2019's focus should be 2020

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
We have no hope of making the finals in 2019. We are most likely going to get the wooden spoon.

For those two reasons alone, 2019's focus should now be on working on 2020.

1. The very large majority of the lower grade team should all be given several opportunities to play in first grade. Winning games in first grade in 2019 is now redundant. I don't believe we should any longer focus on getting our best team on the paddock week in, week out. Give the lower grades a taste of first grade and their team will be strengthened on the back of it while adding depth and experience to next year's squad possibilities.
2. Players who won't feature heavily in 2020 or possibly at all in 2021 should already begin to make some room for the lower grade players. Aiden Tolman is example number one. He's been a bloody good player, an excellent club man, a decent bloke and someone who always gives 100%. But I don't care about what money he's on and whether it's a waste playing him in the lower grades. Send him down there to teach the reggies what the NRL is all about and free up space in first grade for some younger steam trains to have a massive crack at it.
3. Become an innovative and adaptive team. The Walker brothers are the best examples of shaking things up. I don't see the Bulldogs with their current squad being able to play the same style of football as other teams, week in week out, because other teams will almost always have the edge, roster-wise. It's time to factor in a few more levels of unpredictability. I remember Shifty Brent Sherwin used to use a bit of unpredictability to crack open a game. One example being kicking for touch off a 20m restart instead of taking the tap. Other teams didn't expect it and it was just one action that led to a less committed and organised defensive structure mindset. I don't think Dean Pay has the necessary tactical brain to explore new ways of breaking down the defense but there are lots of creative minds in the current squad who can shake it up a bit. Hasler shook it up a bit by bringing back the short dropout and now many teams adopt it. Unpredictability needs to be a full bow, not just a string.

I don't care if we don't win a single game for the rest of 2019. I don't anticipate we will get rid of Dean Pay anytime soon and in all honesty, I think the most important thing he can do is to encourage the players and build their confidence. His current 'turnstile' approach of dropping players who are in form only to bring in replacements who need to adopt the current mundane 'game plans' is breaking spirits. It's time to get players on-board with an effort to give the lower players experience and the more experienced and soon to be retired players mentoring matches in the lower grades. It's time to start differentiating our team from the rest of the NRL and showing that we don't have to buy a premiership (eg Roosters) but we can win one from depth, leadership, attitude and creativity.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with most of the stuff you have quoted on here,Auden Tolman great clubman,and an honest toiler,but y in every set of six we see him with the ball,we have renouf,in lower grades can't get a run,until now,we need to explore other options for our future,maybe a new board next year may kickstart us again,I hope

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Although a Premiership win is the ultimate goal in the long term, I don't want this damn Wooden Spoon. Giving our younger guys a run now will do them good in the long run, but it would be a guaranteed Wooden Spoon for us.

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
Although a Premiership win is the ultimate goal in the long term, I don't want this damn Wooden Spoon. Giving our younger guys a run now will do them good in the long run, but it would be a guaranteed Wooden Spoon for us.
As much as I agree with you, I can't see any teams beating us in the race for the spoon anyway - whether we've got our top squad on the park or 10% - 20% reggies.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mathematically we could still sneak into the 8 provided we obviously win all our games and results go our way - will it happen? I dont think so.

The only issue i have with blooding alot of the youngsters is if any show promise they can ask for more money or they walk to another club and with the way our cap situation is atm its a high risk move.

I like the idea of being more innovative and unpredictable but i feel like this should be saved for a brand new season. Why show our hand now and have teams develop ways to counter these type of plays.
What the Walker brothers did with Ipswich team was amazing but remember that after all that glory they lost 6 players to the NRL.

We need to avoid the spoon at all costs and we need to put our best team out there on the paddock, once we are guaranteed to not have the spoon then yes why not have a team of rising youngsters.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That's what the end of 2018 was like and we had some good young players in form and some combos building and Pay just chopped and changed and fucked it all up

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
That's what the end of 2018 was like and we had some good young players in form and some combos building and Pay just chopped and changed and fucked it all up
I felt like some of our best football was played at the end of 2018 for the simple reason that players were no longer busting a gut for the finals. This is where the 'nuisance factor' comes in - teams who won't make the finals play good enough to cause upsets because the pressure has been released. Imagine telling the current squad that the pressure was off and that a plan for building depth and experience among the ranks along with building a Bulldogs-style of play was the focus..

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I like alot of OP. But it's a fine line between giving lower grade players the opportunity and destroying their confidence which is very likely if we get 20 or 30 put on us each game.

I also don't think Pay is the coach to encourage those players, under a new or interim coach yes.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree with most of the stuff you have quoted on here,Auden Tolman great clubman,and an honest toiler,but y in every set of six we see him with the ball,we have renouf,in lower grades can't get a run,until now,we need to explore other options for our future,maybe a new board next year may kickstart us again,I hope
Why are the halves or hooker giving him the ball? He's good for a hit up and needs to do short passes more, not hard, but shouldn't be touching the ball towards the end of the set when we're in the opposition's 20 (unless it's a tip on). I guess another thing is if you compare him to other top front rowers like Taupau and Fifita they actually look dangerous in front of the line, he's just not that player and never was? Tackle busting, power, speed?

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
I like alot of OP. But it's a fine line between giving lower grade players the opportunity and destroying their confidence which is very likely if we get 20 or 30 put on us each game.

I also don't think Pay is the coach to encourage those players, under a new or interim coach yes.
I agree with what you say - in the context of players getting the call-up and wearing the pressure of winning on their inexperienced shoulders.

The focus - that needs to be understood among the playing group and coaching staff - is that these players are following a game plan and playing to learn. If they run on the field knowing that they are there for professional development instead of being out there as the silver bullet to all of our problems and to win at all costs, it could keep them mentally strong and focused.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with what you say - in the context of players getting the call-up and wearing the pressure of winning on their inexperienced shoulders.

The focus - that needs to be understood among the playing group and coaching staff - is that these players are following a game plan and playing to learn. If they run on the field knowing that they are there for professional development instead of being out there as the silver bullet to all of our problems and to win at all costs, it could keep them mentally strong and focused.
Great post mate and welcome aboard BTW.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasn't been my experience, professional athletes like to win, that's why they play the game and when they aren't winning they get pissed off ............. a lot.

Go Dogs

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hasn't been my experience, professional athletes like to win, that's why they play the game and when they aren't winning they get pissed off ............. a lot.

Go Dogs
There's a difference between wanting to win and playing under the pressure of having to win or at least play well enough to hold down a permanent position in FG.
New players can still be blooded (3-4 FG games in 2019) and still give their absolute everything to win on the day - but without the pressure.
Current FG squad players would still comprise 80% - 90% of the run-on side so they wouldn't be feeling like they're in a team full of noobie muppets.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There's a difference between wanting to win and playing under the pressure of having to win or at least play well enough to hold down a permanent position in FG.
New players can still be blooded (3-4 FG games in 2019) and still give their absolute everything to win on the day - but without the pressure.
Current FG squad players would still comprise 80% - 90% of the run-on side so they wouldn't be feeling like they're in a team full of noobie muppets.
I think you need to talk to a few professional athletes, the most pressure they are under to win comes from within.

Go Dogs

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
You pick your best players availble that week for 1st grade full stop. The team needs to go out there every week trying to win games.
Those in reserves that are good enough for NRL will find themselves there soon enough.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
As much as I agree with you, I can't see any teams beating us in the race for the spoon anyway - whether we've got our top squad on the park or 10% - 20% reggies.
Maybe titans we have beat them once this year and their coach would be the only guy under as much or more pressure then Dean Pay atm..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe titans we have beat them once this year and their coach would be the only guy under as much or more pressure then Dean Pay atm..
I think Seibold might have a spot on that list (despite the respite last week courtesy of the Sharks), as well as Green. Their teams were expected to do well this year, some were tipping the Donkeys for the Premiership with the Cowboys certainties for a top 4 spot. We were expected top do about as well (bad) as we have. The Donkeys have also lost a pretty decent team of players for this year in Allan, Kahu, Opacic, KSims, Pearson, McGuire, Savelio, Nikorima and Roberts.

Go Dogs