2020 recruitment

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Not too bad in Canterbury cup last year better then what we have.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still spewing we didn't get Sam Walker. He could be better than all of them. But I don't see a path to FG for him behind Keary and Flanagan.
We met with him, Trent Robinson personally called him to come down. He has never called anyone that age before . Know a walker that’s what he told me . They tipping him to be the next jt, he’s played 2 years up in mal meninga cup and killed it, he isn’t a hot head he is really humble so I’m tipping him to go far, we deffs missed this one he’s another Kalyan ponga

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We met with him, Trent Robinson personally called him to come down. He has never called anyone that age before . Know a walker that’s what he told me . They tipping him to be the next jt, he’s played 2 years up in mal meninga cup and killed it, he isn’t a hot head he is really humble so I’m tipping him to go far, we deffs missed this one he’s another Kalyan ponga
I agree man. Hopefully we can somehow poach him within the next year or two. I've spoken to Ben and Shane a fair few times when they were players and they're really good, genuine guys.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should be seriously making an offer for Thomas dreadon the 19 year old half back from the broncos. He has Croft in front of him and is very highly regarded. He is off contract at the end of 2021. Surely he has to be a target if he is not signed by the end of this year. The broncos have so many young stars coming through the ranks.....that’s why we need to sign a coach he will attract the best talent....we can’t allow these opportunities to sign the best young talent slip.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m with you in the anti-Flanagan camp. Don’t think it’ll be an issue anyway - he’s being lined up to coach the Steelers once he’s allowed to be head coach and once Mary is gone. The problem for them is Mary is unlikely to last until the end of 2021.
Don’t be surprised if he ends up back at the Sharks before season’s end.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Bellamy is highly unlikely.
Doubt it would be a rookie again after Kevvie and Deano so somewhere in between that and a ‘super’ coach. Not sure about Hook either - very decent coach but was known to get people offside. Even though he’s not on the board anymore, Opes knows him from early in his coaching career. They must be considering options for the longer term regardless.
Hook was Opes’ assistant at the Storm in 2000. Hook doesn’t get people offside. At the Broncos he was shafted for the prodigal son (Bennett). At the Panthers he was the only one with the cohones to stand up & question Gus & his inflated ego. He got the raw end of the stick at both Clubs. Very impressive coach with young rosters.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t be surprised if he ends up back at the Sharks before season’s end.
As assistant I take it. NRL have said they have no intention of shortening his probation. I don’t really care where he goes as long as it’s not Belmore.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its the one thing I dont understand with our recruitment. I know its good to lock up our juniors and any talent we already have, but to rebuild to where we want to be again we need a star point player. Fittler at the Roosters, Johns at the Knights, JT at the Cowboys, Smith at the Storm, etc etc.

Great clubs with recent success attract great players or money and potential does.

We dont have a club that screams powerhouse at the moment so we need to sell potential with big money to someone like Ponga so that other talent that also want to win comps come with him. Thompson may be a handy signing but Xfactor players wont suddenly bang down our door to join him, we need to target someone like Ponga to get the ball rolling and build around him.
You can’t expect to let go ; Taupau, Finucane, Cook and Klemmer and expect to replace them easily. We developed that Rep talent but Des let it go to keep Kasiano, Eastwood and trex, and wanted to build around Foran, Mbye and Sharon.
On top of thatc Des said no to Teddy because teddy wanted us to bring Mitchell Moses, and des wanted Foran. Lucky us, we missed out on Moses and Teddy - ffs
Our time will come again

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree man. Hopefully we can somehow poach him within the next year or two. I've spoken to Ben and Shane a fair few times when they were players and they're really good, genuine guys.
The brothers are all really cool and chilled . I’ve known a few of them the last few years with work and yeh they are all family men, and always catch up as family’s all the brothers played for the broncos even luke the youngest, top bloke he is, looking forward to seeing walker in first grade, he will be the qld no7

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Maybe getting them to coach is a way to get Sam over then

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe getting them to coach is a way to get Sam over then
Believe me when I say this , he was wanted by nearly ever club, the dad wanted him at a good club they did like the bulldogs but it was Robinson’s phone call plus he was offered the richest ammount ever for someone his age, don’t be fooled by his size seen him
Playing for school
And he’s a beast and not a hog always offloads and backs himself I’m not even being biased I truly believe this kid will be the best player qld has ever seen

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Believe me when I say this , he was wanted by nearly ever club, the dad wanted him at a good club they did like the bulldogs but it was Robinson’s phone call plus he was offered the richest ammount ever for someone his age, don’t be fooled by his size seen him
Playing for school
And he’s a beast and not a hog always offloads and backs himself I’m not even being biased I truly believe this kid will be the best player qld has ever seen
Sam looks like a quicker DCE to me. It's way too early for best Queenslander ever though.. Lewis, Langer, Thurston, Lockyer etc.. But I agree Walker is worth the hype and could be anything.

Thegoldtoothrat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tautau Moga over Hopoate [emoji23][emoji23] comedy gold
Hoppa is a good player but aint real fast and didnt do much in the centres, he actually had one of his best games in a while at fullback on the weekend. I just thought he can play wing,centre,fullback perfect cover off the bench. Moga is a gun if he stays injury free. Maybe hoppa is our fullback problem solved just wish he had a bit more pace.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As assistant I take it. NRL have said they have no intention of shortening his probation. I don’t really care where he goes as long as it’s not Belmore.
Watch this space

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was an article in today's DT reporting about Brisbane halfback Tom Deardon and how 7 clubs are lining up to steal him from the Broncos. The clubs mentioned include us, the Storm and west tigers. He is off contract at the end of 2021. he is 19 years old and is very highly rated but is stuck behind brodie Croft. I honestly think this kid will be a future star and we should go hard for him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
There was an article in today's DT reporting about Brisbane halfback Tom Deardon and how 7 clubs are lining up to steal him from the Broncos. The clubs mentioned include us, the Storm and west tigers. He is off contract at the end of 2021. he is 19 years old and is very highly rated but is stuck behind brodie Croft. I honestly think this kid will be a future star and we should go hard for him.
It makes no sense why Broncos would bring in Croft if he was showing signs of being the next best thing. Maybe they've gotten it wrong again tho. It we're buying a half it can't be more of the same of what we already have. I feel like Wakeham has the same, if not more potential as Dearden from how Fittler has spoken about him. I want to be buying top experienced players or literal young freaks.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our own bindi bobo is better

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
its been mentioned hundreds of times, that the broncos have the pick of nearly all the talent up in se qld, why, because no club from nsw shows interest in qld footy, the most recent players billy walters sam walker tristan sailor all came to clubs down due to their parents contacting clubs, players like staggs turpin smith jacks papenhauzen drinkwater and many others all sat in qld cup waiting to be picked up