After watching today's trial game, who's in your 17?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not certain about this love for Nu Brown. Been with three clubs without making an impact. Tigers did not keep him although they have shortage of class hookers. No preseason. Plus Mohoney is a 80 minutes player & you want him on the field for as long as possible.
Reynolds should either be at 7 or in NSW cup mentoring our crop of potentials HB / 5/8. Yes there may be occasions when Moheney is injured, but should go into the game with a plan B.
It's not love for Brown, it's just the reality that he's capable of playing multiple positions and in the era of HIA's that's valuable.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not certain about this love for Nu Brown. Been with three clubs without making an impact. Tigers did not keep him although they have shortage of class hookers. No preseason. Plus Mohoney is a 80 minutes player & you want him on the field for as long as possible.
Reynolds should either be at 7 or in NSW cup mentoring our crop of potentials HB / 5/8. Yes there may be occasions when Moheney is injured, but should go into the game with a plan B.
Fuck him. I remember that No Try in the first game against the tigpies last year which the ref awarded.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd pick both Topine and Reynolds ahead of Nu Brown.
They both inject energy off the bench.
As well as being better all round players actually.
Mahoney does not need a back up every week.
Say, he had one for 27 games - how many games will he not last 80 minutes and Reynolds or Topine, or even Flanagan/Oloapu won't be good enough to go to DH?
1, 2, 3?
Don't see the point.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd pick both Topine and Reynolds ahead of Nu Brown.
* Topine is an 80min player with some positional versatility if you really need it. Best position is right-edge (where his lateral movement is important in defence) but could also do the Lock job, & at a pinch cover hooker or centre if needed. Goes all day. Enthusiasm & Effort player. Gets the unheralded stuff done - we need a player in this role.
* Reynolds is a good fit for 14 these days & the energy/leadership is something you can leverage without the need for big minutes.
* Brown, to me is actually a good fit for 18th man. Doesn't really need to develop at this stage of his career, so won't be affected by lack of game time. Would come on only if we lose a player, and can cover a number of positions. Experienced enough to come on & fit in wherever & get us out of a jam if fortune is not going our way.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
* Topine is an 80min player with some positional versatility if you really need it. Best position is right-edge (where his lateral movement is important in defence) but could also do the Lock job, & at a pinch cover hooker or centre if needed. Goes all day. Enthusiasm & Effort player. Gets the unheralded stuff done - we need a player in this role.
* Reynolds is a good fit for 14 these days & the energy/leadership is something you can leverage without the need for big minutes.
* Brown, to me is actually a good fit for 18th man. Doesn't really need to develop at this stage of his career, so won't be affected by lack of game time. Would come on only if we lose a player, and can cover a number of positions. Experienced enough to come on & fit in wherever & get us out of a jam if fortune is not going our way.
The perfect bench would obviously be the 2 interchange props, but then a forward (second row/lock style) that can play hooker and an outside back that can cover 1-7. Mahoney plays 80 most weeks and you need cover for inevitable HIA's. If you go with Brown we end up not using him most weeks or he's playing a lock role which isn't optimal imo. It'll be fine (even tho not my pick) just better options in theory imo.

Last edited:

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The perfect bench would obviously be the 2 interchange props, but then a forward (second row/lock style) that can play hooker and an outside back that can cover 1-7. Mahoney plays 80 most weeks and you need cover for inevitable HIA's. If you go with Brown we end up not using him most weeks or he's playing a lock role which isn't optimal imo. It'll be fine (even tho not my pick) just better options in theory imo.
For the prop rotation, I'd start with King & TPJ, with Thompson & Sutton for interchange (maybe Pele at some stage depending on how things go).
Kikau picks himself on the left, but for the right, lock, & bench I would go RFM, Preston, & Topine (any combo - will probably change as the season goes on anyway).
And then Reynolds for 14.
I think that overall combo gives plenty of flexibility to deal with any curve balls thrown throughout the game.

Notable omissions. Davey & Waddell.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
01. Jacob Kiraz
02. Jeral Skelton
03. Jackson Topine
04. Paul Alamoti
05. Josh Addo-Carr
06. Matt Burton
07. Josh Reynolds
08. Max King
09. Reed Mahoney
10. Tevita Pangai Junior
11. Viliame Kikau
12. Jacob Preston
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Fa'amanu Brown
15. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
16. Luke Thompson
17. Franklin Pele

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1. Averillo
2. JAC
3. Alamoti
4. Skelton
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Reynolds
8. TPJ
9. Mahoney
10. Sutton
11. Kikau
12. RFM
13. King

14. Perham
15. Thompson
16. Pele
17. Topine

I like Preston but I think that bench is better coverage.

I gave Ciraldo benefit of the doubt with Perham but going back to my original line-up.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh please kiraz is badly out of form needs a reality check in reggies
01. Jacob Kiraz
02. Jeral Skelton
03. Jackson Topine
04. Paul Alamoti
05. Josh Addo-Carr
06. Matt Burton
07. Josh Reynolds
08. Max King