News A Gus about nothing: Gould promised everything but Bulldogs going backwards under his watch

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
The Donkeys had their pathways in order, plenty of juniors coming through, that's their head start on others (like us, who don't). Without that 2 years (2 months FMD) isn't remotely possible.

Perhaps some facts, quote first for completeness;
"It’s not a short-term fix. Kevin Walters saying he’ll win a premiership in three years is pie in the sky stuff. That’s him being hopeful and trying to give hope to his fans. "

Gould made that comment on Monday June 21, 2021 on 100% Footy
Did the Donkeys win a premiership in 2021 - No
Did the Donkeys win a premiership in 2022 - No
Have they won the 2023 Premiership - No, but they still could.
If they don't then Gould was correct, 3 years no premiership.

Of course we could be pedantic and claim the 3 years doesn't finish until June 20 2024, but if the Donkeys don't win it this year then they can't win a premiership in June 2024.

Always a Bulldog
ok so now you are going to make me cheer for brisbane ffs, this is sickening

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The Donkeys 4 of their 5 spine players (I include lock) are local juniors, only Reynolds is an import. Which is exactly what Gould is saying and doing, under the Cap you can't afford to be signing quality established NRL level players in every position, the majority need to be locals.

The Donkeys also have a well developed pathways system which until this year we had dissmantled. Which is exactly what Gould is saying and doing, reinstating and developing new pathways.

The Donkeys also have locked in junior clubs that develop players for them, they have literally hundreds to recruit from. Which is exactly what Gould is saying and doing with links to clubs in NSW, Qld, NZ and more recently Fiji.

The major difference with the Donkeys is that they had more developed locals than we do because Hasler got rid of the pathways that ours should have come up through. Plainly with 4 locals in the spine that helps immensely.

Adding Reynolds was their 1 missing spine piece, I wish we only had 1 missing piece. KWalters also recognised that his 2022 support staff weren't up to it, for 2023 he got rid of SWalters (ouch nepotism) and Terry Matterson and promoted Matt Ballin and John Cartwright.

Always a Bulldog
And to be fair, Qld was no where near as hampered by the Covid fallout. We closed the border but def didn't affect sport participation/development as much as NSW clubs as life continued on pretty much as normal apart from some measures.

This may be a factor in junior development? Not sure.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walters is doing it Gould's way, mostly locals (4 out of 5 spine players) and then fill in with recruits (Reynolds). That's Gould's method, maybe Walters listened, understood and actually followed what Gould was telling him.

Always a Bulldog
To be fair it’s not difficult to fill a team with good quality locals when you are a one team city

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair it’s not difficult to fill a team with good quality locals when you are a one team city
That's why the Dolphins were a great idea, halves the Donkey's monopoly.

Always a Bulldog

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Walters is doing it Gould's way, mostly locals (4 out of 5 spine players) and then fill in with recruits (Reynolds). That's Gould's method, maybe Walters listened, understood and actually followed what Gould was telling him.

Always a Bulldog
Walters isn’t doing it Goulds way. Walters has spent big on front rowers and a halfback with a cheap hooker. Thats Chris Andersons way. Gould has spent big on a winger two centres and a second rower hooker. The the cart before the horse way.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus is working his arse off for the club and he'd know all the short cuts to get his media done with a minimum of effort. Who cares.

Some of his recruitment looks pretty ordinary so far (especially some mid range forwards and TPJ), and Gus has to own that. But his role is really about tomorrow and to blame him for today is ridiculous. Already our lower grades are doing well, even though plenty have been pulled up a grade due to NRL injuries. There's also been a lot of recruitment around that 16-18 age group of promising players and a growing influence in our country feeder areas in NSW and QLD. Those things take a few years and Gus can't change the fact we weren't doing them three or four years ago.

Ciraldo has to take a lot more accountability than Gus for the performances week to week. He hasn't done bad enough to deserve talk of axing, but it's a below average start by him for sure. Kikau, Crighton and Xerri will improve us, as will some of the young blokes replacing the dead wood, but Ciraldo needs to get more out of the team this year, starting with Burton and Mahoney, plus the whole forward pack, except Preston and maybe Morrin right now.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Walters isn’t doing it Goulds way. Walters has spent big on front rowers and a halfback with a cheap hooker. Thats Chris Andersons way. Gould has spent big on a winger two centres and a second rower hooker. The the cart before the horse way.
Comparisons with the Donkeys, OK let's go;

The Donkeys pay OK for centres, Staggs is on $700k and you can bet we aren't paying Xerri anywhere near that, we are a long, long way from "spending big" on him.

I assume when you talk about "2 centres", with Xerri being one, you must mean Crichton who is most likely going to play fullback. That aside, he's the better most consistent centre out of him/Staggs/Farnworth (who is going to the Dolphins for $750k in 2024). If Crichton works out at fullback then he's good value, if he plays centre then he is on about what he deserves when compared to his Donkeys' contemporaries.

Comparing wingers, Cobbo is on $600k or $700k depending on which source we believe, that's more that JAC. The Donkeys actually spent big(ger) on a winger.

Talking about hookers, aren't the Donkeys chasing Hunt to play there for the rest of the season, that's equivalent to a $1.2m hooker, makes Mahoney look great value.

Moving on to props, their only prop on decent money is Haas. Flegler is leaving to go the Dolphins for $750k for 4 years, obviously Walters didn't "spend big" (enough) on him. As for the rest they sure as hell didn't spend big on Marty Taupau or Willison or Baylis-Brow (not resigned for 2024) or Palasia (he's going to the Titans) or Jensen or Te Kura.

As for halfbacks, to "spend big" on one first we have to find one that is worth spending big on, that's not an easy task.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

The Donkeys pay OK for centres, Staggs is on $700k and you can bet we aren't paying Xerri anywhere near that, we are a long, long way from "spending big" on him.

I assume when you talk about "2 centres", with Xerri being one, you must mean Crichton who is most likely going to play fullback. That aside, he's the better most consistent centre out of him/Staggs/Farnworth (who is going to the Dolphins for $750k in 2024). If Crichton works out at fullback then he's good value, if he plays centre then he is on about what he deserves when compared to his Donkeys' contemporaries.

Comparing wingers, Cobbo is on $600k or $700k depending on which source we believe, that's more that JAC. The Donkeys actually spent big(ger) on a winger.

Talking about hookers, aren't the Donkeys chasing Hunt to play there for the rest of the season, that's equivalent to a $1.2m hooker, makes Mahoney look great value.

Moving on to props, their only prop on decent money is Haas. Flegler is leaving to go the Dolphins for $750k for 4 years, obviously Walters didn't "spend big" (enough) on him. As for the rest they sure as hell didn't spend big on Marty Taupau or Willison or Baylis-Brow (not resigned for 2024) or Palasia (he's going to the Titans) or Jensen or Te Kura.

As for halfbacks, to "spend big" on one first we have to find one that is worth spending big on, that's not an easy task.

Always a Bulldog
What do you reckon their salary cap adds up to TT.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we didn't have such a hideous injury toll we would be doing much better.
You simply can't be competitive if most of your best players are on the sideline and combinations cant jell.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we didn't have such a hideous injury toll we would be doing much better.
You simply can't be competitive if most of your best players are on the sideline and combinations cant jell.
This is true. When you are starting off an average base it is even worse. Our full strength roster with all players available this year is one of if not the skinniest in the NRL. With our injuries it has laid us bare. Also exposing the lack of balance across the squad.

Hopefully the recruitment & retention team can get it right for 2024. Get the balance across the squad correct. Recruit in key areas where needed. Identity what players are coming through the system and slowly bring them through.

If this is managed correctly and we get a better run with injuries. 2024 will be a better year. Better but probably still not good enough for TK. Realistically we might scrape in to 7-8th as a best case scenario. More the likely 9-11th. Then we should grow again and be a genuine finals team by 2025.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What do you reckon their salary cap adds up to TT.
The Donkeys have no issues with Cap compliance, never have, the Thoroughbreds have always made up any shortfall in what a player wants and what the Donkeys Cap can afford to pay. If the Thoroughbreds can't handle it then the Broncos Old Boys step up.

The Thoroughbreads is similar in function to how Politis handles the same scenarios at the Chooks, his "associates" handle it.

Not Cap related, but interesting nonetheless, over the time that Bennett was the Donkeys' Coach the Thoroughbreds paid him $1m that the Donkeys' Board wouldn't pay. It was to make up for the difference to what the Cowboys offered him.

Always a Bulldog

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Kevins Way=Middles-Haas, Carrigan, Flegler, Palasia, Jensen, Tapau + Adam Reynolds.
Ladder position -1st.

Gus’s way- Middles, TPJ, Max King(playing injured as we have no other real middles) Chris Patalo, Ryan Sutton (sort of a middle),
Luke Thompson(sort of but not really), Kurtis Morrin (a small goer that would do well if the rest of the pack was Kevins way).
+ a gun centre playing a in his fourth best position.
Ladder position -Hoping like hell that the Dragons don’t win another game.

Gus is supposedly the mastermind behind our roster balance isn’t he? Vaughan and Ava would be handy now…and what the fuck happened with releasing Davey in the middle of the injury crisis?

Darciemcd

Waterboy
Reaction score
Stuart Thomas and Darcie are the same

there Canterbury Fans who only comment on Canterbury

limited ability as so called Journos
I encourage you to listen to the Fox League Podcast - which I chase my own guests for and produce myself. Latrell Mitchell, Nicho Hynes, Kieran Foran, Reece Robson, Jarrod Wallace and Tyrell Sloan just some of the guests I've had on.

I write a weekly wrap of reserve grade - an idea that I pitched to my editors at the start of last season.

Here's an Origin article - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...y/news-story/9bec0bf7ab2c04b73d9a96ecaffb156b

Here's a Roosters article - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/f3112c92ae7906ced62307737ada543d

Here's a Cowboys article - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...o/news-story/52a6c000ee8421ac248d351167939302

Here's one of my favourites. A 7000-word beast dissecting the depth of every roster ahead of the 2022 season (which took me weeks) - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/54138e6e04281bdb508219942651cea9

Yes, I am a Bulldogs fan. But you are delusional if you think I could hang onto a job as a full-time reporter in an incredibly competitive industry by only commenting on the Dogs - or if I had 'limited ability'.

Tag me next time you want to criticise my work.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I encourage you to listen to the Fox League Podcast - which I chase my own guests for and produce myself. Latrell Mitchell, Nicho Hynes, Kieran Foran, Reece Robson, Jarrod Wallace and Tyrell Sloan just some of the guests I've had on.

I write a weekly wrap of reserve grade - an idea that I pitched to my editors at the start of last season.

Here's an Origin article - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...y/news-story/9bec0bf7ab2c04b73d9a96ecaffb156b

Here's a Roosters article - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/f3112c92ae7906ced62307737ada543d

Here's a Cowboys article - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...o/news-story/52a6c000ee8421ac248d351167939302

Here's one of my favourites. A 7000-word beast dissecting the depth of every roster ahead of the 2022 season (which took me weeks) - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/54138e6e04281bdb508219942651cea9

Yes, I am a Bulldogs fan. But you are delusional if you think I could hang onto a job as a full-time reporter in an incredibly competitive industry by only commenting on the Dogs - or if I had 'limited ability'.

Tag me next time you want to criticise my work.
Take no notice Darcie...we don't lol

And thanks for your support of the CB Bulldogs. Great to read your articles about us and league in general.

Hoping we can do better soon so this place isn't so depressing :grinning: