did last year (fair enough to a much lower level of class)

That leaves Reynolds without a role (and I am a big reynolds fan and was hoping he would take the number 14 jersey)...... Burton is a lock at 6 probably besides origin games, and I doubt flanno doesnt start at 7, even for a few weeks and even then, Reynolds sideways running wouldnt be suited to a halfback either....... 1 and 7 will be our weakness if we miss out on an 8th spot. The rest of the squad looks ok, with decent adequate depth. But we are serverley underskilled in those 2 positions more then others. I think Averillo, Alamoti, Skelton, Burns, Okunbor can cover all positions in the backline, but our starting/back up half leaves a lot to be desired.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think if Reynolds can just play the simple role of being a ball distributor without trying to step inside against the grain, he'll be more of an asset to the team than Flanno.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Grub is a bit predictable, in his left step, yet still threatened the line. He helped set up and scored a try. His enthusiasm is unmatched and as crazy at it sounds, I reckon he’s our best option at 7 currently. The way he played the other day was as good as he did when he last wore the jersey, which while not excellent compared to other halves, is still impressive considering his injuries, his age and form over the last 5 years. No wonder he earned a top 30 contract.

I don’t get the Avo hate tbh. He was more than serviceable as fullback last season. It makes no sense to take that away from him when he can still improve in that position with more game time.
Reynolds is great for a 20 min stint. His brain gets as tired as his ageing body does and that's when the stupidity and dumb decisions creep in.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reynolds is great for a 20 min stint. His brain gets as tired as his ageing body does and that's when the stupidity and dumb decisions creep in.
I think he is okay for a 10-15 minute cameo off the bench each half. But I still think Brown is my preferred 14.

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You are so right, I remember when Reynolds played Origin he made up his mind to pass the ball but there was no support, he looked, but he still passed the ball to nobody. The commentators were mystified but keen Dogs supporters knew that was just Josh, rocks & diamonds.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I couldn’t bring myself to put Averillo at 7 and seeing Flanagan listed at halfback makes me lose hope. BBO has shown some spark but ACL’s are major injuries. I understand Polly has been out of the game for a while but maybe one of those train and trial contracts and see if he can impress the coach.
Train & Trial! I think the last time Polly pulled a dogs jumper on was 2004. I think he will stick to plumbing.