News ‘It makes the good times that much sweeter’: How Flanagan found his groove again

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Written By
Martin Gabor from Nca Newswire
March 14th, 2023 6:13 pm
Fox sports

Kyle Flanagan has revealed how he bounced back from a brutal couple of years on the field to become one of Canterbury’s most important players.

Bulldogs halfback Kyle Flanagan hasn’t had the smoothest ride on the rugby league rollercoaster, but a change in scenery and a new attacking philosophy appear to have worked wonders for the youngster.

After stints with the Sharks and Roosters, Flanagan was seen as the type of player who could help the Bulldogs out of their funk, but for two seasons he was made the scapegoat for their attacking woes.

The 24-year-old recorded just eight try assists from 20 matches last season and was criticised for not getting involved enough, but the early signs in 2023 are that he’s relishing the new game plan under Cameron Ciraldo, who spent years working with superstar Nathan Cleary.

Flanagan was the perfect foil for Matt Burton last week, setting up a try and running the ball seven times as Canterbury’s right edge destroyed the Storm out wide.

The halfback played with confidence and spoke with that same energy on Tuesday, keen to avoid looking back at the tough times he’s endured lately and focus more on the good times ahead.

“Let’s not go there,” he replied when asked about how hard things got.

“When you go through the rugby league rollercoaster, you have those times, but it makes the good times that much sweeter. That’s how I look at it.

“I just feel like I’m in a good place mentally. I’m really enjoying my football and it’s starting to show on the football field.

“I don’t want to get ahead of myself too early, but I’m really enjoying myself and I’m in a good space off the field as well. I’m enjoying coming into training, working under Cam and the combinations.”

That newfound confidence has been helped by a willingness to move the ball with more freedom – something that was missing in round one but clicked into gear against the Storm.

It’s something we should expect to see more often down the track, with Flanagan keen to continue his development on and off the field, which has been fast-tracked by his decision to move out of the family home.

“Maybe moving out to my own place may have helped out. I’m becoming my own man,” he said.

“It’s the next stage of my life and becoming a man. I’m living in my own home with my partner and I’m really enjoying that.

“I definitely feel really confident in my own game. I’ve always had the mentality that I want to improve each week and get better every game. I’ll continue to do that.”

Last edited:

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kyle Flanagan has revealed how he bounced back from a brutal couple of years on the field to become one of Canterbury’s most important players.

Bulldogs halfback Kyle Flanagan hasn’t had the smoothest ride on the rugby league rollercoaster, but a change in scenery and a new attacking philosophy appear to have worked wonders for the youngster.

After stints with the Sharks and Roosters, Flanagan was seen as the type of player who could help the Bulldogs out of their funk, but for two seasons he was made the scapegoat for their attacking woes.

The 24-year-old recorded just eight try assists from 20 matches last season and was criticised for not getting involved enough, but the early signs in 2023 are that he’s relishing the new game plan under Cameron Ciraldo, who spent years working with superstar Nathan Cleary.

Flanagan was the perfect foil for Matt Burton last week, setting up a try and running the ball seven times as Canterbury’s right edge destroyed the Storm out wide.

The halfback played with confidence and spoke with that same energy on Tuesday, keen to avoid looking back at the tough times he’s endured lately and focus more on the good times ahead.

“Let’s not go there,” he replied when asked about how hard things got.

“When you go through the rugby league rollercoaster, you have those times, but it makes the good times that much sweeter. That’s how I look at it.

“I just feel like I’m in a good place mentally. I’m really enjoying my football and it’s starting to show on the football field.

“I don’t want to get ahead of myself too early, but I’m really enjoying myself and I’m in a good space off the field as well. I’m enjoying coming into training, working under Cam and the combinations.”

That newfound confidence has been helped by a willingness to move the ball with more freedom – something that was missing in round one but clicked into gear against the Storm.

It’s something we should expect to see more often down the track, with Flanagan keen to continue his development on and off the field, which has been fast-tracked by his decision to move out of the family home.

“Maybe moving out to my own place may have helped out. I’m becoming my own man,” he said.

“It’s the next stage of my life and becoming a man. I’m living in my own home with my partner and I’m really enjoying that.

“I definitely feel really confident in my own game. I’ve always had the mentality that I want to improve each week and get better every game. I’ll continue to do that.”

Who wrote this f’king article?

Shane Flanagan????

FFS…. Nearly every hit up Flanagan did against a depleted Storm team was like slow motion, he never beats the first man tackling him & the stupid waving of the hand behind hisback for a sweeping runner is absolutely a f’king stupid attacking play that you don’t even use in backyard footy & does NOT fool any opposition player

Sir dogeth style

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i know everyone rides flanno but honestly this sounds like pretty good news when you look deeper into it

flanno was under a lot of pressure before he came on board, then he had barret the clown as coach and by the sounds of things barret made life very uncomfortable for flanno

then when rumor got around that we wanted a new coach, any speculation around flanno snr was probably taken very personal by barret and taken out on kyle, than any inside back and forth stuff between baz and flanno snr

flanno snr being in kyles ear 24/7

now he has own place, getting his dick sucked every night and can now focus on footy without outsiders in his ear 24/7

so in reality this could be good, and we will be watching closely to see this progress

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think he was bad last week but the reality is for everything good thing he does, he does one thing that makes you go what the hell are you thinking.
I do think he’s reached his ceiling and the reality is he’s keeping the seat warm for someone with more talent than him.

Time will tell if he goes any further

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I will say about Kyle is that he tries his absolute ass off every game. I am by no means his biggest fan and I still don’t think he is an NRL halfback. He lacks leg speed and also leg drive to make a break. I can’t actually remember him ever making a line break.

He also lacks the power of a long kicking game. Sometimes these things can’t be taught. If you ain’t got it you ain’t got it.

But no one tries harder than him and he should be proud of that.

So good luck in England (or the Wests Tigers) next year mate