News ‘Who is actually running this team?’: Bulldogs under scrutiny after Gus admits to Flanagan call

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Questions have been raised around who is running the Bulldogs team this season - coach Trent Barrett or general manager Phil Gould.

Gould revealed this week that Barrett had to sort his permission to pick halfback Kyle Flanagan for the Dogs’ clash against Penrith on Sunday.

Flanagan, who Gould also said is the club’s highest-paid playmaker, was not selected in the opening four rounds of the season.

Barrett went with Jake Averillo for the first two rounds before axing him in favour of Brandon Wakeham.

But after losing 44-0 to the Storm last week, the Bulldogs have changed their halves again - this time with Flanagan coming in to partner Matt Burton.

“It’s not Trent Barrett who has made a decision on when he comes back to first grade,” Gould told WWOS.

“Trent wanted him in the side, but he came and asked me for permission to do it. I could have easily said no if I didn’t think he was ready. I said yes.”

Gould also revealed that he had a two-hour meeting with Flanagan after the trials.

“I said at the moment, ‘I don’t think the NRL is the place for you, I don’t think you can help the team and you can’t help them at the moment. But we need to reset you career and that could mean some time in reserve grade’,” Gould said.

Flanagan has been impressive for the undefeated Dogs in New South Wales Cup over the past month. Last week he scored a try, set up another, ran for 135 metres and had two linebreaks.

“I applaud Trent Barrett for making the call but the comments from Phil Gould... now they were interesting,” SMH journalist Adam Pengilly told Big Sports Breakfast radio on Friday.

“For him to come out and say I’ve been handling Kyle Flanagan this whole pre-season and I’ll determine when he comes back to first grade, Trent Barrett almost seems like he’s call Gus to ask permission to pick Kyle Flanagan.

“Now for me, the question has got to be asked, who is actually running this team?”

Rugby League great Laurie Daley responded by saying he believes Gould is simply protecting the club.

“I think it was a double play by Gus, I think it’s Gus taking the pressure off Trent,” Daley said.

“I’ve got no doubt that Gus would be looking at Kyle Flanagan and Trent would be stupid not to utilise him and (Gould’s) ability to be able to tell when a player is ready.

“I think in the off-season they would have discussed what was the best way forward for Kyle and Baz probably said ‘I don’t think he’s ready to play’ and Gus would have said well I’ll have a look at him, I’ll watch him, I’ll talk to him and help develop him along with what you guys do on the field and when we think he’s ready to play I’ll let you know.

“I think that’s how it has unfolded and I reckon Trent would be stupid not to take the advice of Gus.

“But also Gus is being very smart in taking the pressure off Trent because he’s saying if you’re going to have a crack at him have a crack at me first because this is my decision.”

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ban this guy, consistently post repetitive shit.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Gus might've directed most of the pressure towards himself but he still managed to slap a big fat target on Baz's back and give the media another angle to go with. At least no one has uploaded the Burton article yet :tearsofjoy:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This could have been avoided by making Flanagan a late inclusion instead of naming him on Tuesday.. Now it's even more of a distraction and media frenzy than before.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lazy and predictable story. Do these muppets realise general managers actually have a role to play e.g. player development?

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my point of view, it’s not complicated.

Flanagan was unwanted by the club, and had completely lost any confidence he had.

Gus knew this and told him, then took on a mentorship-type role in trying to get Flanagan’s career back on track.

Barrett, knowing Gus is working with Flanagan, asks Gus’ permission to select him.

Not sure why this is an article, and there’s no reason to assume Barrett isn’t running the team.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Its a very interesting video for those that haven't seen it.

For the first time it has been made public by Gus that Gus is in fact part of team selections. He is still denying he is part of the coaching staff, yet in the same breath said that we will play to suit Flanagan's strengths, not Flanagan playing to suit the teams strengths.

The writing is on the wall for Barrett.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Get off our dick man

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Questions have been raised around who is running the Bulldogs team this season - coach Trent Barrett or general manager Phil Gould.

Gould revealed this week that Barrett had to sort his permission to pick halfback Kyle Flanagan for the Dogs’ clash against Penrith on Sunday.

Flanagan, who Gould also said is the club’s highest-paid playmaker, was not selected in the opening four rounds of the season.

Barrett went with Jake Averillo for the first two rounds before axing him in favour of Brandon Wakeham.

But after losing 44-0 to the Storm last week, the Bulldogs have changed their halves again - this time with Flanagan coming in to partner Matt Burton.

“It’s not Trent Barrett who has made a decision on when he comes back to first grade,” Gould told WWOS.

“Trent wanted him in the side, but he came and asked me for permission to do it. I could have easily said no if I didn’t think he was ready. I said yes.”

Gould also revealed that he had a two-hour meeting with Flanagan after the trials.

“I said at the moment, ‘I don’t think the NRL is the place for you, I don’t think you can help the team and you can’t help them at the moment. But we need to reset you career and that could mean some time in reserve grade’,” Gould said.

Flanagan has been impressive for the undefeated Dogs in New South Wales Cup over the past month. Last week he scored a try, set up another, ran for 135 metres and had two linebreaks.

“I applaud Trent Barrett for making the call but the comments from Phil Gould... now they were interesting,” SMH journalist Adam Pengilly told Big Sports Breakfast radio on Friday.

“For him to come out and say I’ve been handling Kyle Flanagan this whole pre-season and I’ll determine when he comes back to first grade, Trent Barrett almost seems like he’s call Gus to ask permission to pick Kyle Flanagan.

“Now for me, the question has got to be asked, who is actually running this team?”

Rugby League great Laurie Daley responded by saying he believes Gould is simply protecting the club.

“I think it was a double play by Gus, I think it’s Gus taking the pressure off Trent,” Daley said.

“I’ve got no doubt that Gus would be looking at Kyle Flanagan and Trent would be stupid not to utilise him and (Gould’s) ability to be able to tell when a player is ready.

“I think in the off-season they would have discussed what was the best way forward for Kyle and Baz probably said ‘I don’t think he’s ready to play’ and Gus would have said well I’ll have a look at him, I’ll watch him, I’ll talk to him and help develop him along with what you guys do on the field and when we think he’s ready to play I’ll let you know.

“I think that’s how it has unfolded and I reckon Trent would be stupid not to take the advice of Gus.

“But also Gus is being very smart in taking the pressure off Trent because he’s saying if you’re going to have a crack at him have a crack at me first because this is my decision.”
It's Obvious @Flanagun runs the Bulldogs

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no inside info whatsoever but my guess is that this is completely made up by Gus in order to take heat off both Flanno and Baz.

There is no way in the world that the fox journos havent got their info from Shane Flanagan. And if the plan all along was to play Kyle for a month in reggies and then pick him in first grade then Shane wouldnt have bitched to his colleagues as much as he obviously has.

Gus is the master of spin. I have no problem with that. This is his way of discrediting the fox journos who have bagged Baz out all week for his treatment of Kyle. He is pretty much telling them that he is solely responsible for how the club has treated Kyle

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its a very interesting video for those that haven't seen it.

For the first time it has been made public by Gus that Gus is in fact part of team selections. He is still denying he is part of the coaching staff, yet in the same breath said that we will play to suit Flanagan's strengths, not Flanagan playing to suit the teams strengths.

The writing is on the wall for Barrett.
He also said, not part of coaching staff, but is at nearly all sessions, and wants to be close (or words similiar)

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All Gus said he was taking care or flamingo and help him with his well-being after the media made a big thing when flamingo cried.
Now the media is at it again lol.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why can’t Gus and board just send a legally worded warning shot to the journos?

If everything they have said is incorrect then they are liable for a defamation claim

Axel_75

Waterboy
Reaction score
Who's running the team?

Baz: "Do you think he is ready?"
Gus: "Yes"
Baz: "So do I. I'm going to pick him this week."

End of story.

Media beats it up and we read/ listen to the dribble. They are cockroaches.
Most sports journalists write fiction to sell papers. Most commentators like the clowns on Fox are just giving their twisted opinions to get ratings, whatever the consequence or fallout. They want to see heads roll. They add nothing to the discussion, there is no balance, they are just after a headline.

Why is Rothfield's opinion valued? No idea, someone please tell me. Move him on.
Anasta wasn't happy when he was bagged by the media when he received the most overrated player award, year after year. Yet he is happy to dish it out to coaches, players and teams, and not consider all the facts. Where's the balance Braith?

In terms of occupational respect, sports journalists/commentators have to be down there, well below realestate agents.

When we read or listen to this stuff, remember....... its is a fabrication to get our attention.

Go the Dogs!