40 Years ago we lost a great talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was on this day 40 years ago that we lost a great talent in Dave Allison. He went to work one day as an electrician & never came home. He played 10 games for us in 1977, 8 starts & 2 from the bench & some said he would play for Australia one day. He played hooker & was the back-up for Dr. George Peponis.

I have attached an article from Rugby League Week written following his death. He was just 21 years old & was engaged to be married before the accident.Allison.jpg

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice tribute mate, being born in the 90s I'd never heard of this man until now. RIP

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The world seems very unfair at times with these untimely deaths

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, I do remember him as a great defender and from memory played a bit of second row when Dr George was in the side. Another great from that era taken too early was Gary Dowling.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep I recall him as as very good player, would have to have waited a few years to get a regular crack at FG

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great tribute.
A couple of years before my time, and I’d never heard this story.
You know a players good when he demands selection, out of position, in a team that has the Australian hooker in it.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for posting.
I was 9 years old at the time but followed Canterbury with a huge passion as you do as a child.
I have no memory of Allison or his untimely death.
Interesting read.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Was well before my time but sounds like a really sad situation for all involved back then. It will remain one of our clubs darkest days, however we were also privileged that such a talented young player wanted to be associated with our club in an era where playing for money was almost non existent. This young man will be a Bulldog for eternity.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
very sad, what could have been

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
Very sad .. although you don’t know these guys personally - they are in your lives via tv or at the game or reading the papers ...

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a terrible thing to have happened to him, his family and his mates at the club. Very sad.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice tribute Chisdog. I remember when it happened. Pretty sure we had Peponis, Barry Phillis and Allison as hookers at the time and Allison was just starting to emerge. Very sad.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice tribute Chisdog. I remember when it happened. Pretty sure we had Peponis, Barry Phillis and Allison as hookers at the time and Allison was just starting to emerge. Very sad.
Pat English was also coming through around that time

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wow.... I remember the day that the news came through about David Allison. I was waiting outside of work and one of my workmates who was/is also a big Dogs fan told me what had happened. Dave was a very talented player and was going places. I would have been around the same age as him and it hit home hard. Going to work as he usually did and just never going home. Felt so sad for his fiance too. I must admit I shed a tear or two at the time.

Thank you for posting this article.

Steve M

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I remember Dave was a great talent and remember his accident. Very sad time for his family and the Club. I’m glad he hasn’t been forgotten

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember Dave was a great talent and remember his accident. Very sad time for his family and the Club. I’m glad he hasn’t been forgotten
And that's the point - we shouldn't forget him. We are the family club & I hope the club looked after his fiancé (& family) & helped them through this ordeal.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another Bulldog we shouldn't forget is Greg Buckley, an under 21s player in 1988.

As Canterbury celebrated their grand final win, it was easy to forget the moment at Belmore in August when the world seemed to stand still for the Buckley family. Greg Buckley, a promising under-21 fullback was knocked unconscious in a tackle in a match against St George. For a time, it seemed that he might not live. In a coma for 40 days, and with his family maintaining a vigil by his hospital bed, Buckley, remarkably, awoke on grand final day, sat up in bed and watched the match with his family.

http://www.thebulldogs.com.au/sportal.php?page=history_overview&chapter=The+Way+Ahead

I wish I knew what became of him & what his life is like now, nearly 30 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.