2021 Finals Week 1 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
K Ponga is so bloody overrated. If he was a genuine superstar, Newcastle would be favorites over Parrascum.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes, they were a one state club back then. They had the whole state to choose from.
You are missing the point. I am a massive Bellamy fan and think he is the only coach on the same level as Bennett. Melbourne have also had unbelievable support to succeed from all quarters and mostly the NRL itself. It had also won a comp before he went there.

Many of the players I was referring to with the Broncs had never played in the “Sydney” comp and yes they were the team Qld players wanted to play for even though was a Gold Coast team.

Just ask JT who grew up wanting to play for the Broncos only to be told he was too small.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
in my time, Jack Gibson, Warren Ryan, Wayne Bennett, Tim Sheens, Phil Gould, Chris Anderson, Bob Fulton and Des Hasler (I know, I know, I know) are all top tier coaches... but Craig Bellamy is the best IMO

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
in my time, Jack Gibson, Warren Ryan, Wayne Bennett, Tim Sheens, Phil Gould, Chris Anderson, Bob Fulton and Des Hasler (I know, I know, I know) are all top tier coaches... but Craig Bellamy is the best IMO
Yeah it definitely is a pub debate that could take a long time and a lot of beers to get to the bottom of it..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You are missing the point. I am a massive Bellamy fan and think he is the only coach on the same level as Bennett. Melbourne have also had unbelievable support to succeed from all quarters and mostly the NRL itself. It had also won a comp before he went there.

Many of the players I was referring to with the Broncs had never played in the “Sydney” comp and yes they were the team Qld players wanted to play for even though was a Gold Coast team.

Just ask JT who grew up wanting to play for the Broncos only to be told he was too small.
Yes, I too believe the NRL has helped Melbourne and still do IMO. They are definitely the two best coaches. Who’s better is debatable. If I had to choose it’ll be Bellemy but that’s just my opinion.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The worst part about the Panthers losing now is it's almost guaranteed that one of Souths or Manly will be in the GF.

For fucks sake Penrith way to ruin an already shit season for me.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
K Ponga is so bloody overrated. If he was a genuine superstar, Newcastle would be favorites over Parrascum.
Yes I agree. As I said in a post yesterday, he doesn't have ALL the attributes of a modern top fullback. His defence is average and he is prone to being caught out of position when kicks need to be cleaned up. Broncos exposed this area last week.

The media tend to over rate players who are great in attack but suspect defensively. Not the $m player he is reputed to be.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How overhyped are Penrith's attacking structures?

They bottled it in the grand final couldn't score on Storm after multiple sets in a row. Last night only 1 try off a kick.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How overhyped are Penrith's attacking structures?

They bottled it in the grand final couldn't score on Storm after multiple sets in a row. Last night only 1 try off a kick.
Add to that they lacked an offloading forward that is essential when you face a defence that is rushing up and compressed in the middle and can get numbers in tackles. Storm are experts at this type of defence and Souths got this spot on last night.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The more I think about this very possible scenario the more sickening it gets.

Hustler & Manly on the easy side of the draw now and a real chance of getting to the GF.

Parra go on a run and get to the GF. Manly vs Parra GF yuck!