Opinion A quick review of our recruitment since we started rebuilding

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing the OP seems to have disregarded in the opening post is that at the start of the rebuild we had bugger all to spend. The chances of us picking up a lot of quality at that point was slim. So context needs to be applied.

I thought Cogger and Meaney along with CHN and Napa were good signings considering our cap was in a very poor state in 2019. The following year wasn't much easier with few funds. Coming into this year I think that Cotric was a good signing and both Allen and Flanagan were both last minute signings when the bulk of talent was already taken up earlier.

The true test comes with what we're able to bring in leading into next year. I honestly have no idea what we've got left to spend and it kind of annoys me that a few people get into arguments about that. It's not even possible to make semi educated guesses because even reporters that have suggested what we've been paying our off contract players have no idea. All we can do at this point is hope that we've got enough money to bring in a few more players that will make a significant difference to our fortunes. JAC, Naden and Burton should all add some quality.

All along with this rebuild we've been given the honest information that our cap was in a mess until we were able to hit the market this year. Now we just have to strap ourselves in to the emotional roller coaster of supporting the team and hope that we enjoy the ride ahead.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Added Ava but not Dietz as he's not in the top 30.

Fixed

I cant go through players not signed for top 30 as that information is very hard to obtain.
It doesn’t matter mate. They have both been recruited and both played first grade so far so you would factor them in if you were assessing recruitment. I think both have been handy value for money additions.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
That's a quick review? Shit! Must've taken hours of researching to have dug up some of those signings.

Who the fuck is Yileen Gorgon? And Goodwin was a good signing? He a relative of Luke? Fucking loved Luke ... as shit as he was.
Yileen had so much potential as a young player but issues off the field always hampered his progress.

Bryce Goodwin and Luke Goodwin are brothers.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yileen had so much potential as a young player but issues off the field always hampered his progress.

Fuck. I was taking the piss out of them being brothers! Fuck me. There you go!

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm not saying he's ready now or will play to start next year. I agree he needs to play Flegg and Reserves first... But he'll be at the very least one of the development players eligible to be called up next season and Baz seems to have a big opinion of him so if he has a big offseason, we could see him at some stage next season.
Can’t see him pushing Naden and Allen out next year unless there are injuries. I also think schoup will be ready before alamotti. I’ll be happy if alamotti plays flegg this year and reserves next. Don’t rush the kid into a team that hadn’t gelled yet. Can’t help thinking avarillo doorey topine and dietz would all be playing better if we had a team that was firing and our processes were well established.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Was Barba recruited or did he come up through the juniors ?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

If you truly want to remodel our recruitment system, ditch the young player model, ditch the old overpriced model
Simply go down to any park in lake bay, Bankstown, Burwoood, Greenacre on a Sunday afternoon.
You’ll find Lebanese players having fun playing social rugby league, and the talent that abounds will be like sunken treasures in the Kadisha Valley.

you’ll see hookers that pass so crisp and flat, and run when they want too, like Elias and Farah before us. You’ll never see such clean pinpoint passes and ability.
youll see monster forwards running with the fire of Tripoli in their eyes. Their bodies will slam into each other, defence on attack, like the water hitting the surface in the baatara waterfall, like Twal and Mannah used to do.

you’ll see creative halves like Moses, who take on the line, throw dummies, kick and chase and engage defenders, with the creative skills of Saloua Raouda Choucair inspired in the valley of Byblos

Of course, you’ll have to deal with some overt aggression and no doubt a lot of criminal records. A lot. But you’ll get some amazing unharnessed talent that could be cultivated with the right coach who understands them.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can’t see him pushing Naden and Allen out next year unless there are injuries. I also think schoup will be ready before alamotti. I’ll be happy if alamotti plays flegg this year and reserves next. Don’t rush the kid into a team that hadn’t gelled yet. Can’t help thinking avarillo doorey topine and dietz would all be playing better if we had a team that was firing and our processes were well established.
Allan might push himself out of the team or the club the way he's playing. I can't recall him beating his man once in eight games so far. He's so slow and lethargic he makes Hoppa look like Addo-Carr... Schoupp might be a chance but it depends on if he gets a chance this year or how he goes over the offseason.

For sure, it would be easier for the younger guys if there was a better team around them, but then again if the team was stronger they might not be getting as many opportunities.

Malla

Reaction score
2008/9 was not really a rebuild.. We signed the best available players on the market and it just so happened that there was an exodus of players from Broncs that we took advantage of. They did not hang around long tho -
Brett Kimmorley - Gone 2011
Ben Hannant - Gone 2011
David Stagg - Gone 2012?
Michael Ennis - 2015
Josh Morris - 2017
Michael Hodgson - 2011
Yileen Gordon - 2011
Greg Eastwood - Left and came back but second stint was trash
Bryson Goodwin - 2012?

I wouldn't consider that a rebuild.

This is probably the first true rebuild we have had in a while.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Quick point that the rebuild of 08/09 was very different to what has been happening over the last 3-4 seasons, with at least two major reasons for pointing this out.

1. Salary cap situation. It is invalid to compare rebuilds for this reason alone. It is completely obvious that guys like Clay Priest were brought in 100% because of the way the club decided to deal with the salary cap issues left by Dib and Des.

2. Attractiveness. The club in 08/09 was only a few years post the 04 premiership, loads of TV time, and despite the loss of SBW et al, had a much bigger reputation at the time. Right now our reputation is the worst it has been in the living memory of most of its fans. There is no way it could attract in one season the calibre of players it did in 08/09.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2021/22 signings
JAC
Naden
Allan
Cotric
Burton
Flanagan
Thompson (20, but pretty much a new signing this year)
Hetherington
Waddell

+Quality hooker (Smith hopefully)
+Quality prop (Rudolf?)

Not too bad.
Yeah, we only need to add a couple more quality players in those 2 positions for our recruitment to be very good.

I didn't expect much from the '21 signings, except possibly Cotric and, while they've all been underwhelming, they were players I hoped would step up, rather than having any great confidence they would. Signings for '22 are much different - I know all 3 (so far) will step up cause they are all genuine quality.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
During rebuilds, it's critical you nail your recruitment. Barely any of our signings since we announced we were rebuilding have hit. I'll give a quick overview of what I mean.

Players signed for 2019 1/7
Jack Cogger (Knights) Miss/No longer here
Nick Meaney (Knights) Decent squad player
Christian Crichton (Panthers) Miss
Sauaso Sue (Wests Tigers) Miss/NLH
Corey Harawira-Naera (Panthers) Miss/NLH
Chris Smith (Roosters) Reserve grader
Dylan Napa (Roosters) Overpaid/Unnecessary signing

Players signed for 2020 0.5/4
Joe Stimson (Storm) Miss
Dean Britt (Rabbitohs) Miss
Sione Katoa (Panthers) Miss
Dallin Watene-Zelesniak (Penrith) Overpaid but at least he's a first grade footballer
Luke Thompson (St Helens) We actually nailed this one

Players signed for 2021 2/6
Nick Cotric (Raiders) Overpaid (for us so far) but he's at least a star player
Corey Allen (Rabbitohs) Overpaid but he's versatile
Corey Waddell (Sea Eagles) Miss
Jack Hetherington (Panthers) Overpaid Bench Player
Kyle Flanagan (Roosters) Miss
Ava S (England) Minimum player signed mid season

Players signed for 2022
Matt Burton (Penrith) Probably a home run
Josh Addo-Carr (Storm)
Brent Naden (Penrith)

Players retained over that period til next year at least
Averillo Has potential
Doorey Has potential
Elliot Overpaid for what he offers
Jackson Overpaid for what he offers
Topine Has potential
RFM Good but always injured

Now I am as optimistic about Burton as everyone else. The kid looks like an absolute stud. I want to point everyone in the direction of Nick Cotric. I don't think a single person on this forum would say he wasn't a stud for the last two season in Canberra. I dont think anyone would say he's a bad player. It's just that he's surrounded by completely average footballers all around him. We haven't nailed our rebuild at all. Compare it to the rebuild we did in 2008/9 where we nailed almost every signing

2008/9 signings
Brett Kimmorley - Cronulla Sharks HOME RUN
Ben Hannant - Brisbane Broncos HOME RUN
David Stagg - Brisbane Broncos Great signing
Michael Ennis - Brisbane Broncos HOME RUN
Josh Morris - St George Illawarra Dragons HOME RUN
Michael Hodgson - Gold Coast Titans Great signing
Yileen Gordon - South Sydney Rabbitohs Reserve option
Greg Eastwood - Brisbane Broncos HOME RUN
Bryson Goodwin - Cronulla Sharks Great signing
Nice analysis mate. Tells a thought provoking story.
Also gives me positives, because the look of the recruitment going forward is uplifting.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shows how far our club has fallen. In the 2008 after we copped two betrayals (Mason and SBW). We were then able to shore it up with a massive recruitment drive that if it hadn't been for a rampant Hayne and Patten being injured early probably would've gotten us to the GF.

Nowadays we are mired in mediocrity and this is a problem from the top down. It doesn't feel like our club is hungry for success on the field anymore

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Allan might push himself out of the team or the club the way he's playing. I can't recall him beating his man once in eight games so far. He's so slow and lethargic he makes Hoppa look like Addo-Carr... Schoupp might be a chance but it depends on if he gets a chance this year or how he goes over the offseason.

For sure, it would be easier for the younger guys if there was a better team around them, but then again if the team was stronger they might not be getting as many opportunities.
Agree B-Train, from our signings, Allan is struggling, needs to get himself more involved but even then, I’m not too sure what he can offer, I have Schoupp ahead of him in terms of being an attacking threat. Flanagan I have patience for because he’s trying to create behind a lack of go-forward but still managed 7 or 8 try assists which isn’t bad considering how many tries we have actually scored. Waddell, he’s nor here or there...

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing the OP seems to have disregarded in the opening post is that at the start of the rebuild we had bugger all to spend. The chances of us picking up a lot of quality at that point was slim. So context needs to be applied.

I thought Cogger and Meaney along with CHN and Napa were good signings considering our cap was in a very poor state in 2019. The following year wasn't much easier with few funds. Coming into this year I think that Cotric was a good signing and both Allen and Flanagan were both last minute signings when the bulk of talent was already taken up earlier.

The true test comes with what we're able to bring in leading into next year. I honestly have no idea what we've got left to spend and it kind of annoys me that a few people get into arguments about that. It's not even possible to make semi educated guesses because even reporters that have suggested what we've been paying our off contract players have no idea. All we can do at this point is hope that we've got enough money to bring in a few more players that will make a significant difference to our fortunes. JAC, Naden and Burton should all add some quality.

All along with this rebuild we've been given the honest information that our cap was in a mess until we were able to hit the market this year. Now we just have to strap ourselves in to the emotional roller coaster of supporting the team and hope that we enjoy the ride ahead.
Thanks for the feedback. I do have a few rebuttals though.
  1. Napa was not a good signing. It was in direct response to losing Klemmer. If the idea was always to be competative in 2022 we should never have wasted cap space on him.
  2. Cogger and Meaney werent cheap. They were rumoured to be on around 300k each.
  3. CHN was a good signing however it didnt benefit us at all in the longterm.

Part of my point is that we have made a lot of rash decisions. What was the point of buying high on Allen? Only to sign Naden the next year. And Flanagan from what we've seen so far is a complete miss as our longterm halfback. Of course next years signings look quality and I hope we buy more proven players. But it doesnt discount the fact that we're making our fair share of mistakes.

Every rebuild has its misses. The whole point of this thread was to look back and analyse our recent decisions. It doesnt mean that longterm this group wont gel. But we need morr Burtons, and less Napas.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

So where is Yileen Gordon today? He is 34 & playing for Souths reservesYileen.jpg

Bluebarry

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just saying it’s all pointing in the right direction for 2023 , or more likely 2024 . To even look serious enough to win a GF . I’m sure most of us are immunised against the losers flu we’ve endured for the last couple of seasons in particular . Man even other supporters have stopped bagging us these days . Why they see our future being brighter then there’s with The Baz Effect .
Just keep the treats coming with more future signings Baz , it’s starting to help ease the pain somewhat for this season .