80 minute #9 obsession

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Plenty of people have been noticing how far downhill Cook has gone. It was highlighted again last night when JAC went past him from 20m out to score in the corner. Cook looked like he couldn't get out of 2nd gear. It wasn't long ago he was challenging Smith as best dummy half in the comp. These days he is clearly struggling with injury, has lost pace and stamina, and is offering very little threat out of dummy half.

Theory: the obsession with having the #9 play 80 minutes is ruining bodies and shortening careers.

Blokes like the Walters twins, Buderus, and Ennis played in an era when the game was slower and the bodies not as big. C Smith did too in the early stages of his career. He picked the right time to retire though, he'd really struggle this year. Despite this consideration, the blokes listed above were the exception even when they were playing. The last time we were consistently a top 4 team we had 2 players in that position; Perry and Hughes.

C Smith was a freak, an aberration, clubs and fans need to recognise that most of the time you need at least 2 blokes in your 17 who can play dummy half well. At the moment we have none. We don't necessarily need an 80 minute hooker, we need 2 blokes who can play that role well, with at least one of them able to play competently in another position like lock or half to help cover for in game injuries. Then we also need 2 blokes who can play dummy half to an ok level, which I would consider JMK level.

If I was Strom I would be doing everything I could to convince B Smith to stay.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plenty of people have been noticing how far downhill Cook has gone. It was highlighted again last night when JAC went past him from 20m out to score in the corner. Cook looked like he couldn't get out of 2nd gear. It wasn't long ago he was challenging Smith as best dummy half in the comp. These days he is clearly struggling with injury, has lost pace and stamina, and is offering very little threat out of dummy half.

Theory: the obsession with having the #9 play 80 minutes is ruining bodies and shortening careers.

Blokes like the Walters twins, Buderus, and Ennis played in an era when the game was slower and the bodies not as big. C Smith did too in the early stages of his career. He picked the right time to retire though, he'd really struggle this year. Despite this consideration, the blokes listed above were the exception even when they were playing. The last time we were consistently a top 4 team we had 2 players in that position; Perry and Hughes.

C Smith was a freak, an aberration, clubs and fans need to recognise that most of the time you need at least 2 blokes in your 17 who can play dummy half well. At the moment we have none. We don't necessarily need an 80 minute hooker, we need 2 blokes who can play that role well, with at least one of them able to play competently in another position like lock or half to help cover for in game injuries. Then we also need 2 blokes who can play dummy half to an ok level, which I would consider JMK level.

The whole game and particularly the new rules are destroying players bodies and careers, I'm convinced that their is more injuries particularly head knocks now than there ever was.
Perhaps Dietz and Topane could be as good a solution as we could possibly have, at least for the present

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we sign B. Smith I'd be carrying Topine on the bench (who you'd think would already be there anyways) who can spell hooker and lock, or even play some second row. If Topine's not up to that role I'd play JMK (or sign another hooker that's better and is happy playing a limited role) off the bench. I still haven't seen enough of Deitz to say he's better than JMK (might be an unpopular opinion, but that's where I'm atm).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Players like the Brailey brothers, Mahoney, Grant and even Starling can all play 80 minutes and be effective.

You could argue that the current pace of play is unsustainable and is leading to more injuries across all positions so it will reduce everyone's careers, not just hookers.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Great post mate, I have been interested to listen to comments around the mental toughness of some of our modern footballers, while most of them are great athletes there seems to be a widening gap between those that can push themselves mentally and those that can't.

Malla

Reaction score
Cook's strength was his ability to run with pace from dummy half and cut teams up through the middle. I think the work required from hooker has just gotten the better of him. It's impossible to sustain that level of attack and still make 50+ tackles per game and the ground you have to cover. He's burnt out after 3-4 seasons.

Cook just doesn't have anything else other than speed. Or I should say 'had speed'. He doesn't have a kicking game, his passing game is average and I don't think he's much of a play maker so once his speed starts to give way he just becomes a very average player. It's up to him to add another dimension to his game, if he doesn't I can easily see him playing the rest of his career in England. He should not be picked in origin this year either.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cook actually steps up in Origin. I remember last year he was in pretty ordinary form but played well in Origin. Looking forward to him team up with JAC and Tedesco.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score

It’s the speed of the game not the size… Glen Lazarus. Petro…Webcke…willie… fuck me the boys were just as big if not bigger back then..It’s the fact their running at you more constantly with multiple 6 agains. Probably need a sub hooker on your bench that’s all it is. Which is why the storm might keep smith

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
I don't think playing 80 minutes of football is breaking players body down. Aerobically though yes it is tough in today's game to maintain the same level of performance. Having a utility on your bench is definitely more key than ever.