2009 VS 2022

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been posted previously, but surely this years recruitment drive rivals or even beats 2009 if we get B Smith.
Here’s a comparison:

2009:
- Michael Ennis
- Brett Kimmorley
- Josh Morris
- Ben Hannant
- Michael Hodgson
- Bryson Goodwin
- David Stagg
- Greg Eastwood

2022:
- Matt Burton
- Josh Addo- Carr
- Matt Dufty
- Tevita Pangai Jr
- Brent Naden
- Paul Vaughn
- *Brandon Smith*

holy shit

Last edited:

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 was better. It setup the success of the 2004 premiership.
no... the success of our junior grades from the late 90's set up our 2004 success

1. Patten - recruited from the Dragons in 2001
2. El Masri - debuted with the club
3. Harris - debuted with the club
4. Tonga - recruited from the Eels in 2004
5. Utai - debuted with the club
6. Anasta - debuted with the club
7. Sherwin - debuted with the club
8. O'Meley - recruited from the Northern Eagles in 2002
9. Perry - debuted with the club
10. Mason - debuted with the club
11. Maria - debuted with the club
12. Ryan - recruited from the Eels in 2003
13. Grimaldi - recruited from the Dragons in the 90's before going to England and coming back to us

14. Hughes - debuted with the club
15. Asotasi - debuted with the club
16. Thurston - debuted with the club
17. SBW - debuted with the club

18. Price - debuted with the club

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been posted previously, but surely this years recruitment drive rivals or even beats 2009 if we get B Smith.
Here’s a comparison:

2009:
- Michael Ennis
- Brett Kimmorley
- Josh Morris
- Ben Hannant
- Michael Hodgson
- Bryson Goodwin

2022:
- Matt Burton
- Josh Addo- Carr
- Matt Dufty
- Tevita Pangai Jr
- Brent Naden
- Paul Vaughn
- *Brandon Smith*

holy shit
add Greg Eastwood and David Stagg to the 2009 recruitment drive

and we can't know yet until we see how we perform next year... for example, I thought this year's recruitment was very good at the beginning of the year... yet we have proven to be unwatchable

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Here’s a comparison:

2009:
- Michael Ennis
- Brett Kimmorley
- Josh Morris
- Ben Hannant
- Michael Hodgson
- Bryson Goodwin

2022:
- Matt Burton
- Josh Addo- Carr
- Matt Dufty
- Tevita Pangai Jr
- Brent Naden
- Paul Vaughn
- *Brandon Smith*

holy shit
Eastwood was an 09 signing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

and we can't know yet until we see how we perform next year... for example, I thought this year's recruitment was very good at the beginning of the year... yet we have proven to be unwatchable
Oh shit, Stagg also. I think 09 is better even if we nabbed Smith.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
no... the success of our junior grades from the late 90's set up our 2004 success

13. Grimaldi - recruited from the Dragons in the 90's before going to England and coming back to us

Tricky Trindal, Rauhihi, Patten, Vangana, Howland.

Agree but the recruitment of those players definitely helped, especially the outside backs in regards to scoring points.

Prior to that we probably had the slowest outside backs in the comp with Halligan, Talau, Hughes and Lester. Silva was the only player with speed.

We always depended on Halligans boot and grinded our way to victory.

Our premiership window opened up in 2001

We should have won it in 2002 but got our revenge in 04.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do a lot of people on TK keep putting Brandon Smith in the 2022 predictive squad...? Even a 1% chance is a stretch... I would live it to happen, but it ain't happening.
the guy who broke the TPJ and Dufty news just said yesterday we got him, so I don’t know about 1%

silva

Utility
Reaction score

this is the clubs biggest issue. What has happened to development and bringing quality kids over to the club. The last decent player we debuted who actually hit the ground running was Klemmer.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is the clubs biggest issue. What has happened to development and bringing quality kids over to the club. The last decent player we debuted who actually hit the ground running was Klemmer.
And Remis hahaha

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We need another big bench forward signing along with Smith and my vote is 2022

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Unless Smith is signed 09 is better, you got a great halfback, hooker, Morris was a far better prospect than Naden and very solid forwards that played together elsewhere.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Need the results of 09 to make it matter
But its certainly shaping up well..seems weve got some good players for next yr

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
09 is and pretty much always will be better, unless somehow in 2022 we manage to make the GF

We had an established spine and if Patten wasn't rubbed out as early as he was in the prelim that year the game wouldn't have gone the Eels way in my opinion, a forced shuffling at the last second over one of your most consistent performers is game breaking. Despite that setback we still led 12-6 at HT

Ennis and Kimmorley were established No.9s and No.7s. Burton has a long way to go, he has mountains of talent more than Kimmorley but at this stage in his career he isn't anywhere near the same level just yet, that might change next year.

The potential of our 22 squad really does far exceed our 09 one though. What we did in 09 was basically every single player in the squad firing all cylinders and we overachieved, if we had made the grand final i do believe we had a huge chance to beat the Storm as well, Parra were entirely reliant on one player and once he was shut down it was basically all over

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we won 4 Jersey Flegg GFs in 5 years during the late 90's and early noughties which then got picked apart by rival teams due to salary cap pressure

it did really seem like the club got discouraged from developing talent

silva

Utility
Reaction score
we won 4 Jersey Flegg GFs in 5 years during the late 90's and early noughties which then got picked apart by rival teams due to salary cap pressure

it did really seem like the club got discouraged from developing talent
I think during Des time the club neglected junior recruitment. We are seeing the fruits of that now. The board gave him all the control and he just wanted instant success. A great coach but wasn’t looking to the future. Probably didn’t think he’d stay for a long time

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
09 is and pretty much always will be better, unless somehow in 2022 we manage to make the GF

We had an established spine and if Patten wasn't rubbed out as early as he was in the prelim that year the game wouldn't have gone the Eels way in my opinion, a forced shuffling at the last second over one of your most consistent performers is game breaking. Despite that setback we still led 12-6 at HT

Ennis and Kimmorley were established No.9s and No.7s. Burton has a long way to go, he has mountains of talent more than Kimmorley but at this stage in his career he isn't anywhere near the same level just yet, that might change next year.

The potential of our 22 squad really does far exceed our 09 one though. What we did in 09 was basically every single player in the squad firing all cylinders and we overachieved, if we had made the grand final i do believe we had a huge chance to beat the Storm as well, Parra were entirely reliant on one player and once he was shut down it was basically all over
Still filthy they kneed two of our players out of that game.