2008 Official Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogs50

Justin..
Reaction score
lol forget about the changes, we all know Folkes wont have any dramatic changes to the core of this yrs side.. Basically, the only new faces we will see is Sullivan and a couple of young guys due to first grade injuries

Bring on Robbo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Steve Folkes needs to take a leaf out of Wayne Bennett's book. After a poor & inconsistant season in 2005 wayne did a complete clean out of support staff & trainers, started 2006 fresh & re-invented with new ideas and the broncos when on to win the premiership. Only injuries cruel their season this year.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
so does he sack campbell(strength and conditioning coach) and clyde(manager)?

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
bott and nani need to be considered..roberts..hes gotta be on notice BIG TIME!..sherwin too..

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Patten
R.Millard
D.Millard
Tonga
Heka
Roberts
Groom
Hickey
Sullivan
Mason
SBW
Ryan
Maitua

Clark
Armit
Koups
Te Maari

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
groom will play halfback next year
i also think bobcat may go to front row as well.
tsoulos, if he can stay fit, will be a revelation for us. he is big
skillful and has a bit of cnut in him as well.
sullivan will provide the spark off the bench we have
severely lacked this season.

Terry Mortimer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
one thing is for sure sherwin will have to produce if he is going to get another contract. i am expecting more from him being a contract year next year. it is going to free up some funds.
Aaron Groome will take Sherwins cash

Number13

Management
Reaction score
one thing is for sure sherwin will have to produce if he is going to get another contract. i am expecting more from him being a contract year next year. it is going to free up some funds.
BD,

Your point with Sherwin is interesting. I believe he will not get an extension. In saying this keep a close eye on next year as we will be bidding for a number 7. I don't beliece Roberts is the answer either. He plays OK but when it matters he falls in pieces.

Eel83

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wintana needs to come in for that crap millard. You need to find a half back. Joe Willams would have been a cheap buy to try out for the year or even seymour until somone better comes into the market. If Utai gets back to his 04 form he will be great but if not, a tall quick winger will need to be sought after to give your halfback someone to bomb to. Also up the middle youve got the ball runners but you need quicker defenders with ligter feet to make up for last year loss of asotasi. Hickey, armit, omealy, perry were very porr in this defensive area this year.

berryman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1.Luke Patten
2.Hazem El Masri
3.Ben Roberts
4.Willie Tonga
5.Matt Utai
6.Nick Kouparitsis
7.Brent Sherwin / Aaron Groom
8.Chris Armit
9.Corey Hughes
10.Willie Mason
11.Sonny Bill Williams
12.Andrew Ryan (c)
13.Reni Maitua

14.Michael Sullivan
15.Lee Te Maari
16.Fred Briggs
17.Justin Tslolous

roberts in the centres to replace millard, he is a great ball runner not a ball player. Would be great to have running wide and coming out of dummyhalf early in the set.

I've said it before but i think koups would be good in 5/8, he can ball play and run, maybe a bit like anasta when he was here... not sure if he'd have a kicking game???

I think a bench with Te Maari and Sullivan would have great impact as they are versatile

DOGG STIEL

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There is no way that Holdsworth is up to first grade standards as a half or 5/8. The same applies for Corey Hughes in the Hooker role. I have no doubt that Holdsworth will be released from the club either in the offseason or early next year. There was some talk that he already sought a release but his manager couldnt get any interest from other NRL clubs or from the UK....possibly why he is in reserve grade at the Dogs. My 17 for next year:

1.Patten
2.Phelps (Elmasri to retire mid season)
3.Millard
4.Tonga
5.Utai
6.Roberts
7.Sherwin (still the best playmaker at the club by a mile)
8.Mason.
9.Sullivan
10.Hickey
11.Williams
12.Ryan
13.Maitua
14.Kouparitsis
15.Te Maari
16. Armit
17. Macilwain (hooker rotation for Sullivan)

Corey Hughes will find his way into reserve grade next year.

In general i really dont think massive changes are needed to the team. We were severely effected by the rep season and injuries this year and were chopping and changing our team every week which didnt help. We also need to fix up our defensive style. Shoulder charges and big hits dont work anymore. We ned to learn to wrestle the man in the tackle and lock up the ball so the opposition cant scoot out of dummy half every second tackle.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think we need to make changes, i would take a hard year of blooding youngsters if it means we are building to somthing

my team for next season, we can't survive with short wingers anymore

and willie T is gonna leave soon, so i don't see why we should put up with his errors

1 patten
2 nanai
3 millard
4 roberts
5 winitana
6 barba
7 groom
8 armit
9 hughes/clarke ( all depends if clarke is ready )
10 mason ©
11 koups
12 bobcat
13 sonny

14 sullivan
15 leano
16 maitua
17 te maari

hickey was solid early but since then he has been rubbish and provides no impact, leano is a bit of an unknown but i think he can make an impact of the bench

i would probally think about fitting in cleal aswell

Gaddy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is the team that we should focus on:

1.Luke Patten
2.Heka Nanai
3.Tim Winitana
4.Willie Tonga
5.Matt Utai
6.BEN Barba - Why wait other teams have made a mock of our grading policy !
7.Ben Roberts
8.Andrew Ryan
9.Sherwin ( Fits the Cameron Smith type of role)
10.Willie Mason
11.Sonny Bill Williams
12.Nick Kouparatis
13.Reni Maitua

14.Michael Sullivan
15.Lee Te Maari
16.Charlie Leano
17.Daryl Millard ( into the back row for mine similar to Ben Creagh )

Ian Millward - Coach

Billy Johnson - Trainer

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wonder we had so many Members joining in the past 2 Weeks... Great to see the Forum continuistly Growing as it does everyday.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyways, 2007 for the Dogs was probably both a year to admire & celebrate. I mean you did have some stunning matches & come-backs & also showed just how good you can be when it's really needed.

Yeah, you did loose to a Rival but that's how League is nowadyas. I mean in this Season we saw some Big Clubs Fall & other clubs like Roosters really Improve. Plus clubs Manly have shocked many in actually being in Grand Finals Contention for the first Time since 1997.

In My opinion, both the Eels & Bulldogs have some more good Seasons coming up in the next 2-4 NRL Years & sure there's going to be the sh*t monets & the moments your going to want to relive forever but hey, atleast both clubs like ours didn't end up like the Panthers...

Pup_Ingham

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Pattern
2. El Masri
3. Millard/Roberts/Witana
4. Tonga
5. Utai/Bott
6. Holdsworth
7. Sherwin
8. Ryan
9. Hughes
10. Mason
11. Williams
12. Kouparitsas/Tee Maari
13. Maitua
Interchange:
14. Sullivan
15. Kouparitas/Tee Maari
16. Leano/Armit/Tsulos/Hickey/Keal
17. Leano/Armit/Tsulos/Hickey/Keal

if the halves dont seem to work we need to blood groom and possibly barba but no way roberts hes not a 5-8 i think centre or possibly even hooker!

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Ryan at prop lmaooo no chance, see what happened when they tried to that with Fitzgibbon at the roosters, will not work.

K

kennyy

1.Patten
2.El Masri
3.Crisp
4.Tonga
5.Utai
6.Millard
7.Holdsworth
8.Leano
9.Sherwin
10.Mason
11.Williams
12.Ryan
13.Maitua

14.Sullivan
15.Tslolous
16.Nick Kouparitsas
17.Lee Te Maari

:o what a team.

Crisp probably wont see first grade next year. He is a work in progress.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
mason to the second row..were he is most effective.SBW one 2nd row ryan to lock..start either maitua or koups with the other on the bench??..what about that one people??

Status
Not open for further replies.