2019's focus should be 2020

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all honesty wouldn’t tolman be eligible for the veterans concession out of the salary cap for 10 years at same club ?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe titans we have beat them once this year and their coach would be the only guy under as much or more pressure then Dean Pay atm..
More pressure, not working under salary cap constraints. I think they have a better squad/team then us now, but at the start of the season I still had them finishing 15th.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
In all honesty wouldn’t tolman be eligible for the veterans concession out of the salary cap for 10 years at same club ?
Yes up to 200k of his salary. So if he was on 400k only 200k would show on the salary cap. I'm not sure if you can only use this on 1 player and/if it's included with development players.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Seibold might have a spot on that list (despite the respite last week courtesy of the Sharks), as well as Green. Their teams were expected to do well this year, some were tipping the Donkeys for the Premiership with the Cowboys certainties for a top 4 spot. We were expected top do about as well (bad) as we have. The Donkeys have also lost a pretty decent team of players for this year in Allan, Kahu, Opacic, KSims, Pearson, McGuire, Savelio, Nikorima and Roberts.

Go Dogs
Seibold is ok for now it will be more what he does next year. And Cowboys lost a marquee player early and struggled with injuries. Dogs and Titans coaches are in a much worse spot in my opinion.
More pressure, not working under salary cap constraints. I think they have a better squad/team then us now, but at the start of the season I still had them finishing 15th.
yeah he probably is... but that would be about it.. we are in a bad spot until we sort the coaching future out cause it would be impacting recruitment...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with most of the stuff you have quoted on here,Auden Tolman great clubman,and an honest toiler,but y in every set of six we see him with the ball,we have renouf,in lower grades can't get a run,until now,we need to explore other options for our future,maybe a new board next year may kickstart us again,I hope
I seriously cant comprehend why so many people criticize the board. What exactly have they done that's so wrong? Extending pay for another year wasn't a great idea in hindsight, but what idea ever is? At least its only one year.
What else have they done??

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seriously cant comprehend why so many people criticize the board. What exactly have they done that's so wrong? Extending pay for another year wasn't a great idea in hindsight, but what idea ever is? At least its only one year.
What else have they done??
That's exactly it,not a hell of a lot,apart from shedding close to 10 million in players,but they do have something to show for their efforts,a thing called a wooden .

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That's exactly it,not a hell of a lot,apart from shedding close to 10 million in players,but they do have something to show for their efforts,a thing called a wooden .
Around $3m was necessary to get Cap compliant, not sure where $10m comes from (that's more than the cap which would mean no players at all).

Go Dogs

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree with most of the stuff you have quoted on here,Auden Tolman great clubman,and an honest toiler,but y in every set of six we see him with the ball,we have renouf,in lower grades can't get a run,until now,we need to explore other options for our future,maybe a new board next year may kickstart us again,I hope
Renouf is getting his run this week

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Around $3m was necessary to get Cap compliant, not sure where $10m comes from (that's more than the cap which would mean no players at all).

Go Dogs
Do the exercise,the players they have let go +the players that were being paid at other clubs,you will be surprised,I realise that it was something they had to do,but when they came on board,they said that they would not be paying another player to play at another club,

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Do the exercise,the players they have let go +the players that were being paid at other clubs,you will be surprised,I realise that it was something they had to do,but when they came on board,they said that they would not be paying another player to play at another club,
To be fair, I believe that may have been said well before the real state of the cap for 2018, 2019 and 2020 was revealed. The "cost" of moving players on was far less than the "cost" of not moving them on and as result ending up drastically over the salary cap. Those were the 2 alternatives, there was no escaping the reality of the 3 years (not just the 1 year).

And yes, I have done the exercise and it adds up to a bit over $3m, that's when duplicates (eg; Graham and Woods) are removed.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
Regardless of the decisions that have been made over the past few years, we currently have a roster that cannot compete with 80% of the teams in the NRL. Jagging a lucky win over a hapless Sharks outfit or taking the Storm to the wire at the middle of their slump does not suggest that we can match it.

I don't see how giving lower grade players first grade experience in a team that will run last (or second last) can be anything but depth and experience building. Yes, I understand that all players, FG or not, want to win but I'm talking about a team strengthening period that will last for 12 weeks that will give our team a better chance in 2020 than it currently has. If you were a current FG player knowing the season was all but gone, wouldn't you agree that building your team's depth is something that can only bring positives? We have no new players on our roster (that I can think of) in 2020 other than DWZ who has already started.

Does anyone in this forum see the Bulldogs finishing better than 15th or 16th in 2020 at this point? At least if we blood new players they will know what to expect if they get a legitimate call-up next year to fill the shoes of an injured FG player. A positive by-product of this is that the lower grade team will become stronger and more experienced as more of their roster gets a taste of first grade.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Regardless of the decisions that have been made over the past few years, we currently have a roster that cannot compete with 80% of the teams in the NRL. Jagging a lucky win over a hapless Sharks outfit or taking the Storm to the wire at the middle of their slump does not suggest that we can match it.

I don't see how giving lower grade players first grade experience in a team that will run last (or second last) can be anything but depth and experience building. Yes, I understand that all players, FG or not, want to win but I'm talking about a team strengthening period that will last for 12 weeks that will give our team a better chance in 2020 than it currently has. If you were a current FG player knowing the season was all but gone, wouldn't you agree that building your team's depth is something that can only bring positives? We have no new players on our roster (that I can think of) in 2020 other than DWZ who has already started.

Does anyone in this forum see the Bulldogs finishing better than 15th or 16th in 2020 at this point? At least if we blood new players they will know what to expect if they get a legitimate call-up next year to fill the shoes of an injured FG player. A positive by-product of this is that the lower grade team will become stronger and more experienced as more of their roster gets a taste of first grade.
Maybe with a new coach certain players may play differently. But not with the roster no I think 15-16 again next year.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be fair, I believe that may have been said well before the real state of the cap for 2018, 2019 and 2020 was revealed. The "cost" of moving players on was far less than the "cost" of not moving them on and as result ending up drastically over the salary cap. Those were the 2 alternatives, there was no escaping the reality of the 3 years (not just the 1 year).

And yes, I have done the exercise and it adds up to a bit over $3m, that's when duplicates (eg; Graham and Woods) are removed.

Go Dogs
We leave it at that,I just want this club to get back,to where we belong,and that is in the top 4 every year

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Stimson and DWZ are with us for 2020, we have 9 players off contract (Martin, Sadder and Tualau already gone), none on huge contracts, probably keep 4 on low level contracts, net around $2m maybe $2.5m. So we could score a couple of decent $500k to $700k players with the rest on the min $105k. That's without releasing anyone early, that would be a bonus. Obviously the young guys, of which we have a lot, will be one year older with 20+ NRL games more experience. That certainly won't hurt.

Next year I'd like to think we can finish around 12th, not a big step up the ladder, but be more competitive in more games. Ladder 11th at the moment is only 2 wins more than us, so it's not beyond belief that we could win a couple more games at this time next year.

Go Dogs