2 Wins - Both Times Meaney At Fullback

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a bit of research in regards to this topic for full transparency.

Meaney has started a total 20 games over 3 years for us at fullback. Of those 20 games, we have won 6.

6 from 20 is a whopping win rate of 30%

We have lost 70% of the games Meaney has started fullback.

1. He is not the answer
2. He is definitely not the reason we won yesterday
3. Give credit do the forward pack. You all been spitting on them all year, the one game they all stepped up collectively and won the middle you want to give credit to a fringe first grader lol
LOL

Waldo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We need to retain him, he has good support play, possesses speed and footwork and if safe under the high ball, playing fullback h don’t need to make a tremendous amount of tackles and I’m sure his defence is better then Dufty who half the kennel started frothing over… played like shit on Monday haha

Waldo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The only reason I wouldn’t retain him is if the club is gonna put Avo there and play like Burton and Wakeham in the halves

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It makes no sense to have both Allen and Meaney, they will assume the same roll in next years team, Allen has 2 more years which is why Meaney will probably move on.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that his name Look Pattern.

I’ll explain what I mean by my statement seeing as you are a dumb ****: Meaney is already 24 years old, and hasn’t had a single great game, only a few ‘good’ games. Meanwhile there’s many young players killing it, Reece Walsh, Laurie, Latrell Mitchell (yeah they are the same age) that we don’t sign because we are too patient with these duds. I think potential is a tag that you need to stop if you are a 24 year old with 50 games under your belt.
Dude we could not sign the players you mentioned for a few reasons. I will list a few
Inept management
The cap was fucked
The Bulldogs Brand stunk like shit and decent players would not come near us
Pay as coach. See above.

Meaney is one of the guys that are great for the team. He is on low wages, he fills in across the backline. He does what is asked of him.
Not to mention Meaney has improved more under Barrett than his entire time with the club.

Given time in the fullback role he would be a very good fullback.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
oh let’s be honest, at the time if you had a choice to have either minichello As our number 1 or patten you wouldn’t pick mini?

take your blue and white goggles off. Your forgetting how good minichello was in the early 2000’s that’s not even including Darren Lockyer
I'd have taken Patten. Patten's only fault was he used to watch the ball go over the dead ball line & got caught sometimes.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd have taken Patten. Patten's only fault was he used to watch the ball go over the dead ball line & got caught sometimes.
no way. There was a reason patten never played a rep game because he was not an elite fullback. Good first grader but no not better then Lockyer or mini.
that would be like saying meaney is better then teddy lol

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
no way. There was a reason patten never played a rep game because he was not an elite fullback. Good first grader but no not better then Lockyer or mini.
that would be like saying meaney is better then teddy lol
Played for NSW Country 3 times & selected as 19th man for NSW in 2009.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Played for NSW Country 3 times & selected as 19th man for NSW in 2009.
Anyway I don’t won’t to turn this into a you think patten is an immortal I think he was rubbish discussion because I’m sure it not what we both think.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a bit of research in regards to this topic for full transparency.

Meaney has started a total 20 games over 3 years for us at fullback. Of those 20 games, we have won 6.

6 from 20 is a whopping win rate of 30%

We have lost 70% of the games Meaney has started fullback.

1. He is not the answer
2. He is definitely not the reason we won yesterday
3. Give credit do the forward pack. You all been spitting on them all year, the one game they all stepped up collectively and won the middle you want to give credit to a fringe first grader lol
Please do not research win/loss ratio of Lewis in the team.
You will have half the kennel blowing thier loads abd mesding thier panties

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
nsw country hmm
I would love to see what other players made that team.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyway I don’t won’t to turn this into a you think patten is an immortal I think he was rubbish discussion because I’m sure it not what we both think.
I certainly don't think he was an immortal, but I thought he was better than Minichiello, just my opinion.

eman & the Utai SLAM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We're so reactionary with this kind of stuff.

Play it out if we retain Meaney for his full career and develop him. Where does he rank?

Trbojevic
Papenhuyzen
Tedesco
Latrell
Gutherson
Ponga
Walsh/RTS
Brimson
Holmes
CNK
Edwards
Laurie
Kennedy
Dufty
Isaako
If you don't have him in that bottom 4, you're kidding yourself. Good kid, solid - but very limited.
Wow. That’s a very intelligent way to put it. Far from the usual slanging I see on TK, thats a critical post but really well put.

You’ve changed my mind on Meaney, he is a good footballer but better on the wing and a backup to an injured gun fullback. The salary cap prevents every position being superstars so I’d keep him as 1st grade team player but not retain him on fullback money.

eman & the Utai SLAM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Meaney could be a good full back , but he lacks one thing that some of the better full backs do and that is instinct for support play. If he can develop his ability to be a support players up through the middle then I see a lot of upside in his game.
Hetherington has made 2-3 good offloads since he’s returned from suspension. I really noticed that supprt play is non existent or flat footed, we did score a try off the next play but yeah our fullbacks dwz meaney need to do better

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow. That’s a very intelligent way to put it. Far from the usual slanging I see on TK, thats a critical post but really well put.

You’ve changed my mind on Meaney, he is a good footballer but better on the wing and a backup to an injured gun fullback. The salary cap prevents every position being superstars so I’d keep him as 1st grade team player but not retain him on fullback money.
Yeah if he's happy to take under 200k and play back up FB then I'd be happy to retain him, the problem is though that we have Corey Allen on the cap who most likely takes that role.

Dan2

Waterboy
Reaction score
Meaney is the type of player we need. Plays No Frills football. He is not going to be a superstar but he is going to put ina 7.5 out 10 performance every game. Solid, reliable and most important Professional. There is a reason Melbourne are interested.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ah yes here they all are

Anyone saying Meaney should be fullback or even retained for anything please keep talking