15000 Members Standing Proud in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So the NRL as a whole started the whole membership drive about 10 years ago (I remember, I used to work for a company who was outsourced this back in 07!).

And back then the focus was that the only way they can get sustainable income, is from memberships. That one day, in a perfect world, grants from the NRL would be a thing of the past. I even recall meeting Daryl Millard and Bobcat coming out to visit us, and tell us what it meant to them as a club.

10 years on, and one thing absolutely puzzles me... Memberships are probably double that of what they were 10 years ago.. give or take. Yet - crowds are nowhere near doubled in terms of numbers.

It's a fickle thing. I honestly do not ever think we will see the numbers of an NRL game increase past the 25 k average attendance. There is so much wrong with the league, it is crazy.

It would be interesting to see membership numbers then (07) and now (17) and compare them to average crowd figures as well!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Can't say I'm surprised with the lower numbers and tbh I thought it was going to be less that what it is at the moment.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
So the NRL as a whole started the whole membership drive about 10 years ago (I remember, I used to work for a company who was outsourced this back in 07!).

And back then the focus was that the only way they can get sustainable income, is from memberships. That one day, in a perfect world, grants from the NRL would be a thing of the past. I even recall meeting Daryl Millard and Bobcat coming out to visit us, and tell us what it meant to them as a club.

10 years on, and one thing absolutely puzzles me... Memberships are probably double that of what they were 10 years ago.. give or take. Yet - crowds are nowhere near doubled in terms of numbers.

It's a fickle thing. I honestly do not ever think we will see the numbers of an NRL game increase past the 25 k average attendance. There is so much wrong with the league, it is crazy.

It would be interesting to see membership numbers then (07) and now (17) and compare them to average crowd figures as well!
Pet memberships, baby memberships, interstate memberships, overseas memberships, refugee memberships etc. Most are bullshit memberships thst inflate the real number which goes some way to explain the poor turnout.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
How many are actually full season ticketed members?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100% true
An 80 dollar baby pet or country memberships contribute to the tally
If Belmore isn't a sell out then they are in trouble

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last years game vs cows at Belmore drew a very poor crowd
There wasn't even half the stadium full
That's how boring we were playing
And don't give me that thurs night shit
Our first game vs Melb was a Monday night and was sold out
Same shit

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last years game vs cows at Belmore drew a very poor crowd
There wasn't even half the stadium full
That's how boring we were playing
And don't give me that thurs night shit
Our first game vs Melb was a Monday night and was sold out
Same shit
The hype was there for the first game though.

I personally think it should only be 1 game a year at Belmore. Same thing happened to the Tigers when they returned to Leichhardt. Sold out every game for a few seasons and then the love was lost.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You the same person that said we won't reach 10,000? there were quite a few of them mid October 2016 let me tell you!!
I was one of the thousands of suckers who had their membership on auto renewal without realising. And like the sucker i am i kept it. Otherwise i wouldn't have re-signed.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hype was there for the first game though.

I personally think it should only be 1 game a year at Belmore. Same thing happened to the Tigers when they returned to Leichhardt. Sold out every game for a few seasons and then the love was lost.
I think 2 Bemore games are OK,this is our old home.
There is no reason not to have 20,000 twice a year,we just have to be playing attractive footy and winning games.
Our club plays enough at ANZ,not to mention 4 away games there.

N

Natboy

It was nice to return to Belmore but I'd be happy if we only played a game there every 5-10 years

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How many are actually full season ticketed members?
Who gives a fuck? the more members the better, makes our club strong and ensures we stay in touch with a very competitive market place, Eels, Dragons, Wests Tigers and to a certain extent the Cocks and the Bunnies so, if we have people on this forum doing their best to discourage people from becoming members then they are basically shitting on our club.
Love all those knobs who stated over the last 5 months or so that should they recieve a call from Des, Raelene or anyone else representing the club chasing up new and old members that would tell them to shove their membership up their ASS are all full of shit, I say Bullshit..... if the one or two people did manage to have the balls to do it? then I certainly do not want to associated with these drop kicks so in saying that, these few parasites need to fuck off and support someone else.
I hope what I did see is correct this afternoon? that the membership has now jumped to 16000 thank you very much.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Someone who buys a 3 game membership is classified as a member.. Load of bullshit

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Someone who buys a 3 game membership is classified as a member.. Load of bullshit
Why do you say this oh bright one! we are better of having that kind of member than that same member joining another club do you not think? that just goes to show you how competitive it in the so called inner western suburbs of Sydney. Do yo have any other ideas the club could use to gain more members other than "win a premiership" of course, had to add that in because of some smart ass's trying to slip that one in.

dean_aus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we are going to argue about which type of members are counted we have must remember these members have always been counted. It's not like they have just been included this year.

I remember I was criticised greatly when I showed excitement when I started this thread last year.

I hope people may have come around with kickoff next week. Go the mighty Berries.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we are going to argue about which type of members are counted we have must remember these members have always been counted. It's not like they have just been included this year.

I remember I was criticised greatly when I showed excitement when I started this thread last year.

I hope people may have come around with kickoff next week. Go the mighty Berries.
I have very little that excites me in life .
Having missionary Des at the helm is just as exciting as the Saturday night shag with your spouse but its still enough to make me want to chuck a sickie on Friday the 3rd of march ;)

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That's a pretty legitimate question and I'd be interested too
Why is that important? It is the number of bums on seats each week that counts and the Dogs are the biggest in Sydney. Have been for years and will be for many more years to come. I've paid for 10 memberships every year for ages. They have changed classification that many times over the years I can't remember whether they are gold, rose gold or platinum or whatever. I do know they are behind the visitors on the halfway line and that is all that matters. Interesting though is that I hardly ever sit with the same people. So some members can't make most games and let their friends use them. That's fine, as they should, but my point is that it is still someone who likes the game and the Dogs who turns up and isn't that the most important bit of all this. Yes, I know souths hand out memberships with lollipops to indigenous communities all over the country and their dogs and cats but that is why they don't draw crowds to their games. We do and that is because our membership/ fan base is genuine. We keep getting more people joining the club so something must be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.