“I’m the one that made the decision” - Gus

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
If Corey waddel keeps getting picked it means ultimate control still lies with Trent ‘Ayri’ Barrett.

when he is dropped it means Gus has taken over full selection control.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t need to listen to the podcast. I know exactly what has happened. Barrett’s appalling mismanagement of Flano last year caused the poor kid to spiral into depression, and now Gus has to micro manage him. good on Gus for looking after Flano, but he should not be defending Barrett, who has done a shocking job on every level.

I called this last year, long before it was in the press. Just another case if Flanagun being right, and you guys all being horribly wrong.

You dont know your head from your ass.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course it’s possible Gus has fabricated all this, but listening to the podcast it sounded mostly genuine.

Certainly a lot more genuine than the 360 pelicans. The same pelicans responsible for the drone bullshit. The same pelicans that reckon Flanno didn’t preseason with FG at all, even though there’s social media photos and video evidence to the contrary. The same pelicans that repeated the same bullshit over two nights with no new information just so they could rag on the dogs.

Anasta getting all high and mighty about cuddling halves? It’s that kind of bullshit that led to him acting like absolute king shit as a player and being repeatedly voted most overrated player by fellow players.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
While Kyle is getting this special treatment we've just had 2 young halves dumped after only 2 games each LOL. The place is a fucking shambles if this is all actually true. Gus does what Gus wants and i've heard first hand how he operates with certain players, so yes i think it's possible he wouldn't do the same for others players.
they are not dumped mate both named in the line up to play first grade this week. Please don’t make up crap to make your agenda sound more spectacular.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I remember Gus talking about his philosophy about playing FG and he’s quite old school in the sense that you need to play your age group and kill it before moving up to the next level. It’s why Flanno has had to kill it in Reggie’s (which he has) to be able to now play FG. With no cup the last two seasons there’s no wonder Averillo/ Wakeham/ BBO/ Flanagan aren’t out and out FG halves yet. Add in the terrible team we had trotted out in 2020/21 and there was no real opportunity for the team to gel.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Keeping it short;

Anasta is just keeping the seat warm for when Yvonne Sampson returns from maternity leave. He‘s overreaching trying to get noticed, so that he has a gig after he gets the flick. He is the designated host, the other wankers are trying to walk all over him and as a result he’s fighting back and too often getting himself way in over his head. Often less is more Braith, a lesson hard learned.

Gould is the farkin GM of Football, hello, of course he can exert control whenever he sees the need for it, from Under 14’s to NRL, so yes, he is the top dog. Plainly he saw a need in KFlanagan’s situation to step in and manage a mental state together with multiple others contributing, that’s what good managers do.

A number of times several of us who have watched KFlanagan play throughout his career pointed out that he can do the things a halfback needs to do, there is no lack of football ability. Plainly Gould has a similar opinion otherwise why bother managing his progress back to being able to display that in the NRL. He has done what any good manager would do, now it’s up to the player.

As GM of Football Gould can do things that the coaching staff can’t, plus he has personal personal experiences and a wide reach of contacts that he can draw on whenever he sees the need. I will repeat, we are so fortunate to have him.

Always a Bulldog

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shame that Gould has to tell us, word for word, what took place between him and Flanagan. Some of it should remain personal as it goes to Flanagan's character, unless Kyle was happy for Gould to put it into the public arena. He sounds a bit too immature for a first grade player.

I will watch the game with interest, but will not expect anything different in Flanagan's first game against a red hot Panthers side, which will target him and Burton all day.

If we go down by less than 44 points, I'll call that a success.

Barrett needs to leave Flanagan in the team now, so he and the team can develop.

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gus is a legend. His smarts are streets ahead of everyone else. I’m glad he is back at our club. We will be ok as long as he sticks around.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett wants Averillo as HB... Gould has told him to trial all the young halves at the club to see who stays and who goes.
Gould is working the squad.
Barrett has no power on who stays or who goes.
Barrett is the new D.Pay
thats a good thing, gould has been doing this alot longer than trent, and would have a much more impartial view of the players as opposed to trent and his favourites. whether trent asked for this or not, i'm glad that gus is over his shoulder making sure correct decisions are made

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anasta should step down and give another Journo the role. It's a shame Fox sports don't give the Indigenous journos a spot.
Hes a washed up footy player with a big mouth and a conflict of interest with his 'player manager' bullshit, unwatchable TV

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope Kyle goes well but wow the pressure that the journos, and maybe a leaking Dad, have put him under is huge.

It's really getting to the point where it's unworkable and a no win situation for all concerned.

Depending on how he goes, and if badly, it may get to the situation where all parties are at a crossroad and agree to negotiate a release.
if no comments had been made on him playing this week, he gets named and he just goes out there and plays football. we win then great, we lose.. well thats the expectation anyway. no issue, no 'duty of care' crap. instead, the media blow up his selection in the team so far out of proportion and THEY are the ones that make it a big deal and increase the pressure on him as now everybody will be watching him way more closely as an individual instead of us as a team. Yet the media have the hide to accuse us of 'throwing him to the wolves'. Go figure right?

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's insane. Who offered that, TABs work experience kid?
yeah i know - sportsbet's got the market on. it was too hard to pass up, as much as i want us to do well and score points, i do love money :tearsofjoy: