Status
Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Affleck 'amazed' by racist Australia
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

March 05, 2008 03:46pm

OSCAR-nominated actor Casey Affleck says he was 'amazed' by the racism he saw in Australia on a visit - and that he was inspired to do something about it.

"We drove from Sydney out to Alice Springs and kind of all around the outback, and I was amazed at how much it was like the old wild west in America," Mr Affleck said.

"This was just in the 1990s, and there was little wooden signs nailed to the trees on the outside of town that would say 'Abo's go around' and I just couldn't believe that kind of stuff still existed."

Affleck did not name the town which he was referring to, but did say that plight of Australian Aborigines inspired him to raise awareness of struggling indigenous cultures in a new television series called 4 Real, he said.

Do you agree with Affleck's comments? Vote now.

Affleck visits the Pawnee Nation reservation in Oklahoma in the series, and says he saw parallels between the challenges faced by Native Americans and indigenous Australians.

Affleck, who was nominated for an Academy Award for The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, by Australian director Andrew Dominik, said things were improving in both in Australia and the US, but more needed to be done.

"I know that (in Australia) you've got the dual names for the national parks, like Ayers Rock is called Uluru, and finally some of the Aboriginal heritage is being recognised and I think that's great," he said.

"And in very, very, very small steps the same thing is happening here for the Native Americans.

"But I think it's largely due to the fact of their own resourcefulness and determination and their character, and not because of the goodness of our collective heart."

The 32-year-old, whose brother is actor Ben Affleck, said he signed up to 4 Real to help turn the spotlight on some neglected communities.

Series producer Josh Thome said they were considering filming an episode in Australia in the second series.

M

MikeyP..

I agree with him, and yet i disagree with him. I agree with him to the extent that racism is alive in australia. But wtf is going on with him labelling Australia, as a nation, racist? maybe it was Telecrap that made it seem that he was implying that, but still.

ohh well, another struggling actor looking for money.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He's not wrong...

But you have your racist scum in every country. Not like America is any better

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
He's not wrong...

But you have your racist scum in every country. Not like America is any better
thank you

I am sick of everyone trying to label Australia as bad racists
doesnt matter where you go

ask MissK about racism in England
she lived there for awhile

I know poms and they said racism in their country is disgraceful
why do you think most pommy women are against racists?

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wait and there isnt White Power extremists in America? Please

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
lol racism. Thats a word thats tossed around far to often for my liking.

Just Me

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Racism exits everywhere.

I was appalled at the racism when I was living in the UK - it was really really bad.

Affleck should take a look at his own country - perhaps he needs to be directed to the Landover Baptist site?

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
imo Casey implied America was just as bad if not worse, did you all read the whole article?

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Racism exits everywhere.

I was appalled at the racism when I was living in the UK - it was really really bad.

Affleck should take a look at his own country - perhaps he needs to be directed to the Landover Baptist site?

LOL thats a fake site

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
nobody ever does, they love to jump to conclusions

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Rubbish article IMO. Actor celebrity says something and everyone listens because they are rich.

Saying "you are racist here in australia" is a negative comment. It does nothing to resolve an issue or further a cause, it just points a finger and lays blame.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
...these US nobs are the biggest racist bstrds in the world...I don't think they learn a fkn thing about anyone elses culture at all....I think Affleck should maybe help the people in Mississippi before he worries about anything here in Aus...

wogdog

Boards Don't Hit Back!
Reaction score
seriously i think some of these people that claim australia is a racist country shouldn't be so touchy on the damn thing.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
umm, excuse ym ignornace but who in the f*ck is casey affleck? whats he done to be considered famous apart from live off *** afflecks last name?

D

D0ggyStylz

I never knew that bloke was an affleck.
Totally lost respect for him now

Status
Not open for further replies.