2024 Bulldogs Finals Bound!?

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I was watching a 1999 game between Storm and Magpies and it blew my mind how similar the Storm were stylistically to how they operate today…. Basically maintained a simple formula as we know it today focussed on their ruck speed (super quick) Vs slowing down the opposition ruck (and this was before the wrestle came in) adding that upon returning the ball, the fullback would link up with the wingers and gain 15-20m cheaply (since defenders were honing in on the fullback, there was ample space out wide)…. I can’t see how this formula wouldn’t work in any era?

Ruck speed is our key, the quicker we can play the ball, the more this nullifies our lack thereof middles (our smaller middles should gain decent yardage with defenders backpedaling)… I don’t know how much work goes into cultivating a sense of urgency when tackled, but the Storm do it best and have done for over 20+ years consistently. We seem to do it in patches, the last few years, the first 10/15mins and then it goes back to being sluggish.

Hopefully with a rigorous pre-season, boys are fully fit and bring the energy because playing fast and using our speed is our only hope of mixing it with the big guns.
You’re right and there’s no reason why we can’t make metres with early shifts to the centres and wingers.
If we’re any hope we need to play our own unique style and be a little bit unpredictable with offloads and second phase.
Ideally if you’re gonna have a weak/small middle you’d at least have yardage style wingers and centres but anyway…

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Things won't Improve greatly. Still lacking a barnstorming prop and a crafty halfback.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I certainly don't see us competing for the premiership however I do feel this is the year we start turning things around and I think we might shock a few people.
I agree,
I think we give a few teams a good hit out
I don't think we will be a complete training run for the other clubs like we were previously.
We lost a lot of games by 20 points or more last season.
I can't see that happening as often this year

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I believe the backs will match it with most teams in the comp. The forwards are a different kettle of fish.
A lot will rest on Patolo, Hughes, Edwards and Sutton to perform. I think Edwards is the smoky. he has built up nicely
to about 105kgs and is super fit.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's a lot to be excited about in my opinion. Plenty are focused on what we lack. We don't have any highly touted props. Our halves are big on potential, but need to deliver consistent results. And plenty here are of the belief that the utility recruitment strategy won't yield results. So while we would look better with an ass kicking forward or two leading the pack. I really think we've recruited about as well as any team in the comp over the last few seasons.

We've not only nabbed some real attacking threats, I think we've also recruited players that'll tighten the edge defence.

You just have to look at the fact that early on last season we were thinking that Okunbor was a revelation in the second row. I don't think we'll have to get excited about seeing flashes of quality from players that have failed to impress for multiple seasons. Not all of our recruits will set the world on fire. But if we get 17 players on the field that don't collapse like a house of cards when the pressure is on, we'll be happier fans.

We're set to improve a lot. The big hope for me and I'd guess most here is that we make the finals and actually have a chance of not being knocked out in week 1. Realistically I'd be happy if we finish above tenth and never concede more than 18 points in any game this year. But I think we'll surprise a few teams.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This team compared to last year could beat anyone on its day if it peaks but over the course of a long season we will lose a lot more than we win

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
15th. Our forwards will get steamrolled again. Our halves aren't creative enough. We'll let in less points but it won't win us games we'll just have closer scorelines. Only teams worse than us again are Tigers and Dragons. In 2025 Tigers are likely better than us. Unless Gus can do his job and sign us 2 -3 decent props we're not improving anytime soon. Seve is the only decent prop coming through our lower grades. Hughes, King and Patolo aren't tough enough. Knight is average.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to stop making excuses and start competing . It’s a competition . The knights did it this year. There’s no reason why we can’t . Our squad is more than capable of competing and beating teams .

sam snee

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
14 I honestly don’t see us improving without decent middles atm by far worse middles in the comp sadly

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I believe we'll miss the 8. Definitely, Top 8, top 4 is achievable in this comp with our squad (that's the keyword, squad).

Tactics and training will change what's easy to call a top 8 miss into top 8 material, but we have to see as the season plays out, games roll on.

Small doable things in lots of areas need to be improved on the field and within the team at training.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The airy fairy stuff from 2023 pre season is over.

A big thing that keeps getting missed is experience. I'm not talking about the well known experience stats, rep honours, grand finals, etc. Just the simple fact that the core of players are "experienced" now, check out most of the squad individually, even the younglings and recruits. Most juniors come from a background of always winning or being the reason to winning, being the biggest, fastest, most skilful, 2023 should be taken as a wakeup for the existing players, they can easily lift and become better players. Use it as hunger. Bulldogs staff and facilities are all there for the players individually and collectively to improve and become the best.

Let's be truthful, deep down most people here and in the sport know - not much separates the top players to what was dished up on the field. They have to be mentally committed, in everything. They can fuck off (and pretty much they have) if they're not up to the challenge.

2023 will build character and hunger plus add the fact that the new recruits have their own reasons to own their place and make a name in the team.

Experience and motivation will go a long way and Dogs have that in various ways, backgrounds, coming into 2024. CC and staff needs to manage, strategise, coach, and this squad will be easier to deal with and rely on than previously.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There's a lot to be excited about in my opinion. Plenty are focused on what we lack. We don't have any highly touted props. Our halves are big on potential, but need to deliver consistent results. And plenty here are of the belief that the utility recruitment strategy won't yield results. So while we would look better with an ass kicking forward or two leading the pack. I really think we've recruited about as well as any team in the comp over the last few seasons.

We've not only nabbed some real attacking threats, I think we've also recruited players that'll tighten the edge defence.

You just have to look at the fact that early on last season we were thinking that Okunbor was a revelation in the second row. I don't think we'll have to get excited about seeing flashes of quality from players that have failed to impress for multiple seasons. Not all of our recruits will set the world on fire. But if we get 17 players on the field that don't collapse like a house of cards when the pressure is on, we'll be happier fans.

We're set to improve a lot. The big hope for me and I'd guess most here is that we make the finals and actually have a chance of not being knocked out in week 1. Realistically I'd be happy if we finish above tenth and never concede more than 18 points in any game this year. But I think we'll surprise a few teams.
We haven’t really got started in the Ciraldo era with the injury crisis and constant disturbances last year. Eventuated as a learning curve for CC in the end and a realisation of what he signed up for. Stability in the 17 is key to moving foward from the misery of the past few years we’ve really lacked camaraderie amoungst the side. Being unable to blood the younger boys into a stable FG environment over the years has hindered us, people forget Burton is 23 underwhelming at times he isnt leaking 40 alone though.

Our backs and second row/ Curran are our strong point will he handy defensively and in there 20, probably on average score more certainly leak a lot less think we will stay in more games. Our starting middle is second to most if the halves were a better story I would say were a chance at the 8. See how it pans out though should be better on the eye atleast.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Pretty shit hey ... I remember being little and crying when we got 50 points out on us in 2005 against Eels and Tigers in consecutive weeks.
Hopefully no thrashings in 2024.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pretty shit hey ... I remember being little and crying when we got 50 points out on us in 2005 against Eels and Tigers in consecutive weeks.
Hopefully no thrashings in 2024.
I think we might cop a couple of them but hopefully not. we just need to play smarter footy and control the game with repeat sets

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Interestingly enough we dont have anyone that even remotely resembles an Alpha forward with Thompson and TPJ gone (not they they were Alphas..). So maybe one of our guys like King , Knight or Curran will see an opportunity to step up? There is a lot more gritty 1st grade experience in some of the players we have recruited, but I just wish we could sign 1 decent middle to add to it.. I think we will be somewhere between 8-10th.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
When analysing where you think the bulldogs will finish, you need to factor in a few things.
Like who is the other 7 that make it,
And then more importantly who are the teams that don't make the 8.

OK, so it's all assumptions.
There are a few almost guaranteed teams to make the top 8. Or let's say teams that most league guys would expect to make the 8
Below are those teams in no particular order.
Panthers
Broncos
Storm
Roosters
Souths.

That's 5 of the 8 that you can almost bet your house on to make the 8.

Then there are other likely teams based on last year's form and strong squad.

Knights
Warriors
Both these clubs in my opinion will build on last year and make the 8.

Then there are teams that are good enough and would also expect to make the 8 if they have a consistent season.

Parramatta
Sharks.

So I have listed 9 teams, that are all good enough to make the 8.

So out of thise 9 teams, who is the 2 you think will drop out snd miss out to allow the dogs a spot in the top 8?

Then also consider dolphins will be much better next season.
Cowboys and manly and the raiders all have far better squards than the dogs for 2024.

Seriously guys, I want nothing more than to see the dogs play finals footy again.
But let's be honest with ourselves.

Without a genuine organising half, and no real dominate front rower, we are still a bottom 4 team.

I do think we will be better than last season, but it won't really be reflected on the ladder.
Not a bad assessment but what it misses out on is in order for a team to improve their ladder position they must beat a team/teams that they didn't beat last season. In turn that means those teams must end up with lower ladder positions. For every team/teams that move up the same number of teams must move down.

So who is it that is going to move down?

The first place I look is which clubs have a net loss in player quality;

#1 for me is the Broncos, they have lost Flegler, Farnworth and Capewell and gained Baker (Chooks) and Hunt (StGeorge). That's a big net loss.

#2 is Cronulla, they have lost Moylan, Tracey and Graham and gained Burns (StGeorge).

# 3 is Manly, they have lost Keppie, SFainu, Harper, Tuilagi and Weekes and gained Brooks, TTalau, James, JPaulo, Waddell and BHodgson.

#4 is Melbourne they have lost Sims, Nikorima, Eisenhuth and Jennings and gained no one that I know of. I have only ranked them 4th because they have habit of bringing in players for their SE Qld feeder clubs that are NRL ready.

#5 is Newcastle they have lost Mann, Clune, Young, Fitzgibbon, SSasagi, Miller, BHodgson, Aukafolau, HHunt, JJohns and gained Pryce, Pearce-Paul, Cogger, TJenkins, JCartwright.

#6 is Penrith, they have lost Crichton, Salmon, Leniu, Cogger, TJenkins, CSmith and Blacker and gained Laurie, Schneider and Alamoti. I have only ranked them 6th because they have a plethora of players from their lower levels that are NRL ready.

#7 is the Chooks, they have lost Baker, Paulo, Momirovski, Hutchison, Turpin, Allan and NBrown and gained Leniu and DYoung.

The not much has happened teams, quality wise, StGeorge, Tigers, Titans, Cowboys, Parramatta, Warriors, Souffs and Parramatta. Sure they have gained and lost players but in my view haven't moved up or down much in overall squad quality.

Then the teams that have gains;
A clear #1 for me is us with Xerri, Crichton, Salmon, Taaffe, Curran, Mann, Turpin, Hutchison, Faamausili and Tracey.
#2 is Dolphins, adding Farnworth, Flegler and Averillo.

What that means to the ladder will play out as the season progresses.

Always a Bulldog

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It’s going to be hard to win games if we cannot win the middle which we’re expected to lose against every other team in the comp. Spoon or bottom 4 again. As long as Ciraldo makes the right choices in all other areas and players improve under him, i’m happy with keeping him for a third year considering Gus has completely failed to build and recruit a forward pack for him.