10 metres rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
i know we have all heard enough about the ref..
how he cost us the game and so on and so on..

but one thing that sticks in my mind and hasnt been mentioned...

half way through the second half we were penalised for being off side..
it looked fair at first as we were about 1 metre in front of the ref
then i looked again..
the cowboy playing the ball was about 36 metres out from our line
and the ref was on our 20 metre line..
our boys were at least 14 metres back and still penalised..

he dead set brought us back 16 metres and penalised us for only giving them 15 metres....
watch the replay and look for your self..
ive seen it 7 times now and its still clear as day

its only 10 fuking dikhead

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
that does not surprise me

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
No wonder the cowboys win. Taking us back 14 or so metres consistantly plays right into the cowboys game plans.

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the refs this year have been reffing 10-15m to make sure the players are back 10. That is why at so many games you hear booing as if the players are offside when in fact they aren't.

This works fine as long as they dont penalise.

grk_adonis

THIS IS ANFIELD!
Reaction score
That is always the case in every game...the refs go back further than the 10 but they penalise for being in front...i dnt get it...all they have to do run back to the same position as the tack but just in the next rectangle (10m)...if its halfway between the 20 and the 30, then the defence should be taken back to halfway between 10 and the 20...SIMPLE!!

nasals

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's the point: NOT the Cowboys. Nor, their NOT marking up square. NOT ONCE.

So true. Also the big teams like Melbourne, Manly and the Cowboys are the ones that getaway with it. The ref has a big say in who wins and who loses, this is why I believe that any team in the top 6 can win IF they are given a fair go and ref'd equally.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
With the lack of class referee,s in the comp does this mean we could have a rigged finals series? The Refs need some serious training and fast,this is not Jersey Flegg.

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
like last years grand final...
with webcke leaving
the storm never had a chance

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have noticed this for a while TBH.

Refs are leaving margin for a much fatter 10. I think they are trying to compensate for the speed of line now. Seems BS really.

Watch a Refs 10 meters from now on. They always go at least 12-13 meters back, unless they are directly on the line.

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
i know jaybee

but we were penalised for being back 15 metres..

its like getting a SPEEDING fine for doing 50 in a 60 zone...

and the cowboys were back 8 metres a dozen times and never penalised

W

Willie Talol'd

Shouldnt someone complain? Refs these days are ******s, only a handful that are good...

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shouldnt someone complain? Refs these days are ******s, only a handful that are good...
Something we might want to take into account is the speed of the game. You have a split second to set your 10 from when the player is tackled. A massive problem if you take the time to watch play the balls is this...

Player is tackled.
Then milks a couple of meters making the 10 look short.
Instead of 10 you have 8 or even 7.
Refs look bad and crowd wants a penalty.
TV networks don't want too many penalties to spoil game
Refs in turn take them back a little more to combat this.

We went over this at the start of the year and it isn't just Dogs games you will notice it in. In reality the ptb has become a joke. You get tackled and rise to your feet where you are tackled and play the ball.

At the end of the day it is the coaches and players who have caused this problem. Look at how the second markers back off before the ball is played as well. In some instances as the ball clears the back heel the second marker is almost 4 or 5 yards away from the first marker which by law would suggest a penalty to the team with the ball back 10 meters as the second marker was never really marking by law.

What we have to realise is the NRL is a multi-million dollar business and the actual football is second string rubbish made for TV fans.

I know it can be frustrating for some of you but there is alot more involved to all this and I could probably write alot more about. Markers, 10 meters and the ptb are areas that would take alot more time to go over well.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
THe penalty we copped against us when Jason Smith walked 2 - 3 metres off his mark forwards, and then placed the ball behind Hickey's foot to make it look like Hickey was messing with the play the ball area annoyed me especially.

You watch the video and Smith was tackled on or before the 30 or 40 m line. He then steals 3 metres and earns the penalty while Hickey was clearly not trying to get tangled up.

It annoys me that Simpkins was too stupid to realise it, or at least the touchies on the side should give him a call coz they can see it easily.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It annoys me that Simpkins was too stupid to realise it, or at least the touchies on the side should give him a call coz they can see it easily.
They do know it happens that is the thing.

In QLD Cup they use the term "You shortened it" when players take that extra 2 or 3 meters off the mark. It makes the 10 look short and oftne puts the markers offside as well.

When you sit back and watch the science of the game instead of the spectacle you can learn alot more about how it all works. Some of it is much more complex black and white rulings.

Status
Not open for further replies.