News ‘It was pretty ordinary’: Bulldogs players break ranks over Ciraldo’s ‘shark bait’ punishment

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And you know this for a fact?
No, I dont. But this does seem to be the case. If not RFM, then substitute any other players name. Same standards should be met by all, and reinforced by all. If not, then your not a true Bulldog.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
you’re missing an important aspect here. Based on the various accounts of what transpired, at least 10 current and former players and coaches have defended our coach’s actions, so even if it was less serious than what they say, the point is, judging by all these comments since Ciro’s interview, it’s not unusual and not bullying or cruel or whatever else the media called it. Cameron Smith and Denan Kemp on their show, Dylan Edwards, Trent Robinson, Tallis, Anasta, the list goes on.

It doesn’t matter if what has been reported is true or exaggerated. Because even the exaggerated report if it’s that, has been defended by numerous sources outside of our club.
The part you are missing is not one fan, current player or ex-player would be disputing consequences for breaking the team code or standards. Break them and suffer the consequences of team sport.

It is the wholesale condemning of the player without the whole facts and only information as presented by the alarmist media and not as explained by Gus and CC on how they want this to be handled that should be the main issue with this.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get RFM wanting to back the players, fair enough he feels this is his duty as club captain, but he’s gotta understand he’s the root cause of the problem now. From everything that I have heard and been told, he’s the one that’s created this. I really hope the player on mental health leave doesn’t become a pawn in this. He’s still young and a decade of footy ahead of him.
Depending on how he handles this, there may be no footy ahead of him. What club would take on a potential trouble maker, and what sort of money would he attract?

He'd be better looking elsewhere for employment because his life will be a trial in the NRL, especially the sledging from rival players on the field.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? As club captain he should have reinforced the values of our club coach and told them, "if you want to win games and play in a successful team you need to listen to your coach, stop moaning, and harden the fuck up!!".
Ciraldo knows what success looks like, and im not even sure RFM has played finals football. Perhaps he should better understand his role as club captain, which I assume is to drive home the importance of the clubs culture, the culture that Ciraldo is pushing to install in the players. Instead RFM say, "your right bro, chur for sharing bro. You shouldn't have to train so hard for that 200k + salary. I will have a chat to the boss. Chur".
Funny, reading this reminded me of how Ray can be an immature, giggly little boy sometimes. There was a clip of him and Alamoti iirc, where they can’t stop laughing about something dumb. It may have been Topine or that’s in a separate clip.

My point is he may have gotten in over his head. Ciro said he wanted him to be club captain (which is surprising but who knows how he came to that decision) and not many players are going to turn that down. The video where it happens, Ray is sort of overcome with emotion, which is good, but also a worry. The fact he can have a childish mindset at times is an issue it seems. Now for on field he went with Mahoney who leads by his actions, and Burton, who isn’t a good choice.

Some of the fault for this mess is on Ciro, as he made the mistake of putting his faith in the wrong person or people. For leaders you need hard arses that aren’t going to let any bs slide. That’s why we keep hearing the likes of Mase, Ogre and Bobcat mentioned. James Graham was the same and Jacko to a certain extent. Jacko was more of an example with his work ethic and being punctual. That’s one thing about Cam Smith’s take on this that stood out to me. To many people it may sound not very important, but he said punctuality is crucial. He also said that this player not being on time, affects everyone, not just him and a few others. It holds up the whole session. Obviously players will be late from time to time, but this is why they punish it.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funny, reading this reminded me of how Ray can be an immature, giggly little boy sometimes. There was a clip of him and Alamoti iirc, where they can’t stop laughing about something dumb. It may have been Topine or that’s in a separate clip.

My point is he may have gotten in over his head. Ciro said he wanted him to be club captain (which is surprising but who knows how he came to that decision) and not many players are going to turn that down. The video where it happens, Ray is sort of overcome with emotion, which is good, but also a worry. The fact he can have a childish mindset at times is an issue it seems. Now for on field he went with Mahoney who leads by his actions, and Burton, who isn’t a good choice.

Some of the fault for this mess is on Ciro, as he made the mistake of putting his faith in the wrong person or people. For leaders you need hard arses that aren’t going to let any bs slide. That’s why we keep hearing the likes of Mase, Ogre and Bobcat mentioned. James Graham was the same and Jacko to a certain extent. Jacko was more of an example with his work ethic and being punctual. That’s one thing about Cam Smith’s take on this that stood out to me. To many people it may sound not very important, but he said punctuality is crucial. He also said that this player not being on time, affects everyone, not just him and a few others. It holds up the whole session. Obviously players will be late from time to time, but this is why they punish it.
Well said - big difference between cheerleaders and club leaders. Leadership is more about strong character than a popular personality.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is the wholesale condemning of the player without the whole facts and only information as presented by the alarmist media and not as explained by Gus and CC on how they want this to be handled that should be the main issue with this.
Gus has confirmed what happened. Player was late, was punished, then a week later a third party contacted the club and informed them that the player was not fit to come in. He has been on leave since then and has been receiving treatment and support from the club. A medical report was completed in the last couple of days and Gus was due to meet with the player and manager to discuss.

I don’t know about “condemning” the player. I know people have posted comments like they need to harden up or the like, but that’s a fact. You do have to be tough enough to deal with consequences. That’s not a judgment call, it’s the reality. I don’t feel any contempt for the player at all. I feel sorry for them, but if it’s as has been reported (any of the various accounts) then I’m sorry, an NRL career is probably not for you.

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score

The issue was who else was there to put in the captains role? IMO Jacko was never suited to the role, you need that alpha dog to run the pups which is why we have declined over an extended period. The club never tried to recuit another Jammer and that was a big mistake. Now we have a team who run crying to the media cause they failed at the standards required of the team.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
You are off your fucken head
no, gould came in 1995 and tried to sign away all the bulldogs players, he tried to get thurston to break contract, willie mason did break his contract to go to the roosters and sbw broke contract and had a handshake agreement with the roosters to go there

he mocked the way the bulldogs play when we lost a semi final as outdated, he attacked the clubs style, every other team can lose a semi final without getting a speech from gould about their style not working, but gould wanted to make a point about us and i was on the kennel at the time and saw what these comments did

Phil Gould 100% Correct. | The Kennel Forum

Folkes Super Thread | Page 15 | The Kennel Forum

this tricked the dumb ass bulldogs fans and members to switch course, they voted in goulds man Dunn as a bulldogs board member, the new board didn't renew folkes contract, changed the club and modernised it, turned it over to Hasler who turned it to shit

all those braindead kennelers who were tricked by gould and wanted the club to change, they got their wish and they are probably now complaining that we changed and that the club should have stayed true to its identity

if gould was a bulldogs man and knew about the bulldogs culture then he would have shut the fuck up in 2007, he would say that the bulldogs are just ending their cycle due to salary cap pressure and that they would bounce back, but he was a roosters man

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
folkes was an incredible coach who helped produce an incredible array of star players in the 2000's, we got rid of him because people assumed gould knows what he is talking about because he is on TV, then the club turned to shit and these people want gould to restore us ffs

2007 "gould is correct the club is shit, lets change it"

2023 "gould is correct the club was good 20 years ago and is now shit"

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i really hope brisbane win the title so i can make a thread about gould ripping kevin walters for thinking they can win the title in 3 years and that the only way brisbane can get back to winning is by his long term strategy

that would really wake up some people who think there is only one way to win and gould is the only person on the planet who knows about it lol

my penis is getting interested thinking about it, the thread will be called Kevin Walters knocks off Goulds panthers structure inside of 3 years

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interesting comments to say the least on this subject.

My takes on the punishment first then more on the culture and program.

Shark Bait and the players who felt it was out of line or confused by the tactic would probably never have worked enough with Gracie Jiu Jitsu as its an old Brazilian technique which I have personally also experienced in my years on the mat. Does it feel uncomfortable? 100 percent but similarly it makes you harder and more resilient. I do feel the boys at Smeaton Grange wouldn't have any problems in this process.

Sorry for the guys who can't handle this but it does highlight they either need more work or perhaps they were not going to ever make the next level. The choice is always theirs to what they will do as a result of their actions and attitude.

I applaud the Coach and club for trying to set the standards to the level required to be successful.

In terms of the management of the public attention and Media. We cannot control all of the narrative but I would not allow them to have the NRL or RLPA dilute our position in this either.

The Culture has been diabolical for many years and with the projection over next 3 - 6 years of development and establishing our new identity we will be a much better club thanks to this line in the sand moment.

In terms of who the players are and their careers we may know in time, but again I think it would be wise to simply let them move on without them been exposed to the public as I don't see any benefit to either parties. Some may disagree here.
All we would be doing is giving more dirt for the media to peddle. I'm tired of the negative reports and scuttlebutt.
Lets move onto the next chapter in this clubs journey and put this deplorable season to rest.
No doubt some would want more accountability but at the end of the day the players and Coaching staff know the the identity of the said player. The player and their own supporters will in time move on without a doubt.
Focusing on the future and the standards Ciro and his team are building should be where we all continue to focus.
Well done to Mase and many others who have supported the Club and Coach alike.

Bulldogs 4 life

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Interesting comments to say the least on this subject.

My takes on the punishment first then more on the culture and program.

Shark Bait and the players who felt it was out of line or confused by the tactic would probably never have worked enough with Gracie Jiu Jitsu as its an old Brazilian technique which I have personally also experienced in my years on the mat. Does it feel uncomfortable? 100 percent but similarly it makes you harder and more resilient. I do feel the boys at Smeaton Grange wouldn't have any problems in this process.

Sorry for the guys who can't handle this but it does highlight they either need more work or perhaps they were not going to ever make the next level. The choice is always theirs to what they will do as a result of their actions and attitude.

I applaud the Coach and club for trying to set the standards to the level required to be successful.

In terms of the management of the public attention and Media. We cannot control all of the narrative but I would not allow them to have the NRL or RLPA dilute our position in this either.

The Culture has been diabolical for many years and with the projection over next 3 - 6 years of development and establishing our new identity we will be a much better club thanks to this line in the sand moment.

In terms of who the players are and their careers we may know in time, but again I think it would be wise to simply let them move on without them been exposed to the public as I don't see any benefit to either parties. Some may disagree here.
All we would be doing is giving more dirt for the media to peddle. I'm tired of the negative reports and scuttlebutt.
Lets move onto the next chapter in this clubs journey and put this deplorable season to rest.
No doubt some would want more accountability but at the end of the day the players and Coaching staff know the the identity of the said player. The player and their own supporters will in time move on without a doubt.
Focusing on the future and the standards Ciro and his team are building should be where we all continue to focus.
Well done to Mase and many others who have supported the Club and Coach alike.

Bulldogs 4 life
Well said Wazza. Let the club deal with it now and base our opinions on facts as presented by Gus and Ciro.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The loudest in our team song is the player in question.

He did turn up late whilst the lads were in the gym session doing wrestling drills.

He was asked to stay back and wrestle 10 players 1 after the other. During or after he said f this and walked out.

It is toxic. Because the Sutton incident happened a week later. Has any player played since?

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Oh yeah the Kennel darling and poster boy