Official 9’s Game Thread

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah it's a shit rule imo all they have to do is be so critical of blockers and we will have clean in air contests and won't have to lock for penalties in the area imo
It was brought in because of this and tackles like it.

upload_2020-2-15_16-38-40.png

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Smith could always go back to wing as one option. We can’t afford to leak points on the wing when we struggle to score more than 18. I think we have some talented players in the squad now and need to stop playing guys who have failed in the top grade when given opportunities
Wanted Averillo to start at centre this year since last season, for me it was the call we really needed to make. Kid has handled the step up though the grades with ease, shows plenty of promise and is a genuine ball runner with pace and that's something we're missing in the side. We also get to leave our best winger on the wing.

No doubt Pay will pick our most experienced players and fit them into the 17 and give them as much of an opportunity to succeed and nail down their position in the side.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Wanted Averillo to start at centre this year since last season, for me it was the call we really needed to make. Kid has handled the step up though the grades with ease, shows plenty of promise and is a genuine ball runner with pace and that's something we're missing in the side. We also get to leave our best winger on the wing.

No doubt Pay will pick our most experienced players and fit them into the 17 and give them as much of an opportunity to succeed and nail down their position in the side.
Agree Reimis should stay on the wing. Yes, the 9's are the 9's and maybe we'll see how the first trial goes but I wouldn't pick Okunbor for Round 1.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it's a shit rule imo all they have to do is be so critical of blockers and we will have clean in air contests and won't have to lock for penalties in the area imo
The NRL is going to decide games on this rule! It sooooo grey, they will take the piss out of it! Disgraceful!!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Crusher and Des’ all time favourite player Zac Saddler is really making a impression. He just managed to get sin binned after being put on report twice in a minute!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Crusher and Des’ all time favourite player Zac Saddler is really making a impression. He just managed to get sin binned after being put on report twice in a minute!
Should of been a send off tbh.. clothesline without the ball .. text book send off..

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can also get injured getting out of bed in the morning.

The key is that there is a much larger chance of getting injured in a match...
They also can’t get better at footy without playing some sort of contact game. Players can get injured
Exactly. Considering defence is what we have to build off shifting Smith to the centres and having to play either Okunbor and Averillo on a wing will kill off any motivation to stand strong. Averillo is a good kid but its not the time to throw a rookie on a wing because we have to.

Harper is a strong defender and can cart up the ball strongly, more than enough for the mean time and it strengthens the notion of sacrifice and working hard, the basis of the set culture.
With Harper off contract I think we need to know what we have sooner rather than later if he is going to be extended.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agree Reimis should stay on the wing. Yes, the 9's are the 9's and maybe we'll see how the first trial goes but I wouldn't pick Okunbor for Round 1.
Okunbor needs to polish up so many areas of wing play, rather him do that in reserves than firstgrade.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
They also can’t get better at footy without playing some sort of contact game. Players can get injured

With Harper off contract I think we need to know what we have sooner rather than later if he is going to be extended.
I find it hard to believe we don't know who we're keeping one year before they're off contract. We should be planning at least one year ahead. If someone not in our plans post 2020 steps up when given an opportunity then we can reassess but you can't just wait and see with that little time left.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He looks slimmer but gassed out very quick. He still covered well after playing in the middle.... Maybe more game time will help?
Not sure but I'm struggling to find how both he and Britt fit into our 17, feel like one should be starting on the bench and the other in reserves. Stimson just looked really underwhelming.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Ok so just got home and watched the replay against Sharks. Is the general feeling that any backline scenario this year that doesn't involve Okunbour the general feeling? Bloke isn't even up to 9's standard and any back should be loving that format.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ok so just got home and watched the replay against Sharks. Is the general feeling that any backline scenario this year that doesn't involve Okunbour the general feeling? Bloke isn't even up to 9's standard and any back should be loving that format.
That 9's performance almost put him in the Crichton boat. Only thing I can say to defend him is we brought an under strength side (which we didn't even play the best team out of the players we brought) and Ryan played in the middle for half the game - meaning more players had to commit around where Ryan was defending. Okunbor was 1v3 on some occasions. The biggest problem with Okunbor is his passiveness. He just doesn't look competitive or hungry. It's like he's just happy to be there.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is that you saying something positive about Pay???
What’s your thoughts on Holland off the bench?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe we don't know who we're keeping one year before they're off contract. We should be planning at least one year ahead. If someone not in our plans post 2020 steps up when given an opportunity then we can reassess but you can't just wait and see with that little time left.
Things change and we need to pivot when appropriate. Xerri’s availability for example could drastically change this scenario if he was interested in signing with us

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing that worries me most about Oku is he just doesn’t learn from his mistakes and adjust.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing that worries me most about Oku is he just doesn’t learn from his mistakes and adjust.

his passiveness is the big issue as many have mentioned.. you've got guys like Morgan Harper who will fight over a bone waiting in the wings as well and even though they play different positions, Dean could easily play Smith on the wing with Harper taking a centre spot

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
That 9's performance almost put him in the Crichton boat. Only thing I can say to defend him is we brought an under strength side (which we didn't even play the best team out of the players we brought) and Ryan played in the middle for half the game - meaning more players had to commit around where Ryan was defending. Okunbor was 1v3 on some occasions. The biggest problem with Okunbor is his passiveness. He just doesn't look competitive or hungry. It's like he's just happy to be there.
He just doesn't improve and for me he should go back to reggies and fight his way into the team. His lack of aggression and general look of bewilderment astonishes me. I know it's only 9's but some things stick out no matter what the format. He's the same as 12 months ago with no visual benefit from the FG he's played. He wouldn't be in my RD1 team that's for sure!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Is that you saying something positive about Pay???
What’s your thoughts on Holland off the bench?
Not really positive lol. I don't agree with what I think Pay will do but I won't smash him over it at this stage despite being a little underwhelmed.

A versatile back off the bench is something I'm happy to see happen as long as the rest of the bench is balanced...but for that player to be Holland and him potentially acting as hooker then I'm not so keen lol.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not really positive lol. I don't agree with what I think Pay will do but I won't smash him over it at this stage despite being a little underwhelmed.

A versatile back off the bench is something I'm happy to see happen as long as the rest of the bench is balanced...but for that player to be Holland and him potentially acting as hooker then I'm not so keen lol.
What did Holland do wrong last time he played hooker?.. I can't remember to much wrong with his efforts.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Stimson must be eating Macca's all offseason. Fatter than I thought.