2 Wins - Both Times Meaney At Fullback

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke Patten was the same back in the day. If we can Meaney should be retained as depth. If the storm are interested we will find it very hard to keep him.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm just saying.

In both wins - V's Sharks & Dragons, Meaney was a late change to fullback with DWZ being ruled out of the game.
He is by far & away our best option at Fullback in our current squad.
I thought he played really well yesterday and enhanced his chances of a new contract IMO.

"IF" he comes back, DWZ must go to the wing.
Totally agree. We didn't even miss DWZs "hard runs from the back", as meaney ran for over 200m anyway. He is safe as houses under the high ball too, and didnt make a single mistake. So yeah, miles better then DWZ at the back.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney
Trbojevic
Papenhuyzen
Tedesco
Latrell
Gutherson
Ponga
Walsh/RTS
Brimson
Holmes
CNK
Edwards
Laurie
Kennedy
Dufty
Isaako
This is true, but the cap dictates where you spend your money, so with Meaney already an option at the back, we spend the money where it is better needed. Hooker, and prop.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Kangaroos in AFL were in similar position as the Dogs coming into this weekend. Only one win & getting flogged most matches. The Kangaroos colours are also Blue & White. They played the Giants who were expected to win easily & hopefully sneak into the Top 8. The giants colours are Orange. What colour do you get when mixing Red & White...? Omen or not, had to put some money on Dogs & now I am laughing.
Red and white makes pink bro! You probably learnt this in kindy. Lol

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is true, but the cap dictates where you spend your money, so with Meaney already an option at the back, we spend the money where it is better needed. Hooker, and prop.
By that logic isn't it better to try make Allen work because he's actually on contract next year then re-sign another mediocre fullback?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Those rankings are pretty close to the mark. But I think Gutherson down quite a few rungs. He's not as good as he thinks he is.
Gutho's a gun....I think Ponga is the one who is too high, personally.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It helps when we don't make 1 (at least) dumb error we've become used to. A lot of that main culprets weren't in the side or played limited minutes. Meaney safe as houses but needs to get more involved and have more good moments throughout a game (was better than average yesterday, like a lot of players). I love him as a back-up.

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
Meany ran for 220 meters which was impressive

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
His run metres were 191 in yesterday's game? - not bad at all!

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your spot on.

IMO, he has the potential to be as good as our premiership winning Fullback Luke "The General" Patten.

The General never played for the Blues or for the Kangaroo's, but I wouldn't have changed him for anyone at the time - safe as houses.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Kangaroos in AFL were in similar position as the Dogs coming into this weekend. Only one win & getting flogged most matches. The Kangaroos colours are also Blue & White. They played the Giants who were expected to win easily & hopefully sneak into the Top 8. The giants colours are Orange. What colour do you get when mixing Red & White...? Omen or not, had to put some money on Dogs & now I am laughing.
red & White = pink

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your spot on.

IMO, he has the potential to be as good as our premiership winning Fullback Luke "The General" Patten.

The General never played for the Blues or for the Kangaroo's, but I wouldn't have changed him for anyone at the time - safe as houses.
It comes down to the balance of your team. So if you have enough creativity elsewhere, like we did back then with Sherwin, anasta, Thurston, and power up front with Omeley, Mason, SBW, Price, Asotasi etc etc, then you can manage very well with just a safe fb. Granted, the game has changed a lot since then, but I think we can manage ok with Burton, avo, JAC etc.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney could be a good full back , but he lacks one thing that some of the better full backs do and that is instinct for support play. If he can develop his ability to be a support players up through the middle then I see a lot of upside in his game.

Malla

Reaction score
Did a bit of research in regards to this topic for full transparency.

Meaney has started a total 20 games over 3 years for us at fullback. Of those 20 games, we have won 6.

6 from 20 is a whopping win rate of 30%

We have lost 70% of the games Meaney has started fullback.

1. He is not the answer
2. He is definitely not the reason we won yesterday
3. Give credit do the forward pack. You all been spitting on them all year, the one game they all stepped up collectively and won the middle you want to give credit to a fringe first grader lol