2018 FIFA World Cup - Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Azarni needs to be starting and kruse needs a ticket back to Australia.

1-1 is pretty good but does that make it near impossible to make the finals?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

We need to beat Peru, France has to beat Peru tonight and beat Denmark next game.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

If France beat Peru later tonight they will go to 6 points. They play Denmark last round and if they decide they are both happy with a draw our result against Peru will be irrelevant. That’s what I’m worried about.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If France beat Peru later tonight they will go to 6 points. They play Denmark last round and if they decide they are both happy with a draw our result against Peru will be irrelevant. That’s what I’m worried about.
Oh fuck. I never thought of that.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No Timmy :o

That is a huge call, he brought on Barn Door Juric in the last 10mins when we had to go for it. A draw isn't a disaster but no one in this squad can finish in open play besides the veteran Cahill.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We are now relying on those over paid prima donnas in the French team good luck with that

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Peru are physically strong... France be lucky to beat them... well I hope they do for Aus sake...

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
a peru win over france is the best result, that means an australia win pretty much guarantees progress from the group

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
a peru win over france is the best result, that means an australia win pretty much guarantees progress from the group
Nah not necessarily. If Peru wins, they and France are level on 3 points with a 0 goal difference with Denmark on 4. If we beat Peru and France and Denmark draw, Denmark will be on 5 and us and France will be on 4 points. If France win they go to 6 then its us and Denmark on 4. Denmark would have to beat France and us beat Peru. France would stay on 3, Denmark to 7 and us on 4 in second but for all that to happen Peru have to beat France. Can't remember how they decide second place if two teams are tied on 4 points and an even goal difference?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Nah not necessarily. If Peru wins, they and France are level on 3 points with a 0 goal difference with Denmark on 4. If we beat Peru and France and Denmark draw, Denmark will be on 5 and us and France will be on 4 points. If France win they go to 6 then its us and Denmark on 4. Denmark would have to beat France and us beat Peru. France would stay on 3, Denmark to 7 and us on 4 in second but for all that to happen Peru have to beat France. Can't remember how they decide second place if two teams are tied on 4 points and an even goal difference?
its the goals scored then least yellow cards

no if denmark and france draw the last game that takes denmark out of reach for australia and if france dont lose here it will also take them out of reach, a peru win now guarantees that someone will be on 4 and we have the 2 goals scored so far (at least 3 with a win over peru, denmark would need to score 2 or more in a 1 goal loss, a peru 2 goal win definitely guarantees us through with a win)

Last edited:

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't really give a shit about longetivity in all honesty as it's the amazing shit players do at their peak that just makes you sit and awe in amazement.

But onto the other aspects of your post, What you have to consider is that cronaldo and messi were brought up during a period of extremely high sport science knowledge. Maradona worked hard in training but the sport science back then was shit.

A fabled story from his napoli days was that maradona was still out clubbing, So the napoli team started their training session without him.

Maradona turned up when the session finished and he told the coach that the team doesn't train without him, So the whole team trained again.

Yes a dick move but I'm highlighting his dedication to training.

But that longevity and consistency has a lot to do with sport science. Add in the fact the way people tackled maradona to the way they tackle messi or ronaldo. The game was a lot harsher back then. Maradona had a broken ankle from one of those tackles and at the time it was feared that was the end of his career.

Better goal scorer? Again sports science comes into Ronaldo and messi ridiculous output, also the shit defences of la liga

Maradona played when serie A dominated and defences had world class names to them. But what sets maradonas goal scoring as better for me was the unthinkable creativity he showed with some of his goals. Messi nor Ronaldo have not scored anywhere near the unthinkable goals maradona has.

Big game player and team leadership? Cronaldo is quoted as saying, about one of his Portuguese sides, they're shit and he can't win anything with them.

Compare to maradonas napoli or Argentina 86. Maradona dragged that Argentine side through every fucking game

And big game moments? Solo goal vs england best goal scored in football ever.

World cup final 2-2 vs west Germany, next minute beautiful one touch pass while surrounded by 4 west Germans to put his striker through for the winning goal.

Maradona GOAT
Longevity at the highest level is what separates the good from the great, to give such a prestigious title to someone (The Goat), they had to have proven it for a consistent period time that stretched to at least 8 years (Ronaldo has been doing it for 12 years at the highest level). We have seen plenty of class players have an amazing 2-3 seasons and then just drop off, but CR7 just turns up every single season and at the age of 33 he is still banging in more than 40+ goals a season.

Maradona might have scored a few spectacular goals but he also went missing a lot in games, missed a key penalty in the world cup against Yugoslavia and wasn't all that great in the 3/4 world cups he played (86 aside). I don't see how a man who didn't even win half as much as another in a sport with the end aim of winning can be regarded the greatest of all time. Sure he can be considered the greatest of his era, but when comparing the best of the best and they all have something special about them that separates them then the argument on who has the most achievements has to topple the rest.

Also I know that it was off the field, but the whole drug incident does have to be brought up, when your a professional athlete you have to meet certain standards and Maradona failed to meet them... more than once.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
wait i meant that a peru win would mean that a 2 goal australia win over peru guarantees us qualification, its a much better scenario than a france win now and hoping they dont rig it

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
its the goals scored then least yellow cards

no if denmark and france draw the last game that takes denmark out of reach for australia and if france dont lose here it will also take them out of reach, a peru win now guarantees that someone will be on 4 and we have the 2 goals scored so far (at least 3 with a win over peru, denmark would need to score 2 or more in a 1 goal loss, a peru 2 goal win definitely guarantees us through with a win)
Ah well none of it will matter if we don't get the win

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Ah well none of it will matter if we don't get the win
i think we can get the win against peru, i never got why they are supposedly better, all they do all day is get delusional on ayahuasca tbh, we are a much tougher team

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think we can get the win against peru, i never got why they are supposedly better, all they do all day is get delusional on ayahuasca tbh, we are a much tougher team
I do too. France are up 1-0 now tho so them and Denmark can't draw if they win this game. The football gods will have to be looking out for us for us to progress I think. Need to many results to go our way

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
France win 1-0
Need to beat Peru and France give it to Denmark
Not to much to ask

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it goes by goals scored if two teams are on 4 points, we would go through wouldn't we if we beat Peru 1-0 and France beats Denmark 1-0. Our F/A would be 3-3 and Denmark's would be 2-2 so obviously we have 3 goals to Denmark's 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.